Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the boards and have read a lot of threads on this already but thought I would start my own to address my specific questions in one spot.

I drove an 06 Cayman S at the local dealership and of course, I am now in love with the car. My local dealer seems to be pretty high in regards to pricing for Porsches because they are the only deal in town.

Now that I have driven the car and know I want one, here is the situation I am in and the questions I have.

I would like to get a car for ~40k, preferably less as it will be a third car and used as a DD for work and fun on the weekends. As for options, I want a manual, leather and the BOSE stereo, possibly 19" wheels but thats about it. I dont really care if it has PASM, Nav or some of the other options out there.

Questions I have regarding this are:

1. How much should I care about mileage on a CS? I've been looking to get a car with less than 15k, problem of course is they are mostly in the 45k range.
2. Is having a CPO Porsche worth the extra cost the cars seem to command? From the majority of postings, the cars seem to be pretty reliable so long as you maintain them, is CPO really worth the cost difference?
3. Should I even consider a place like Carmax (or Ebay)? I would get a PPI done on the car no matter when I purchased it from, I just wondered if there are any experiences with someone like Carmax that mean I should stick to dealers when looking. Carmax always seems to have pretty aggressive pricing if you looking countrywide.
4. Anything else I should be looking into when considering the purchase that I might be missing? Words of advice are always welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Santa Fe, I read those before posting. The FAQ basically points to the PPI being the focal point of the purchasing process, I already plan on having that done.

I am more concerned with how mileage, CPO and third pary vendors factor into the purchasing decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in the market for a CS also. I live where there is only 1 Porsche dealership as well and their pricing shows it. I'm purchasing from Carmax. Their prices are fair and they offer a purchasable warranty to cover problems like the dreaded RMS issue. the other nice thing about carmax is that you can shop for Porsches in any of their lots across the county. Take a look at their site to get a feel for pricing. The bad thing about carmax is that they don't let you get a PPI from porsche before you pay for delivery or before you purchase. However, you do get a 5 day, no questions asked return option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks stromo.

I wasnt aware the CS had the RMS issue but I see that they sometimes do. I guess thats a good case for a certified one in any case.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Try a local car broker. Each area in the US as a monthly "high end" auction. I worked with a local broker in the San Francisco Bay Area and he found me a PCNA lease return '06 CS with less than 12K miles.

Seal Grey Metallic paint with Stone Grey interior, Preferred Package (wheel caps with colored crests, self-dimming mirrors & rain sensor, heated seats, floor mats in interior color and Bose sound system), Bi-Xenon headlights, sport seats, thick sport steering wheel, short shifter, Sport Chrono Package (w/o PCM). 6-speed manual transmission and standard 18” wheels.

Cost - less than $40K (plus the Republic of CA's 9.75% "The Governator" tax). only flaw was a scraped rear bumper which I had fixed for $400. A plus was that its still under warrantee thru 07/10. So far the dealer has replaced a faulty driver's window controller, headliner, low tone horn and fixed a rear hatch rattle. It's going to need new rear tires soon.

I am one happy camper.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I bought my car thru Carmax and have been very happy with it - as stromo mentioned, you do get a 5 day grace period to get it checked out to your satisfaction. If you don't like to haggle, it's not a bad way to go.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You get so much more with a CPO car. Mine required around $2k of maintenance (rear tires, battery, 20k service, 4 wheel alignment). In addition I now have a warranty that lasts 6 yrs from the cars inservice date / or 100k miles. This cost me approx. $200.00. In a sense I received a free warranty. BTW my car had 23k miles, 19 inch wheels, sport chrono, auto ac. Purchase price was $37k

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was hunting for my Cayman S 09 with PDK, I found quite a few 09 CS Manuals going at ~45-47K

The lowest I found on a 08 CS Manual was around 38K (around 2000 miles with rain sensing wipers and self dim mirrors,*sound package plus,*heated seats, floor*mats, and colored crest in wheel caps). So I guess, you should be able to meet your price target.

Of course, you have to be flexible on the dealer location for the best deals.

New to the boards and have read a lot of threads on this already but thought I would start my own to address my specific questions in one spot.

I drove an 06 Cayman S at the local dealership and of course, I am now in love with the car. My local dealer seems to be pretty high in regards to pricing for Porsches because they are the only deal in town.

Now that I have driven the car and know I want one, here is the situation I am in and the questions I have.

I would like to get a car for ~40k, preferably less as it will be a third car and used as a DD for work and fun on the weekends. As for options, I want a manual, leather and the BOSE stereo, possibly 19" wheels but thats about it. I dont really care if it has PASM, Nav or some of the other options out there.

Questions I have regarding this are:

1. How much should I care about mileage on a CS? I've been looking to get a car with less than 15k, problem of course is they are mostly in the 45k range.
2. Is having a CPO Porsche worth the extra cost the cars seem to command? From the majority of postings, the cars seem to be pretty reliable so long as you maintain them, is CPO really worth the cost difference?
3. Should I even consider a place like Carmax (or Ebay)? I would get a PPI done on the car no matter when I purchased it from, I just wondered if there are any experiences with someone like Carmax that mean I should stick to dealers when looking. Carmax always seems to have pretty aggressive pricing if you looking countrywide.
4. Anything else I should be looking into when considering the purchase that I might be missing? Words of advice are always welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all.

I am definately flexible on the dealer location assuming I can actually get what I want. Another thing I am considering is a new 09 Cayman base. So far, no luck on getting the car under 40k but that hasnt stopped me from trying :)

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Where are you seeing 2009 Cayman S's for $45-47, did you mean 2008? Seems kind of low for an 09 CS!
cs? its a steal for an 09 base

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all.

I am definately flexible on the dealer location assuming I can actually get what I want. Another thing I am considering is a new 09 Cayman base. So far, no luck on getting the car under 40k but that hasnt stopped me from trying :)
machonmaigle - check out this link

Pre-Owned Porsche Inventory at Schneider + Nelson Porsche

The asking price on the 1500 mile 08 base is less than 40K. The specs seem to be better than what you are looking for.

Don't know if its still on the inventory though....it was when I was in the market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts