Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find any information on the forum about this topic relating to installation on a 981. I would like to replace the standard leather and aluminum 981 manual shift knob with a 917 laminated wood style knob.

Has anyone here done this?
I would like to do it, but I also need for it to be easily reversed if I do not prefer it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I'm interested in the answer as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been a year since my OP. Does anyone out there have any leads on a 917 style wooden shift know that would fit a 981?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have found the 917 style knob for my 981 finally. The person who has been working on it is testing the fit on a 981 and making the the shift boot fits/looks proper once the knob is in place. As soon a he has this worked out ( I have one on the way to me). I will post his info, photos and impressions once I have it in hand.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Give Raceseng a ping. They have made an adapter that fits the 981 shift arm, and it's non-destructive and reversible. They don't off a wooden knob at present, but if there's enough interest maybe they could. The adapter is threaded, so you could get someone else to fabricate the wooden knob for you once you had the adapter.

Here's a photo of the Raceseng on my GT4:

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Give Raceseng a ping. They have made an adapter that fits the 981 shift arm, and it's non-destructive and reversible. They don't off a wooden knob at present, but if there's enough interest maybe they could. The adapter is threaded, so you could get someone else to fabricate the wooden knob for you once you had the adapter.

Here's a photo of the Raceseng on my GT4:
Phil, that shift knob looks great, curious how much and how hard to install?

I went to the website and could not find listings for Porsche at all?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Phil, that shift knob looks great, curious how much and how hard to install?

I went to the website and could not find listings for Porsche at all?
I agree, they look great, and want to buy one myself. I contacted them and they are working on final details, to then offer them on their website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I have found the 917 style knob for my 981 finally. The person who has been working on it is testing the fit on a 981 and making the the shift boot fits/looks proper once the knob is in place. As soon a he has this worked out ( I have one on the way to me). I will post his info, photos and impressions once I have it in hand.
Mike, the knobs are ready, thanks to Phil Gandini and William stixir8 for the lever specs. I'll post more wood options later.

Manuel

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
hmm... now you need to replace all the CF trim with wood!

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hmm... now you need to replace all the CF trim with wood!
That's exactly what I thought. Ha ha. It just doesn't go with that car. And even though we all know what the shift pattern is, it'd bother me that's missing, therefore not factory. But as long as you like it, that's what matters. The same exact ball in C/F with aluminum rings and pattern on top would look much better IMO, but to each his own;).

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you posted the vendor contact info, am not able to find. Could you please post it again.

Thanks! Looks great in your GT4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's exactly what I thought. Ha ha. It just doesn't go with that car. And even though we all know what the shift pattern is, it'd bother me that's missing, therefore not factory. But as long as you like it, that's what matters. The same exact ball in C/F with aluminum rings and pattern on top would look much better IMO, but to each his own;).

No shift pattern, and factory OEM

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As the OP, I am super happy to finally see a photo of this product in a 981/991. I agree that that it stands out. This is the look I was going for. I am going to stay 100% stock but install the shift knob in a darker color wood. That will be the new focal point of the interior. If you do not want this to be the case than stock or the other metal/leather options out there are best for you.

Note to all: Remember that the 981 photo below is actual in a GT4 with the lowered knob height so you will have a higher knob height with the slighter longer standard 981/991 shifter.

Thanks again for posting the photos mcampuzano.

GT4 installation, fully reversible:

·
Registered
10 Posts
It wasn't on purpose.

Porsche did use plain knobs before, in the 356 and 901. In both cases they had a decal as an option, here's the later one, I didn't find the one I had for my 356. It would be very easy for me to make the shift pattern, and for anyone to print it in transparent adhesive stock. It was installed on the windshield.

You conveniently left where the shift pattern is:naughty:. Look below. There's ALWAYS a shift pattern, either on knob or console.
http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2015/01/Porsche-Carrera-GT-gear-shifter.jpg

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts