Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to the forum here. So I am contemplating buying a used 911 as my mid life crisis/divorce present. So far I have only looked at the ones that are available on eBay and I noticed something interesting. I have a budget of about 40k and I see that there are some older 911 that cost that much and at the same time there are some much newer models that cost that much. That tells me that there are some models that are more desirable than others. Basically I come here to see if anyone can get me out of my ignorance and help me demystify the used 911 market. What should I look for? What should I stay away from?

Thanks,

FC

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I don't even know how to begin here. :(

I guess the first question is this: If you don't know anything about 911's... then why do you want a 911? :D If it's just as a status symbol and to pick up the ladies, then I suppose you could get the cheapest 996 you can find that still looks clean, do the IMS maintenance, and be done with it.

If you start doing a bit of research into the different iterations and the vast history behind them and become an actual enthusiast though, then it will all start becoming very clear. You'll find out that the older air-cooled models are quickly going up in value so getting a top notch 993 is getting harder and harder while the 996, being the first water-cooled model and plagued with issues and generally being considered the ugliest 911 ever made (though, being the ugliest supermodel isn't exactly a giant fail), you'll find that they can be had for a song relative to the other models.

Then there's everything else in between.

Good luck!

Reactions: BryantH

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Suggest some basic independent research until you know what a 911, 964, 993, 996, 997 is. The Excellence magazine Buyer's Guide is a good basic reference. Also Zimmerman's "The Used 911 Story" is useful. Don't be in a rush. Enjoy the research and do lots of test drives. The chase should be part of the fun. Oh and welcome and best of luck. When you get a little further into knowledge and closing in on what you want, post up and I'm sure we can help. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Wow, that is such a huge subject I am sure books have been written about it.

I suggest first doing a Google search for “buying a used Porsche 911” and you will get a lot of websites, like this Buying a Used Porsche 911: Everything You Need to Know - Autotrader Each will give their opinion.

There is so much research to do and so many different models, variants, power levels that it would take a very long to describe. The 911 market isn’t like normal cars. You can have 40 year old cars worth near $1M. So forget about the normal market.

1. I suggest getting a handle on the differences between the “modern” water cooled models, that is, 996, 997, and 991 and figuring out the differences between models.
  2. Figure out the differences between trim levels. The differences between a base car, S car, GTS car, turbo car, and turbo S car. For now, forget about the cars starting with “GT” like GT2.
  3. What kind of car do you want? Cabrio, Coupe, Targa? 2WD or 4WD?
  4. What kind of build do you want? Performance? Luxury. Go to Porscheusa.com and read about the current options and what they all mean.
  5. Do the research at various sites like cars.com to figure out what can be bought for $40K.

Last, you might want to stay away from the 996 cars that can have IMS issues. Read this IMS Bearing - The Full Story | Oregon Region Porsche Club of America and this EISEN v. PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC. | Leagle.com.

I don’t know what you will find for $40K but a quick look at cars.com shows a lot of 2004/2005 base Carreras. You also want to look at mileage. A 50,000 mile 10 year old Carrera is about right. Above that is high mileage. And you will want to see service records and get a purchase inspection.

Good luck and start researching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ahh, nothing is easy huh?

As far as the ladies go I think ANY 911 would impress them so I don't really care about that. The 911 is for me, not them. I am in it more for the performance and not so much the luxury. If I can have both then great, but the weight is on performance. It seems that I have to do a lot of reading and probably focus on air cooled models. I don't really care about convertibles so I would avoid them. As far as targa top or sunroof goes I am ok with them, but I would prefer just a regular hard top.

Oh, and another thing. If I get that obnoxious mustang dude next to me I want to blow his doors off. That is not too much to ask, is it? :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Ahh, nothing is easy huh?

As far as the ladies go I think ANY 911 would impress them so I don't really care about that. The 911 is for me, not them. I am in it more for the performance and not so much the luxury. If I can have both then great, but the weight is on performance. It seems that I have to do a lot of reading and probably focus on air cooled models.

Oh, and another thing. If I get that obnoxious mustang dude next to me I want to blow his doors off. That is not too much to ask, is it? :)
It's easy to get confused with 911s. There are currently 25 new models listed on the Porsche configurator for a 911. Over the years, that adds up to a lot of models to consider. Add in all the millions of permutations of options, and it gets a little dizzy.

If you want to blow the doors off the Mustang sitting next to you, you might be disappointed. $40k doesn't buy much Porsche compared to the muscle cars for the same amount of money.

This site is awesome and may help you pick the car you want: 0-60 Times | Find 0 to 60 & Quarter Mile Times Car Specs

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Consider a 996 turbo. You might have to stretch the $40k somewhat but they don't have some of the issues that impacted the non turbo cars. Join the Porsche Club of America (PCA). It's only $40. Excellent info and on line car listings. Contact the local PCA chapter. I can guarantee you that if you live in the Pacific NW there would be a lot of help available through members. You should consider a Cayman. An incredible amount of performance for the money - a great value and a blast to drive since they are mid-engine. IMHO the best first steps would be PCA, and then the local chapter. As the slogan says "It's not the cars, it's the people".

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
If you want to blow the doors off the Mustang sitting next to you, you might be disappointed. $40k doesn't buy much Porsche compared to the muscle cars for the same amount of money.
True. If you want a muscle car, no Porsche has ever been about 1/4 mile times. This is the bible you want to read. Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com Find the 911 appropriate to your budget.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
What a question!!!

Forget about blowing doors, let's get your brain teased as we flirt with your heart. If you enjoy reading, proceed as suggested by the gentlemen above. I'd take a shortcut if I were you. Go visit a nearby dealer.

Check his used 911 inventory, more likely you'll find 997 models. Each 911 model is very unique with its own characteristics, features, drive and performance figures. Look around and ask for a test drive. Leave your cheque book at home... don't say we didn't warn you.

Check the new 911 inventory. It's called 991. It'll help you see how little the exterior differs yet the interior changed much and the power too with prices went through the roof. 911 is an icon that every fanatic and ignorant learns first about Porsche. You'll not notice much difference between 997 and 991. Yet, you'll get aroused from the smell of new leather and the touch of the wide hips of GTS, turbo and RS models. Don't wear shorts, otherwise your salesman may get the wrong message.

With your budget, I'd check the 981 models. Used or new, these beauties will visit you in your dreams. Whether you love them topless (Boxster) or demure (Cayman) they come blonde, red headed and sparky in silver too. May God be with you if you spot a GTS model in GT Silver. I still can't get her off my mind.

Your visit to the dealer will be just the beginning. You'll visit back on weekends when they are closed just to watch Porsche mannequins behind the glass. You'll rush back here to the forum asking for advice. Back and forth till you buy one. Whatever you end up buying, you'll still lust on other models. We don't call it infidelity, we don't judge members here. Polygamy is very much encouraged here.

Your kids may put you in a mental institution and your shrink will put you on pills... Trust there's no cure. Save yourself the money for your next Porsche ;)

·
4,105 Posts
True. If you want a muscle car, no Porsche has ever been about 1/4 mile times. This is the bible you want to read. Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com Find the 911 appropriate to your budget.

Obviously I agree with the bolded statement above and it's inferrence. :) ....but.....the Op didn't say he wanted a muscle car. He said he wanted to blow the doors off a obnoxious Mustang sitting next to him. That requires acceleration - not a Ring lap time record. Hence my point that $40k may not be enough to get the Porsche with those straight line performance numbers to beat some of these Muscle cars in a straight line. As you point out, Porsche has never been about 1/4 mile times.

My 981 is faster than the majority of 911s on the road today but I could barely manage to beat a new Mustang GT or a WRX STI in a straight line let alone "blow" the doors off them. I think when newbies think of Porsches (especially 911s), they think of 911 Turbo S performance numbers which is not the case with most 911s on the road.

Reactions: michael818

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts

·
4,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
The Excellence magazine Buyer's Guide is a good basic reference.
Along with the Excellence Buyer's Guide find as many Excellence magazines as you can find. As chows4us said, you are in the midst of a huge subject. I've immersed myself in all things Porsche for years and I haven't scratched the surface.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
here are the few models you should hunt for...for the 911.. that will hold their value..

73 carrera RS
1989 carrera speedsters
1991 RS america
2007 Gt3 RS
2009 Gt3 RS 3.8 or 4.0
2016 Gt3 RS

Good luck..

Lemon

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
here are the few models you should hunt for...for the 911.. that will hold their value..

73 carrera RS
1989 carrera speedsters
1991 RS america
2007 Gt3 RS
2009 Gt3 RS 3.8 or 4.0
2016 Gt3 RS

Good luck..

Lemon
WOW! For a 40k USD budget? You gotta be kidding...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts