Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been discussed a little bit in the thread on jackstands, but I'd to revisit the topic with a more direct question.

Can anyone confirm the safety of jacking up the rear of a 981 from the end of the subframe plate (circled in red below). I intend on lifting from the center and placing a jack stand on each side of the car for the purpose of changing my oil. I have two primary concerns with this location.

1. It seems a little too far back on the car to lift from.
2. There are two bolts which protrude in this area and I'm worried about damage to the bolts from lifting at this point. Fabspeed makes a brace here: Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Rear Jack Point - Fabspeed Motorsport . Is this necessary or can you just put a hockey puck in between your jack and lift directly?

Is this safe to do?
Thank you for the input!

rear jack point.jpg

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have read the various threads on safely jacking up the car and i would not jack from that point.

I use two floor jacks placed under the rear jack points. I get the car lifted enough on one side one at a time to get tall jack stands under the front jack points then keep the floor jacks under the rear points and level the car. I then put jack stands just in front of the rear points on the rocker lip in case the floor jacks fail.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feedback. If that is the case then I might just drive backwards onto my ramps to change the oil. That seems like it might be the easiest solution for me if there is no safe center rear jack point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's what I do to, back up on to my ramps. Then I jack up the front and slip a couple of 2 x 8's under the front to level it out.

oil change pic.JPG

·
Registered
913 Posts
That's what I do to, back up on to my ramps. Then I jack up the front and slip a couple of 2 x 8's under the front to level it out.

View attachment 80498
I really like this solution. I have the same ramps and I was just going to leave it at an angle, but if I can manage what you have done I think it would be a lot better. Do you use two jacks to get it up at the front or do you get one board under at a time and move from side to side?

I would also be interested in knowing what jacks you use if you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

View attachment 80498
This might actually be the best solution I've seen yet. Thank you!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have 2 sets of these ramps from Harbor Freight, $40 / set.

image_21107.jpg

I drive the rear onto a set then separate the ramp portion from another set and jack up the front until I can set them under it then lower the car onto the platforms. The car is level 8" off the garage floor.

Very similar to what was mentioned above.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have two floor jacks so I just jack them up and slide the boards under - lots of room to work! It would be the same if I had only one floor jack, but I would go side to side and insert one board at a time. But since I have two, I use both.

Glad I could help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the center point part from fabspeed listed above and have had no prob jacking up the car from there at all. No damage whatsoever. How about drive up the ramps forward then use one Jack on that rear center point set two jacks up and there u go!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Will look into that rear center jacking point. I also don't see an issue quickly jacking up from there and sliding either ramps or jack stands. Saw a red adapter somewhere. Maybe it's the one from Fabspeed. You could drive into ramps in front, but you'd need 2 sets of staggered 2x8s before the ramps, or you'd hit your lip or even bumper, especially with X73, like mine. Otherwise I'll probably buy a 2nd racing jack. I don't want to twist to hell my new car, even if it can take it:).

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
This has been discussed a little bit in the thread on jackstands, but I'd to revisit the topic with a more direct question.

Can anyone confirm the safety of jacking up the rear of a 981 from the end of the subframe plate (circled in red below). I intend on lifting from the center and placing a jack stand on each side of the car for the purpose of changing my oil. I have two primary concerns with this location.

1. It seems a little too far back on the car to lift from.
2. There are two bolts which protrude in this area and I'm worried about damage to the bolts from lifting at this point. Fabspeed makes a brace here: Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Rear Jack Point - Fabspeed Motorsport . Is this necessary or can you just put a hockey puck in between your jack and lift directly?

Is this safe to do?
Thank you for the input!

View attachment 80394
I recently asked the tech when I was in at the dealer doing some other work about jacking at that location, he said: " nope not designed for that... "

BTW, I would like to add that picture to my library of images for the 981, could I get a link or copy without the added mark-up? Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
When I installed my exhaust, I raised the rear of my car with the help of a 2x4 on my floorjack and jack the car up under the suspension points circled in the photo. I find this area to be more stronger than the center area. This is the photo from the fabspeed site. I don't have the fabspeed rear jack point or the red tow hooks installed on my car.

981_Boxster_Cayman_Jack_Point_Installed__43500.1377706524.1280.1280.jpg

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I wouldn't do it from there; you'd probably bend those pieces inward (not beefy enough to support the car's weight). The strongest points by far are the mounting points of the sway bar. They're directly attached to the strongest part of the sub-frame, but are not centered. I was thinking of making a steel bar long enough to reach both of those locations, and then use a couple of blocks of 2x4s to reach there. Or like some folks, just lift from one of those.. but the car will get twisted. At least less than if lifting from the jack-stand points. The FabSpeed guys said they wouldn't offer a product if they weren't sure it'd be safe. But first of all, a red crap like that looks awful from behind IMO. And in my estimation, it'd still be the lowest point at the rear, making it dangerous if you hit something, so I was thinking of a much better approach: Making a round aluminum piece just an inch tall and smaller in diameter than the typical jack cradle to lift it from there (am I making myself understood?:)). But I'd have to remove that piece and take it to a machine shop so they can get the size right, and the hole diameters correct as well. And it'd be insivible, and basically look stock. Lifting from the bolts is not a good idea, and the curved area to the rear of the bolts would also bend if touched. I agree that area looks strong enough to just lift the car while you place it on jack stands, but with a proper bracket. In this case, solid aluminum would be perfect, and not add hardly any weight. Has anybody done that here?

·
Registered
528 Posts

View attachment 80498
This is what I do, except I just drive up on the 2x8s. I have not had a reason to jack up the front. I use the same HF ramps.

image.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have built my own ramps out of 2x12 stock. I applied 3M no slip material to top and bottom, and fashioned leather handles.

I back up onto the ramps for oil changes. I do this with my 911, 987, and 981.

These are solid, no fail ramps. When I was 17 I bought some metal ramps by Foxcraft. I pulled my Firebird up on the ramps for an oil change. About 2 minutes later, while I was going for the oil drain pan, the ramps collapsed. No more Chinese made ramps for me. Foxcraft issued a recall.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Any consensus on this? I just purchased 2 pairs of esco jack stands and I'm pretty confused on how to lift the car (have 2014 981 BS) up safely on all 4 stands. I'm trying to avoid spending $750 on
jack point stands if possible. OR possible to manage with a pair of esco and pair of JP stands to avoid lifting the rear using unsafe lifting points?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Any consensus on this? I just purchased 2 pairs of esco jack stands and I'm pretty confused on how to lift the car (have 2014 981 BS) up safely on all 4 stands. I'm trying to avoid spending $750 on
jack point stands if possible.
As ELP_JC says above, the best place to lift from the rear to get jack stands on all 4 corners is under the sway bar mounting points. Here's a link to instructions at Pelican (it's for 986/987 but 981 is the same process).

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/01-BASICS-Jacking_Up/01-BASICS-Jacking_Up.htm

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It's slightly different than my 987.2...but you can see where the suspension carrier connects to the frame of the car, and where the sway bar is bolted onto the carrier. I'd put my jack where I've circled...and I always use a hockey puck on top of the cradle to give a bit of extra lift to make it easier to slide the jack stand into place. Other folks who have 981s maybe confirm this is where you jack as well?

IMG_1477.jpg

1 - 20 of 87 Posts