Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, that looks about right. I have an 07 which is a little different, but bernb6 in post 36 says his rectangular beam lift bar works in both 987 and 981. Looks like Porsche changed the profile of the diagonal brace, but it should be attached to a very stout arched beam above, which can easily support the weight of the rear end.

·
Registered
498 Posts
...This works so easily, I really wish there were a way to do it at the front as well...
Yup, front is much harder unless you go with a more pricey option, like jack points or one of the other lifting methods. I ran across this picture on Pelican, presumably from a 986 - https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/01-BASICS-Jacking_Up/images_small/Pic1.jpg. (I would have pasted pic here, here but not sure copyright issues.) My 987 looks a little different but has a similar point, probably 981 also. Wonder if anyone has taken a look at whether that point is truly substantial enough to lift the car, and if so, could you use a lift bar across the front? That would be darn handy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
On the 981, the whole front section is aluminum, and thin aluminum at that. I would not jack from any of it.
Not only that, but how the heck do you get a jack under the front lip - pretty darn low even in my 07 Base Cayman. I may have to reluctantly agree Jackpoints are a good solution up front. Later today I have to change the oil on my niece's Prius, which has a very nicely designed front center jack point.

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
Okay, I changed my method to pushing jack further, untill it reaches the W profiles under the suspension. And using 2x4 on a jack. And then securing with two stands which fit right inside those W profiles. Just done it couple times, experimenting with "free exhaust mod".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey all,

Just wanted to add that LN Engineering also sells a rear center jack point:

If you can't trust those guys with Cayman engineering, i'm not sure who you can.

FWIW, i got my car up on stands a couple weeks ago and i just used a poly puck on my jack on that rear center point and it worked fine. I'll prob order this LNE/BRS rear point next. It looks a little lower profile and less visible than the Fabspeed one.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts