Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When doing a recent search of the Tire Rack website for tires found that Bridgestone has a new extreme performance tire, the Potenza S007A. Since this tire has the correct speed rating and an attractive price I am considering it for replacement of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires I currently have on the Boxster. Before I decide it would be helpful if Tire Rack would provide a comparison of the two tires. My Boxster is a daily driver which is autocrossed maybe 15 to 20 times a year.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Agreed I'd like to see that comparison also. However, I've got to point out that Michelin PS2 and 4S have yet to lose a comparison that I've seen. We'll see, but based on the last Potenza offerings Bridgestone has a long way to go to beat out Michelin.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Agreed I'd like to see that comparison also. However, I've got to point out that Michelin PS2 and 4S have yet to lose a comparison that I've seen. We'll see, but based on the last Potenza offerings Bridgestone has a long way to go to beat out Michelin.
Bridgestone RE-71R is Bridgestone's top-tier Extreme performance street tire and significantly faster than MP4S; BF Goodrich Rival S is faster than MP4S, too.

However, S007A is a new design reportedly intended to fall between S-04 and RE-71R. It looks like it's designed for better wet performance than RE-71R, and was classed by TireRack as an extreme performance tire which is the same category as RE-71R and RivalS and above the max performance category MP4S and S-04 are in. It has a 240 treadwear which seems to indicate a soft gripply compound, but the tread pattern looks a lot more like a max performance tire. The old S007 was OE on some Ferraris, if the name is any indication. I'm interested to see the tests, too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
@sjfehr: You provided a lot of assertions but not one reference to a comparison test. Can you provide some references I could read up on. As I said, I've never seen a comparison that beat Michelins in overall performance as a street tire and I'd like to. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
@sjfehr: You provided a lot of assertions but not one reference to a comparison test. Can you provide some references I could read up on. As I said, I've never seen a comparison that beat Michelins in overall performance as a street tire and I'd like to. Thanks!
Go to your local autocross and look at what everyone is using. It is the RE-71R. The 4S is a daily driver tire, not a max performance tire.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to your local autocross and look at what everyone is using. It is the RE-71R. The 4S is a daily driver tire, not a max performance tire.
Tire Rack classifies both the RE-71R and S007A as Extreme Performance tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is classified as Max Performance tire. If you are willing to sacrifice the characteristic of a good street tire for results on an autocross course use the RE-71Rs. I autocross with the 4S and don't generally get embarrassed by those running RE-71Rs. My interest in the S007A tires is that Tire Rack classifies them as a Extreme Performance tire plus they have the proper speed rating unlike the RE-71Rs. The Extreme Performance tire rating implies that they would possibly be quicker at autocross without sacrificing good street tire qualities.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tire Rack classifies both the RE-71R and S007A as Extreme Performance tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is classified as Max Performance tire. If you are willing to sacrifice the characteristic of a good street tire for results on an autocross course use the RE-71Rs. I autocross with the 4S and don't generally get embarrassed by those running RE-71Rs. My interest in the S007A tires is that Tire Rack classifies them as a Extreme Performance tire plus they have the proper speed rating unlike the RE-71Rs. The Extreme Performance tire rating implies that they would possibly be quicker at autocross without sacrificing good street tire qualities.
"Proper speed rating"? RE-71R are rated to 168mph. And are pretty awesome street tires, too. Speed rating is an almost arbitrary number related to heat generation from load and sustained speed. Manufacturers pick the combo more for market reasons than anything else; they could just as easily rated RE-71R higher speed at a slightly lower load, or MP4S as 168mph tires at a higher load level. So unless you plan on loading up 3000lbs of extra ballast and driving at 169mph+ for hours at a time, they're going to be fine.

:drivingskid:

MP4S will last longer, will have less road noise, and better ride comfort, but with less grip. That's the tradeoff between Max Performance and Extreme Performance. Will be interesting to see how S007 compares to other top tires.

·
Registered
832 Posts
@sjfehr and @nitro805 , So it really depends on what you want from your tire. When I said I've never seen a comparison that the Michelins did not win I'm talking overall performance including street not track maximum performance. I can see if you want to maximize your track and autocross with some compromise to your daily driving performance then the Bridgestone is your choice. On the other hand if you want to maximize your daily drive performance then Michelins are probably the way to go. Myself I don't track or autocross. I want the best daily driver performance with an emphasis on comfort, NVH, with a tire that still performs very well on that occasional sprint through the mountains. So, that always seems to end up with Michelins.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@sjfehr and @nitro805 , So it really depends on what you want from your tire. When I said I've never seen a comparison that the Michelins did not win I'm talking overall performance including street not track maximum performance. I can see if you want to maximize your track and autocross with some compromise to your daily driving performance then the Bridgestone is your choice. On the other hand if you want to maximize your daily drive performance then Michelins are probably the way to go. Myself I don't track or autocross. I want the best daily driver performance with an emphasis on comfort, NVH, with a tire that still performs very well on that occasional sprint through the mountains. So, that always seems to end up with Michelins.
Base on this, I'd say the Michelin PS 4S is the right tire for your needs. And even if you do decide to autocross, there are several folks at our local PCA autocross events are running the PS 4S, and they are quite fast.

·
Registered
34,179 Posts
Would like to +1 on the RE-71R's (I have done several track events and they are amazing). However, in my previous car I really enjoyed the S04's so I suspect I would like the S01's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made the swap yesterday from Michelins to Bridgestone S007A tires yesterday. A bit cheaper than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. Probably could have waited a bit long but tired of looking at the message that one of tire pressure sensors had failed. I'll post as to how they perform once I do a few autocrosses and put some street miles on them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Made the swap yesterday from Michelins to Bridgestone S007A tires yesterday. A bit cheaper than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires. Probably could have waited a bit long but tired of looking at the message that one of tire pressure sensors had failed. I'll post as to how they perform once I do a few autocrosses and put some street miles on them.
I have now run 4 events on the Bridgestone S007A tires. Not sure that they any quicker or slower than the Michelins but they are approximately $300 cheaper per set. I don't notice any shoulder wear but then I haven't had any plowing pushing them through the slower corners. One of the events was on old asphalt pavement with fully crushed aggregate, two events were on a fairly new parking lot grade asphalt surface (a lot of round faces), and the most recent event was on aged Portland cement concrete. Alignment in the front is 0.8 degree negative and 1.8 degree negative in the rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have now run 4 events on the Bridgestone S007A tires. Not sure that they any quicker or slower than the Michelins but they are approximately $300 cheaper per set. I don't notice any shoulder wear but then I haven't had any plowing pushing them through the slower corners. One of the events was on old asphalt pavement with fully crushed aggregate, two events were on a fairly new parking lot grade asphalt surface (a lot of round faces), and the most recent event was on aged Portland cement concrete. Alignment in the front is 0.8 degree negative and 1.8 degree negative in the rear.
Thanks for the update. I am considering the S007A.
Is this overall a thumbs up then? no noticeable performance difference but $300 cheaper than Michelins?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the update. I am considering the S007A.
Is this overall a thumbs up then? no noticeable performance difference but $300 cheaper than Michelins?
I have done an additional two autocross events. The Bridgestone S007A tires have a stiffer sidewall than the Mitchelin 4S. Today I noted that while the outer edge in front didn't show wear some of the inner tread blocks did however. Probably signs of pushing them closer to limit than at earlier events. At the Saturday PCA event I finished 6th on PAX which is in the same neighborhood as I typically did when competing on the Michelins. Due to the stiffer sidewalls the Bridgestones ride rougher than the Michelins. Based upon the wear exhibited so far my guess is that the Bridgestones will not last as long as the Michelins. My recommendation for normal driving with an occasional autocross stick with the Michelins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done an additional two autocross events. The Bridgestone S007A tires have a stiffer sidewall than the Mitchelin 4S. Today I noted that while the outer edge in front didn't show wear some of the inner tread blocks did however. Probably signs of pushing them closer to limit than at earlier events. At the Saturday PCA event I finished 6th on PAX which is in the same neighborhood as I typically did when competing on the Michelins. Due to the stiffer sidewalls the Bridgestones ride rougher than the Michelins. Based upon the wear exhibited so far my guess is that the Bridgestones will not last as long as the Michelins. My recommendation for normal driving with an occasional autocross stick with the Michelins.
very helpful. cheers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tire Rack has now tested both the Pilot Sport 4s and the Potenza S007a but not head to head. Based upon the test results (numbers) and my experience the Pilot Sport 4s is probably slightly quicker on a autocross course. The numbers were very close. Wear wise based upon my experience one will probably get more miles out of a set of the Pilot Sport 4s tires though the Potenza S007a tires are less expensive. It still would be interesting to see a head to head test.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2 pennies...

1st, I don't have experience with the PS4s, but I have used the RE71-Rs and S007As, though neither as daily driver tires (I have Conti DWS06s for that), and I used them on track, not a/x.

The RE71s are incredible tires. Sticky. Fast. You name it. With that said, I got about 1300 miles on each of the two sets I used (driving to the track, a 300 mile r/t, and open lapping sessions), about 2-3 weekends worth. Couldn't afford to keep doing that so I decided to try the S007As and I've been really happy. My lap times at Oregon Raceway Park (a REALLY technical track) are within about a second of my times on the RE71s and I went a whole season on one set (12 open lapping days at ORP and one HPDE event at Portland Int'l). That's a trade I'll make every day of the week and twice on Sunday. And they're two-thirds the price.

If you're auto crossing and you trailer your car and/or tires, I'd go with the 71s. Otherwise I highly recommend the 007s.

(FYI, my car is a 2006 BASE Boxster that I've had for ten years. Got it with 22.5k miles and it now has 153k on the odometer.)

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
I haven't tracked the RE-71R's so I don't know about wear there but I just replaced mine after 4 years of autocross and street driving. Your situation is not what tptplynboxsterguy encountered. If you want a great autocross tire that are streetable and that last I would not considered anything else and I've used 6-8 different tires over the years. My next choice would be Conti ExtremeContact Sport or Pirelli PZ4 but I have no experience with the S007a. TireRack liked them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts