Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions (so far...) ;)

Is the included shifter a Short throw model (SSK) and or was it available as an option?

The roll bar, when unpainted, I know it has a non-smooth finish, but did it come in other colours to match the interior colour? I though I saw a picture where it was red to match the leather in one car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't know if it's a short throw model or not but that's the only shifter that came from factory as far as I am aware.

Mine is painted to match the exterior. Not sure 100% if that is an option. You are talking about the part that is facing outside right? Like so in the pic below?
20160429_171805.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
SSK is Standard on all models as it was with GT4.... No other choice but 6 speed tranny with SSK.... You could get shifter boot in optional deviated stitching for a cost or get leather boot (with leather steering wheel) as a no cost option.

Exterior Roll bars come standard as Matte Black....
Any other color is an an Option..... not sure if an exterior color roll bar you saw matching the red leather was a stand alone option, part of the Porsche Spyder Classic Interior option (doubt) or Owner added after the fact

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SSK is Standard on all models as it was with GT4.... No other choice but 6 speed tranny with SSK.... You could get shifter boot in optional deviated stitching for a cost or get leather boot (with leather steering wheel) as a no cost option.

Exterior Roll bars come standard as Matte Black....
Any other color is an an Option..... not sure if an exterior color roll bar you saw matching the red leather was a stand alone option, part of the Porsche Spyder Classic Interior option (doubt) or Owner added after the fact
By "all models..." bolded above you are referring the GT4/Spyder right, because it was not standard on the other 2016 mid engine cars with MT.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if it's a short throw model or not but that's the only shifter that came from factory as far as I am aware.

Mine is painted to match the exterior. Not sure 100% if that is an option. You are talking about the part that is facing outside right? Like so in the pic below?
View attachment 204323
I know that paint to match on the exterior was an option, as was possibly gloss black and aluminum look, but I was thinking more of the interior surface, I had the exterior done by the factory on my GTS and then I had the body shop do the interior piece to match, picture below. BTW, forgot how little of the hoop on the Spyder was visible from behind.

So for the interior of a 2016 Spyder I stole this picture of @SteveInNJ Spyder, as you can see the interior portion matches the interior colour of his car.

BTW, the reason for the questions is planning for the new Spyder (I hope)… :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and what about the LWBS, anyone remember the option price, could they be ordered with heat? How do you like them after a few years now?

Pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't know if they can be optioned with heat but I never ever felt once the seats were cold and I needed a seat heater. Pointless option even if it were available if you ask me. I think the price was 4750 USD for the seats. I love them.

As for the roll hoop good to know the front can be swapped. I know DB1 has a beautiful section of carbon fiber and I wanted to swap the stock bit out with that and that would match the rest of my interior trim that way. I really hate the classic red interior ugh. Too much red. Looks like I am sitting inside a baboon's ***. But then again I hate most people just order silver Porsches which is so boring!!!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I pretty much know how I want my next car Spyder or GT4.

Dual zone
LWBS
Nav
Burmester
PDK if available
Light design package
Carbon interior
Carbon brakes maybe
LED lights
Some spectacular color

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Dual zone
LWBS
Nav
Burmester
PDK if available
Light design package
Carbon interior
Carbon brakes maybe
LED lights
Some spectacular color
Close but I would stay with the Bose and the 6MT, Maybe PCCB but the bakes on these cars were so big (larger diameter then stock, right?) that the PCCB were more for looks.

As for heated seats, you are in Georgia, up here north of Seattle, heat in the seats and steering wheel are welcomed features!

Colour, now there is the toughest choice of all!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Close but I would stay with the Bose and the 6MT, Maybe PCCB but the bakes on these cars were so big (larger diameter then stock, right?) that the PCCB were more for looks.

As for heated seats, you are in Georgia, up here north of Seattle, heat in the seats and steering wheel are welcomed features!

Colour, now there is the toughest choice of all!
The brakes on the current gen cars are pretty much the 911 ones. I read the newer ones are even bigger. So yeah PCCB is an option. I kind of want the Burmester because I have only heard good things about it. I know it doesn't make sense in this car but one thing I realized is the Bose sounds really meh the more I listen to it.

As for the heated seats I hear what you are saying but we do get snow out here and even then I never felt like omg I need seat heaters. In my wife's GTI that's a different matter cause she has the vinyl on the seats and boy do you need a seat warmer!!! I kind of am glad the steering wheel doesn't have alcantara as does the gear shift as they will get nasty looking very fast I think. If they have a carbon wheel option and carbon gear lever I would add those.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The short shift was standard on all MT GT4/Spyder. Regarding the Spyder roll bars, Supplemental Safety Bars in Exterior Color was a $635 option. (paint matches the rear of the roll bars)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Did I miss a post Westcoaster...one where you say you're shopping for a Spyder?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did I miss a post Westcoaster...one where you say you're shopping for a Spyder?
I think I said "planning...", ;) shopping would mean that there is something out there to buy!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yeah...not much out there right now. There were a couple of nice ones earlier in the year at the Vancouver and Victoria dealers. And there was a very nicely optioned GT silver one here that I understand fetched nearly its full $140k (gulp) asking price.

·
Registered
903 Posts

Dual zone
LWBS
Nav
Burmester
PDK if available
Light design package
Carbon interior
Carbon brakes maybe
LED lights
Some spectacular color
I’ve just started thinking about this as well. My list so far:

Dual Zone
LWBS, but I have to sit in them first. Any dealership car with LWBS is usually locked down. I have the 18-way now and love them
Apple CarPlay however I can get that. No need for anything more
Sound Package plus (have it now and more than I need). Going deaf anyway.
Manual. God I hope it is a 7-speed.
Carbon Int (have it now)
PCCB if I can afford it.
Full leather
PTS - DBM (sadly I have to do PTS to get my fav color now).
Oh, and this time Pebble/Agate interior if possible. The black is great, but I saw the pebble/agate interior once and fell in love. Amazing.

Basically I want a 4.0L flat 6 Spyder version of my GTS with PCCB and car play. LWBS and interior color are secondary. 7 speed with closer ratios would be icing on the cake, although where I live now I rarely get into 4th...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yeah I will swap only if there's a 4.0 liter flat 6 NA. Or else nope. And I am pretty sure no 7 speed will be offered. PDK possible but I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve just started thinking about this as well. My list so far:

Dual Zone
LWBS, but I have to sit in them first. Any dealership car with LWBS is usually locked down. I have the 18-way now and love them
Apple CarPlay however I can get that. No need for anything more
Sound Package plus (have it now and more than I need). Going deaf anyway.
Manual. God I hope it is a 7-speed.
Carbon Int (have it now)
PCCB if I can afford it.
Full leather
PTS - DBM (sadly I have to do PTS to get my fav color now).
Oh, and this time Pebble/Agate interior if possible. The black is great, but I saw the pebble/agate interior once and fell in love. Amazing.

Basically I want a 4.0L flat 6 Spyder version of my GTS with PCCB and car play. LWBS and interior color are secondary. 7 speed with closer ratios would be icing on the cake, although where I live now I rarely get into 4th...

Nice list, agreed about the LWBS, need to try them out first, PCCB I want but do not a need... most of the rest is easy, either it strikes a chord with you or it doesn't, at least that is the way it works for me, except colour... :(

There are certain colours I won't order but as for what I want, well it depends on how it makes the car look, for me white or any silver is too sterile, even pedestrian, these cars benefit from a colour that show the body lines!

Attached are two pictures of DBM and NBM side by side, easy to see the difference up close but from 20 feet maybe not so easy, the DBM is on the left in both pictures.

You know I favour blue, and if I were a little more daring Carmine Red or Racing Yellow always catches my eye, both our Porsches are DBM, got to love that colour, but you know Night Blue Metallic is very nice as well and dare I say close enough (for me anyway) to get the nod if blue is the choice this next time around. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I spent an hour or so in a Canadian-spec Spyder with LWBS. They were a good deal more comfortable than the previous GT2 versions (which I had in my 911), but either the seat rake works for you or it doesn't. Both my wife and I agreed we'd be OK giving up the heated function for the extra wow factor the LWBSs give the interior, but would also be more than happy with standard heated Sport Plus seats. Although I wouldn't turn up my nose at an otherwise perfectly optioned Sypder that had 14-ways, I'd take a pass on any Porsche with 18-ways and neither my wife and I can find any setting we find comfortable (similar to an M3 we had that had zillion-adjustment seats, with no setting completely comfortable).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have had so many compliments for the LWBS in my Spyder when the top is down it's crazy. It actually took both me and my wife a little bit to get used to. She got a slight bit of lower back twinge for a few days and then she got used to it and she never thought it was uncomfortable after that. But yeah YMMV.

As for color I favor blue as well and I think Sapphire Blue was the best blue Porsche used to make and I am lucky I got my current Spyder in that color. Once again got so many compliments for it and it photographs so beautifully as well. Too bad Porsche discontinued that color. I also like the new Chalk color but that's on the other spectrum. My wife is partial to the red or yellow as well as am I!

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the replies, so will we know more in 10 days (LA Auto Show) or are we holding our breath for Geneva? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts