Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pickup a used 911 turbo. It still has a bit of the factory warranty remaining but I would like to extend that. I can't find anything that specifically tells me if I am allowed to purchase a Porsche CPO warranty myself or if that is something that only the dealership can purchase from Porsche.

Seems from what I read, the CPO warranty is a 100% mirror of the factory warranty. Is this correct?

Also, seems that as far as extended warranties go, The Porsche CPO is the only one that doesn't have tons of "possible scam" complaints. Any insight here?

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Others need to keep me honest here. I believe CPO is only done by a Porsche dealer and on those cars that they want to offer it. There is some cost associated with their doing it and it obligates the dealer once offered with the sale of the car. The CPOs I have done were done on a Cayman R and my current 981. In both cases, the cars were about 6 months old...........the CPO gave me about 5 1/2 years and the delta between the mileage (both were about 5800) and 100,000. It cost about $1,800 in both cases added to the price. I actually used this in negotiations on the 981 as I was trying to get the price down as much as possible and said, give me the car without the CPO and I still have 3 1/2 years and 44,000+ miles coverage. This dealer really prefers to sell with CPO so gave me the CPO and took the price of it off. Net net........not sure you can buy CPO per se. So, for me I got an additional two years and around 44,000 miles extra coverage over the remaining factory coverage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh. That's not what I wanted to hear! I was really hoping I would be able to buy a CPO plan myself from my local authorized dealer even though the car isn't coming from them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No it has to be purchased through the dealer for it to be CPO'd

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that sucks.

I suppose my next best option is to shop the dreaded third party warranty world. Any recommendations of ones to avoid/look into?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well that sucks.

I suppose my next best option is to shop the dreaded third party warranty world. Any recommendations of ones to avoid/look into?
When a Porsche dealer CPO's a car, they go over the car and make repairs or replace items as needed.(ideally) Most have new or like new tires. If you find a problem that they missed, you can take the car to any dealership to have it repaired. If a CPO is critical for you, I would pass on the car you are looking at, and continue to shop for a CPO car from a dealership rather than purchase an a questionable and expensive after market warranty.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
All manufacturer pre-owned programs are just that - the mfg's program. BMW, MB, Porsche, even Chevy (!). Those programs are in place to create both added value to the consumer and probably moreso a competitive advantage for the dealers to help the dealers sell that mfg brand of used cars.

Requirements are fairly stringent and in our case PCA and the local dealer is/are on the hook for repairs. If you purchase from a non-dealer than you also choose to use a non-mfg extended warranty.

As stated above, if the peace-of-mind created by a mfg CPO program is that important, a comfort that you can't find from a good PPI and a third party program then pass. I would make a 3PP recommendation if I could, but I've only used Porsche CPO...

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
What you could do is ask the dealer if they would do a CPO. It would be good to understand why not...not as a challenge to them but insights into the car. And, as part of the conversation, they might be willing to recommend a warranty package.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What you could do is ask the dealer if they would do a CPO. It would be good to understand why not...not as a challenge to them but insights into the car. And, as part of the conversation, they might be willing to recommend a warranty package.
What if it isn't an authorized Porsche dealer that I am getting the car from?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Non Porsche dealer does not have the ability to CPO a car, so most will likely say they can't and try to offer an aftermarket warranty instead.

Your best bet is before purchasing the vehicle, contact your local Porsche dealer(s), tell them you are interested in buying such and such car from such and such dealership and you would like to get it CPO'd. They may be willing to work out a deal where they purchase the car from that dealership at the agreed price, and then CPO it for some additional price agreed upon by you and then sell you the car. If you are financing through them or buying any additional stuff they sell, tire protection, etc. they may be even more inclined to make the deal happen. It depends on condition and age of car too but some Porsche dealers are accommodating of such a transaction.

·
Registered
199 Posts
CPO's or not free. There is a cost to the dealer to CPO any used Porsche. The cost is based on the vehicle and its milage and condition etc.... Also as I stated before the car has to meet the CPO criteria. If the car you are interested can not meet that criteria then the dealers hands are tied as Porsche will not certify it a a CPO vehicle.

So I would would make sure that the car you are interested in will even be able to qualify to begin with.

You would be must better off purchasing a Used CPO Porsche from a dealer. It is the path of least resistance for sure.

Driverxxx7

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I think you should not fall in love with this speific car and seriously considered looking for a CPO car at a dealer who will be there for you in the event you have a major failure of some type. This is not a $20-25,000 car we are taking about. The used engine is worth more than that. I would not roll the dice on this one. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies. So if I am correct, a CPO is a mirror image of the original factory warranty, right?

·
Registered
199 Posts
From the Link I posted before.

What does the Porsche
Approved Certified Pre-Owned
Limited Warranty cover?
The Porsche Approved Certified
Pre-Owned Limited Warranty
covers all parts in the following
components and assemblies:
• Engine
• Fuel/cooling system
• Powertrain/transmission
• Suspension/steering
• Brake system
• Heating/air conditioning
• Electrical systems
• Body
• Comfort electronics

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the Link I posted before.

What does the Porsche
Approved Certified Pre-Owned
Limited Warranty cover?
The Porsche Approved Certified
Pre-Owned Limited Warranty
covers all parts in the following
components and assemblies:
• Engine
• Fuel/cooling system
• Powertrain/transmission
• Suspension/steering
• Brake system
• Heating/air conditioning
• Electrical systems
• Body
• Comfort electronics
Right I understand that but then again if you read some of these third party warranties, they say the same thing. I'm just trying to figure out if there are any differences between the CPO and the factory warranty.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts