Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states I'm looking at a 09 Boxster base with a gap in the service records. According to the Carfax the vehicle has had 3 owners. However, the first owner/lessee either did not service the vehicle during the almost 4 year / 36k mile lease period or the dealer chose not to report to Carfax? Have any of you even experienced this condition prior? I checked out the car over the weekend and it drove well with no issues. The dealer took it in on trade from a repeat MB customer for a '14 SLS. Another curious thing to denote is that it has a PCA sticker on the windshield. What do you think?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DEY_0&vin=WP0CA29849U710782

https://www.dealer-site.com/admin/build_sheets/print.php?vin=WP0CA29849U710782

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Carfax is not very good at reporting maintenance records. It seems unlikely to me that a PCA member would not service the car in the first 4 years! Of course the sticker may not be from the first owner.

I'd get a PPI and if it looks good and the price is right, go for it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Agree. Carfax maintenance records are extremely unreliable. You may be able to ask a Porsche dealer to do a maintenance record pull on the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking as well. It just does not make sense that someone with a new PB would not get it serviced? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The first owner also could've been an enthusiast who did the work themselves. I've done my own oil changes and suspension work, and none of that would show up on a CarFax or in the Porsche dealers' database.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The only work Carfax would see on my 2010 Cayman would be a ton of warranty work. All routine maintenance was done my me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good luck, 987.2 Boxsters are rare in the wild and special for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
CarFax is pretty much mostly advertising. The info they have is incomplete and too frequently inaccurate. They are best used as NO (not buying this one) then YES information source. If the CarFax says the car was in an accident - that's a NO. If it says it had a salvage title - NO. If it had 25 owners in 10 years - NO. It's OK for that - but even NOT having any of those doesn't make it a YES data source since many accidents aren't reported to CarFax, or weren't "public knowledge" (which is what they guarantee in their warranty.)

If it's a one-owner car, and CarFax shows regular visits to an authorized dealer at normal service intervals - that's the one case where it might become a very weak YES data source. Private garages typically don't report customer service visits, DIY'ers don't report service activity, so I wouldn't hold the lack of service shown in CarFax against the car.

I recently purchased a '09 Boxster. I found it not at a dealer, not even in any car-for-sale ads. I found it in a forum where the owner mentioned in passing that he was thinking of selling his Boxster. That's all he said. He was thinking about it.. I followed up on it with him, and found an excellent example, cared for by a fanatic (and former owner of about 5 other Porsches and lots of other German cars we had in common.) His son is a certified Porsche technician (who is now working at dad's business which has nothing to do with cars) - and he did all the service on it. Looking under the car - it's spotless underneath. No corrosion, no rust, no baked-on mud - looks as close to new as I could imagine a 50k mile car could. It very obviously has never seen salt (unusual in NJ..)

The car has great karma. The owner just handed me the keys and told me to have fun. The location wasn't ideal for a test ride (Staten Island) so I asked if he'd meet me at a spot in NJ where I know the good roads and could wring it out a bit. He was very agreeable. Did very minor dickering (his price was quite fair), and he tossed in all the spare bits he'd accumulated (including a spare exhaust, he had a modified one put on it), the accessory spare tire kit and all the paperwork he had for it. He also had installed a Sprint Booster and the Sport/Sport-Plus package. Nicely equipped, no self-dimming mirrors, no vented seats, but a damn nice and fun car to simply drive. If I need luxury I own a big-*** turbo Cayenne.

I did not get extensive service paperwork, but he said the car was current with Porsche services (done by his son who would be willing to continue servicing it), and we discussed what would need to be done at the next service. I've seen nothing that would make me question this.

Been playing with the car for the past 2 weeks - the Karma just keeps getting better. I'd purposely picked an '09-'12 because I didn't want IMS bearing problems (or even the thought of them,) and I did want a PDK transmission.

Karma is a feeling you get when a car feels "right".. it should be assessed after a good test ride, and simply sitting in and near the car and thinking. Your subconscious picks up things your aware mind may have seen and simply dismissed. If it picks up enough positive things (condition of the interior/exterior often reflects the care it received, things like that..) you'll get the message that this might be a good car to buy. If you get any sort of negative karma, RUN AWAY. I've bought a few cars (out of about 55 I've owned) with negative karma and I've always regretted it.

So - moral of the story - to answer your question - CarFax isn't the end-all. It's just a not terribly reliable tool. Use it carefully and it can be of some use. Ditto actually on a PPI - it's worthwhile, but I've been around cars long enough (wrenching on them) that I don't bother. There are usually obvious clues particularly with cars that have known flaws. Spending time in the forums helps learn what to look for.

If you aren't an enthusiast/wrench - it's probably worth getting the PPI, but remember it's only as good as who does it. An experienced aftermarket shop specializing in Porsche and only Porsche is where I'd take it. Dealers won't assign their ace mechanic to do a PPI. They'll hand the oil-change guy a CPO checksheet and tell him to look it over. A good independent who wants your business after you buy a car is the best place to have it done.

Good luck, and let the karma flow through.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts