Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to purchase a 981 (just sold my 986), and I'd like to continue doing all the maintenance myself as I did on the 986.

Is there a general consensus on the best OBD tool to reset the service light, reset the battery light, etc.? I've read some not-so-good reviews of Durametric lately, and I'm leaning towards the Foxwell NT530.

I would love to hear your thoughts - I didn't have a need for an OBD tool on the 986!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Definitely wouldn't go with the Durametric. I had one and ditched it very quickly. Poor and very limited functionality.

I personally would go with a PIWIS 2. The interface is going to be a little more expensive than the ICarSoft, but you will get all the functionality that a Porsche workshop will have. Haven't used other aftermarket devices so I can't comment on their functionality.

Download of PIWIS available here:

·
Registered
570 Posts
This topic seems to come up about every 2 weeks under various headers, in fact I think one was about 2 days ago about the oil reset function.

Anyway, I really like the Autel MD802. You can search the other topics for the reasons why. I think for diagnostic functions, it's pretty close to PIWIS as far as what it can access via CANbus, but you can use it on your Mazda and Toyota as well as your Porsche.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I have an Autel MD808 Pro and it works fine for resetting the service reminders. It can also be used for diagnostics and it will work on other makes of vehicles. My only complaint with it is it is very slow when doing scans.

·
West Coast Group & PCA Member
269 Posts
We have a Durametric (hate it) and a Foxwell NT530 that I like a lot so far.
+1 on the Foxwell NT530. I’ve only had to use it a few times to clear service resets and it did that task with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 for Foxwell NT520. Had the iCarsoft PORII before that and it has the more clunky user interface. Also Foxwell is well maintained firmware. It has autoscan. Neither of the two will read engine overrevs on 981, 991 and up. Seems to work on the earlier cars, but have not verified myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the ICarSoft POR V2.0 and love it. Very user friendly and does all the functions I was looking for.
I have a 987.2 and also purchased the ICarSoft but there is no Porsche option. I went on line and spent hours trying to download the software but still have nothing. Any ideas what my next step should be?

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
84 Posts
I have a 987.2 and also purchased the ICarSoft but there is no Porsche option. I went on line and spent hours trying to download the software but still have nothing. Any ideas what my next step should be?
There are two iCarsoft tools specific to Porsche that I am aware of. The older one is the POR II tool that will scan and clear/reset codes including resetting the oil change and service reminders. The newer POR V2.0 does all that plus can initialization a new battery and also bleed the anti lock brakes. Both will work as generic OBD II scan tools for other makes of cars but are specific to Porsche’s and will pull up the Cayman, 911 etc models when you pull up the menu.

iCarsoft make other generic OBD II tools and other car specific tools. Is it possible you do not have the POR II or the POR V2.0 and maybe a generic version? I bought the POR II first and it worked well for reseting the oil change reminder. Then when I installed a new bigger 92 ah battery I bought the newer POR V2.0 to initialize the battery and now I have both and will have to find a new home for my POR II.
Jim

Reactions: ajahearn

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I have had a good experience with my Autel DiagLink (DIY Version of the MD802). Resets the Service Light (options for all 3 levels) on my 981 and on a 2017 Panamera. Cost is under $100 on Amazon.

With most of these tools (Autel / Foxwell, Etc...) they come without a specific "Make" software. The first "Make" or "Brand" software is usually free, and you must download and install on your unit. So obviously I selected the latest Porsche option.

I have since added "Chevrolet" software for my Colorado Pickup - cost was $10.

Drive safe......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts