Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Excited new owner of a '06 Cayman S here. Been lurking for a bit, thanks for all the great discussion to date. :) My pressing request is for a competition alignment shop in Portland, OR, ideally also doing wheel mounting & balancing + TPMS install. Recs?

I've been autocrossing for a few years, this will be my competitive ride in SCCA & PCA. Also aim to do a DE event this year, get on the track for the first time! :burnout: I just ordered a set of O.Z. Alleggherita wheels & Pilot Sport PS2s for year-round use. I'll have some 19" OEM wheels to sell here pretty soon.... Then I have to pick my autocross wheels (probably same) & tires. Fun fun!

Thanks for your help! Sorry no pictures except this one the night it arrived: Welcome to the family, ma cherie! - ebacon's posterous

Cheers,
Liz

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Matrix Integrated in Portland has quite a bit of experience with Cayman's. I highly recommend them.

Ask for Jeremy he can help you out.

Steve

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You might want to check with Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems in Portland. I've dealt with him in the past and he is great to deal with.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Hi Liz,
Ditto to the first two recommendations. Also, Rothsport racing in Tualatin will do a great job.

Welcome to the ORPCA and autocross/DE here. We have a teriffic group and a great program. I look forward to seeing you out there. If you use R compound tires we will be in the same class. It is a great group and very competitive. I enjoy the comaraderie almost as much as the racing. The first event is March 13th at PIR for both autocross and DE--hope to see you there.

Barry :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the pointers, guys!

Barry, I really enjoyed the one PCA autox event I attended at the end of the season, just testing out the waters without my Porsche-to-be. (I've been autocrossing with SCCA for about five years off-and-on.) For 2010, I'm now on the fence about getting R-compounds as I am feeling lazy about dealing with a trailer & all that. I had thought I'd just do the roof rack thing but it's apparently not that great & we have that long trip to Packwood to consider.... Anyways, could you please tell me more about PCA autox classing wrt tire choice?? With Oregon Region SCCA, there's really no competitive street tire class (I usually run PAX) but what's the deal with PCA? Please PM me if you prefer, thanks!!

Cheers,
Liz

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Liz,
I am not sure why, but the site is not giving me the option to PM you. I have been using R compounds for a few years and do not trailer my car. I live about 10-12 miles from PIR and have found that those highway miles have not effected my tire longevity very much compared to actual autocross use. Many other members do the same at even longer distances. For Packwood there is usually someone willing to haul up tires for others. I can help you find someone to do this for you should you choose to go with R compounds.

Oregon region uses the PCA small region rules. Running your Cayman with street tires you will be in S1 (assuming no other performance mods). If you use R compound tires you will be in P5 which also allows a number of other performance enhancing modifications. Over the last two years I believe we regularly had one Cayman S in S1 and one in P5. I will be running R compounds in P5 (along with "Prepared" Boxster Ss). This link will take you to the ORPCA AX rules Events - Autocross - Ax Rules Regulations - Oregon Region Porsche Club of America

I know that in SCCA, Caymans have to run SS and are not very competitive, however, I have heard that there may be a new class for them this year so they will not have to run with Z06s etc.

I am glad to answer any other questions regarding the region. See if you can PM me or email me at [email protected]

Barry :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts