Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the Fall season, Clarkson raved about the Racing Yellow Cayman S he drove in a track setting. Then a couple of weeks ago, he and Hammond preferred the Corvette over the GTS, calling the 981 "dowdy". On that show, the GTS had a lap time if 1:24.6 (if I recall correctly), and they made a big deal that the vette was 2 seconds faster while costing the same as the GTS.

On the 3-9-15 episode, Clarkson spilled superlatives upon the Jaguar F Type Coupe with its 445 hp V8 and 75,000 British pound price tag. When it turned a 1:24.6, the exact same time as the GTS and the Audi R8 V10, he said literally nothing. I'm wondering why there is no love for the 981 over there.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Clarkson commented he didn't like the styling in the Perfect Road Trip. "I think it looks too much like a 911." Vettes are rare as Britain, and they've genuinely come a long way over the years (especially C5-C7). People tend to get more excited about unicorns, especially when the unicorns nowadays are getting very easy to live with day to day, and don't feel cheap inside.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you're expecting Clarkson to make sense then no wonder you're confused. I really enjoy Top Gear and I like Clarkson as well as Hammond and May but the show is mostly just entertainment. Why does it matter if Top Gear likes the 981 or not? It has no impact on my enjoyment of our 981.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It was obviously Clarkson's failure to recognize the Cayman as the superior platform that it is that got him kicked off top gear.

This. :)

Seriously though, Top Gear is an entertainment program first and foremost. And it is entertaining... But, everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt.

For better automotive journalism, I tend to prefer Chris Harris or the guys at Evo.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that Top Gear is entertainment. I said I was confused, not angry or hurt, by Clarkson's initial glowing review of the 981 S and then his seemingly contradictory review of the GTS only weeks later. That kind of 180 degree change in opinion is odd to me. Maybe I should dumb it down and stop thinking so much about what is said on the show.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I understand that Top Gear is entertainment. I said I was confused, not angry or hurt, by Clarkson's initial glowing review of the 981 S and then his seemingly contradictory review of the GTS only weeks later. That kind of 180 degree change in opinion is odd to me. Maybe I should dumb it down and stop thinking so much about what is said on the show.

One of the worst "car review" shows on the planet.

Clarkson is an entertainer that has jumped the shark more times than I can even think about. The below was a pretty widespread episode as well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh59e0_clarkson-kills-porsche-911_auto

And, being perfectly honest..there are times the Cayman could stand to be more raw and exciting. I am not even sure they achieved this in the GT4. Now I just need a test drive to prove me wrong. :hilarious:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
ESPN has a program called "First Take". In order for that show to garner enough ratings, they must be somewhat factual but mostly entertaining. The same applies to Top Gear. Both of these shows are replete with contradictions, but it doesn't matter since in both cases they strive to be entertaining first and factual second.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This. :)

Seriously though, Top Gear is an entertainment program first and foremost. And it is entertaining... But, everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt.

For better automotive journalism, I tend to prefer Chris Harris or the guys at Evo.
Speaking of which... what happened with Autocar's Steve Sutcliffe? He's not written anything, nor been in any videos for months.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
All of a sudden he remembers, he doesn't like Porsches. Don't be confused about anything on that show. Just watch and laugh, if you have to think, this is not the right show for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Back in the Fall season, Clarkson raved about the Racing Yellow Cayman S he drove in a track setting. Then a couple of weeks ago, he and Hammond preferred the Corvette over the GTS, calling the 981 "dowdy". On that show, the GTS had a lap time if 1:24.6 (if I recall correctly), and they made a big deal that the vette was 2 seconds faster while costing the same as the GTS.

On the 3-9-15 episode, Clarkson spilled superlatives upon the Jaguar F Type Coupe with its 445 hp V8 and 75,000 British pound price tag. When it turned a 1:24.6, the exact same time as the GTS and the Audi R8 V10, he said literally nothing. I'm wondering why there is no love for the 981 over there.
For many, the F-Type has a lot more character and is more fun to drive. Better looking too. Tire technology has moved on quite a bit since the R8 V10 put down a lap time.

I think they have the GTS props, said it was a great car. What else do you want? For it to be declared the best car ever? Who cares.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For many, the F-Type has a lot more character and is more fun to drive. Better looking too. Tire technology has moved on quite a bit since the R8 V10 put down a lap time.

I think they have the GTS props, said it was a great car. What else do you want? For it to be declared the best car ever? Who cares.
No, I don't want them to declare that the GTS is the best car ever. I was just making an observation about how their impressions of our car changed and then opened up the subject for discussion.

BTW, I already own the greatest car ever.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of a sudden he remembers, he doesn't like Porsches.
He dislikes 911's (except for maybe the 997 turbo), but not necessarily Porsches. He loved the 981S and just recently said on the Season 22 pre-show that the 928 he drove in the South America special was his favorite car of all the cars he drove in Top Gear specials.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It was funny when they were tracking the 987 or 6 (can't remember) and said it looked the same going backward as forward. I was disappointed in their "review" of the gts. They just used it as a foil to talk about the corvette. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Enjoy Mr Clarkson whilst you can. Top Gear, as we know it, may not be around for long..

BBC News - Jeremy Clarkson jokes about suspension as petition tops 500,000

Just to give you a taster, which is more than Jeremy seems to have had....

"Clarkson is said to have told friends that he did not punch Tymon but that there was "handbags and pushing" over the fact that no hot food was available after a day's filming."

Jeremy Clarkson suspended: Top Gear presenter 'may quit BBC even if he is cleared over fracas with producer' - Telegraph

·
Registered
499 Posts
I tend to agree with the statement that the corvette is such a huge improvement over the C6, that the cayman got outshines because....of course....the cayman has always been a good car, no surprises there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mr Clarkson is what the British refer to as a knob. Besides that, I went to my local Chevy dealer to check out the new Z/28 and sat in a new Corvette. The Top Gear guys are also a little biased when it comes to Astons & Jags, I don't know if you saw the episode they did for Jag's 50th anniversary. It was pretty awesome!

https://vimeo.com/68034189

Numbers around tracks are one thing, the Z/28 is probably phenomenal around a track, and the Corvette has some cool features, and I am sure is fast. Thing is, for me at least neither cars compare to a Porsche, they are different things. Both Chevys are capable cars, but take a sledgehammer approach. And although the fit and finish of American cars has come a long way in the last decade, it is obvious that the Z/28 is a track car and people will remove the interior not only to make the car lighter, but also to not have to look at it.

I was really surprised by the Corvette, the interior was not too bad, the exterior styling was a bit much.

It is all what you are in to, some people like riding Harleys, while I prefer a BMW HP4. To each their own.

While you may be able to quantitatively compare cars using numbers, qualitative comparisons, or how does the car make you feel is an extremely personal judgements. For me, the click of the door on a 993 or the burble of the exhaust on a canyon road of a Boxter GTS, the smell of the interior, the feeling of driving something special does it for me. I could car less about its numbers. I would expect that Mr. Clarkson would prefer the Corvette, the ashtray is in a more convenient location.

B

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Reactions: Sal Fontinalis

·
Registered
545 Posts
I get the sense that Clarkson may still be a little pissed about V2 rockets landing in London.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts