Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
I've never seen her drive without at least 4,000 rpms wound-up on the tach (in case she needs to drop the hammer)

I think that just about sums it up right there.... The S leaves you with the ability to pass easily on command and the non S drives much like Markstudy's wife does as mentioned above.

Not saying one is better than the other, I just like having the torque on command. I've had entirely too many cars that I'd have to shift down a gear and keeps the rpm's up so I could sling shot around a car to pass.

Definitely more fun but I'll stick with the "bigger is better" frame of mind for now.

Mark

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I will probably be annoyed no end. There I've said it... My ego probably won't allow me to get a base. If anyone has a cure for that please share. :hilarious:
2 part answer...

The ego question is pretty simple... if you have a "ego" get the "S".
I got beat by a Nissan GTR, Audi R8, and a 600hp Viper just driving down the highway in my base car. But it didn't hurt my ego... I just don't care, maybe its a factor of my age as I get older, I feel I don't have anything to prove to anyone.

I was just happy they did their little macho drag race thing on the straight section of the highway... an were out of my way by the time I got to the twisty part, which is where I like to have my fun. Life is full of drivers (I've even had trucks and SUV do this) who go speeding by at stupid speeds on the straight sections of the highway, only to stand on the brakes as the corners come up. I don't race anyone because I'll stay slow in the straight section so I can accelerate all the way through the long curves that are common in my local area. My base Cayman is fast where I want it to be. Funny I've never had anyone try to hang with me in the curves. I think its because I can push my engine in the curves without fear of a sudden HP spike. Some of my friends with 500hp cars, told me they worry their car will break-loose and they'll lose the rear-end if they're not extremely careful with the application of the accelerator pedal in the curves... so they stick to straight line racing as they don't want to find out what happens when they find the limit +1 mph. Personally, I love to be on the limit in the curves and I'm not worried about a engine that will over power the chassis... I think the base Cayman is very well balanced in that way. My friends ask me how fast my car will go and I tell them XXXX and then pause for a minute, before adding "but that's my speed while I'm going around a corner." I've never tried for straight-line top speed as I don't find driving in a straight line that interresting, and I don't have enough public road to try something like that anyway ;)

The more interesting part of this, is what are the traffic laws like in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia? In the USA, some states have passed laws that come with severe punishments if you are pulled over for speeds over 100mph.

When in doubt... get the "S"
I had no doubt, but that's because I was able to test drive both car back-to-back and took my time to find the one that fit my personality :cheers:

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
I was like that when I use to race on the track. I was faster in my Honda 600cc sport bike than I was in my Honda 954. I could keep the tach bouncing off the 14K redline and pull smoothly through the turns. I wouldn't dare do that on the 954 because the front wheel would come up and I'd find myself face first in the dirt.

Kinda like going to the track in a Miata, they don't go very fast but they go fast enough allll the time that they make up for straightaways.

Mark

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My wife learned her driving style over 10 years in a low torque Mazda Miata, so she starts each gear at 4,000 rpms, I've never seen her drive without at least 4,000 rpms wound-up on the tach (in case she needs to drop the hammer) ;)
I think that just about sums it up right there.... The S leaves you with the ability to pass easily on command and the non S drives much like Markstudy's wife does as mentioned above.
Definitely more fun but I'll stick with the "bigger is better" frame of mind for now.
Yep! My only problem is when I put my wife in a "S" for a test drive ... the first thing she did was wind-up the RPM's to beyond 4,000 and I could see trouble before we even got to the highway :burnout:

Enjoy your new "S" :cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts

Not saying one is better than the other, I just like having the torque on command. I've had entirely too many cars that I'd have to shift down a gear and keeps the rpm's up so I could sling shot around a car to pass.

Mark
You have a 315 Hp "S" not a 500 HP 911 Turbo. I seriously doubt there is much noticable difference in passing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think I heard a stat that more Cayman S cars where sold in the first year 2006, then all the 987.2 cars sold between 2009-2012?
If I recall correctly, Porsche did not start selling the Base Cayman until the 2007 model year. During the 2006 model year I think only the S was available. That may explain some of the sales volume difference, but my impression is that Porsche aggressively markets the S model because it fits with their image of what a sports car is AND their profit margin is probably higher.

I drive a Base and for street use it has more than enough tongue and HP for my purposes. I love it!

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
165 Posts
Traffic laws in Malaysia suck like everywhere else. Max speed is 110kph! The Automatic Enforcement System just came into effect, where a public private partnership has installed speed sensitive IR cameras that take photos of your car (even in the dead of night) upon surpassing a 5-10 kmh threshold from the speed limit. They then send you a ticket to your vehicle registered address to settle a usd$100 fine within 7 days. Accumulation of a certain number of unpaid tickets leads to inability to renew Road tax or drivers license. Needless to say the private contractor takes a big piece out of the fines to pay for the nationwide system and its maintenance. .... yup, we got some major a**holes out here but then again they're everywhere.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Wysiwyg

·
Registered
21 Posts
You have a 315 Hp "S" not a 500 HP 911 Turbo. I seriously doubt there is much noticable difference in passing.
I've driven enough of both the 981 and 981S to know that there is a significant difference in the low-end torque. Thus, passing without a downshift is certainly more achievable in the S. On the other hand, I see passing as an opportunity to downshift and enjoy that glorious engine wail (I do it regardless of which I'm driving).

But I do agree with the overall sentiment here. Sometimes it seems like the whole 981 vs 981S gets a little overblown given the relatively modest power difference (19% more peak HP, 29% more torque) between the models. We certainly aren't talking about a water rocket versus a Saturn V.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Some what related:

X51 kit for the 991S--Adds 30HP + more TQ; Price: $11K plus labor.

X51 Carrera S Power Kit:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

If you looks at he parts list, it includes new heads, different induction system, third radiator and reworked ECU. I'd hate to think of how much the labor might cost I'm thinking at the minimum a couple of days at $130/hr making the total package cost something near $15K for 30HP or $500/HP.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Some what related:

X51 kit for the 991S--Adds 30HP + more TQ; Price: $11K plus labor.

X51 Carrera S Power Kit:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

If you looks at he parts list, it includes new heads, different induction system, third radiator and reworked ECU. I'd hate to think of how much the labor might cost I'm thinking at the minimum a couple of days at $130/hr making the total package cost something near $15K for 30HP or $500/HP.
That dyno chart appears to be wrong, one of the sets of curves start around 5200 RPM.

The intake port rework was predicted by Len;
A Tale Of Three Heads:The 3.4Lineage M96,M97,9A1 | Hoffman Automotive Machine Inc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You must have a base then.

:taunt:

Mark
Mark, your emotion you added to your post speaks volumes about where you are coming from in the post. That aside my previous car was a 325 HP Carrera which has more hp/tq than your "S" so I know something about the differences between that and the 265 HP 981 base which I currently drive, so I stand by my original statement.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't know about that, Jim. After driving 2.5L /2.7L boxsters for 13 years, this thing feels like a bleeping rocket ship by comparison. The base 981 is certainly faster than those two cars and manual car I drove felt quick, but the 3.4L seems to respond more immediately with less throttle input.

That said I don't think most Boxster owners--certainly those that owned earlier 2.5L cars--will feel short changed at all. For all practical purposes, the 981 is as a quick as the 986 3.2L.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My car has just been ordered, and I went back and forth trying to decide whether to go with the base or the S. I actually ordered a base, but the next day called and upgraded to the S. The difference was $6,000, less than I thought because the option packages cost less in the S.

Coming off a 436 hp Corvette, I was afraid I would miss the extra torque of the S. I also was afraid I would always second guess my choice if I got the base ... always wondering if I should have gotten the S.

My choice had to be made without the benefit of a test drive. It's winter, there's snow on the ground, and no dealer would allow a test drive under these conditions. Either way, I'm sure there was really no wrong choice here.

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Mark, your emotion you added to your post speaks volumes about where you are coming from in the post. That aside my previous car was a 325 HP Carrera which has more hp/tq than your "S" so I know something about the differences between that and the 265 HP 981 base which I currently drive, so I stand by my original statement.

Not quite sure how to take that but in either case I have no issues with each choice, I just prefer something different.

Either way, I'm sure there was really no wrong choice here.

There's no such thing as a bad choice in any 981. There isn't a option in this entire car I would say I wish I hadn't got... s, non s, PDK, manual, color, all of them would have put a smile on my face.

Mark

·
Registered
441 Posts
Coming off a vette I think you made the right choice with the S. I actually think this is the largest factor in deciding between base vs S... That is what other cars are you driving now. The Porsche should be the fastest, or I'd think you would be let down somewhat.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There isn't a option in this entire car I would say I wish I hadn't got... s, non s, PDK, manual, color, all of them would have put a smile on my face.

Mark
Agreed - although there are a couple I wish I had checked (rear sensors and platinum finish wheels).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Agreed - although there are a couple I wish I had checked (rear sensors and platinum finish wheels).
I wish I hadn't somehow overlooked the Porsche crest in the headrests...oh well, I guess I'll survive.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I don't know about that, Jim. After driving 2.5L /2.7L boxsters for 13 years, this thing feels like a bleeping rocket ship by comparison. The base 981 is certainly faster than those two cars and manual car I drove felt quick, but the 3.4L seems to respond more immediately with less throttle input.

That said I don't think most Boxster owners--certainly those that owned earlier 2.5L cars--will feel short changed at all. For all practical purposes, the 981 is as a quick as the 986 3.2L.
To put the car into perspective, at least from PCA Zone 8's perspective. Here are some of the stock classes. 981 is in same class as 987S and 981S is in same class as 997S and 991.

SS02: 986 Boxster S (2000-2004), 987 Boxster (2005-2012), 987 Cayman (2006-2012), 993 911 Carrera (inc. S) (1995-1998)

SS03: 964 911 Turbo (1991-1994), 996 Carrera (inc. C4S) (1999-2005)

SS04: 987 Boxster S (2005-2012), 987 Cayman S (2006-2012), 981 Boxster (2013-), 981 Cayman (2013 -)

SS05: 997 Carrera (2005-2011), 997 Carrera S (2005-2008)

SS06: 987 Boxster Spyder (2010-2012), 987 Cayman R (2011-2012), 981 Boxster S (2013-), 981 Cayman S (2013-), 997 Carrera S (2009-2011), 991 911 Carrera (2012-)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts