Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm from Vancouver and I'm strongly considering purchasing a Cayman as the 2nd car I'll have ever owned, the first one being my trusty old 1990 CRX. Quite an upgrade from that I'm sure you'll all agree, and it's mainly because of having that car and taking transit that I'm even in the position of being able to afford a Cayman.

I've got some questions and I hope some of you will be able to answer them for me! So here I go.

1) What sort of yearly expenses would I be looking at other than gas and insurance, in terms of maintenance?

2) Do you all use ICBC as your sole insurance provider? Or should I consider buying Basic coverage from ICBC and perhaps optional comprehensive and collision coverage from another insurance company? I'm going to visit an Autoplan soon to get some quotes, but I've heard ICBC can really gouge you with their prices on sports cars. I'm not sure if my CRX was considered a sports car, but I was already paying around 2300 a year for that, with collision and comprehensive.

3) I noticed looking on Craigslist that the local Caymans all have extremely low mileage, in comparison to some of the listings I've seen of American cars. I wonder whether I should considering paying more for a low mileage local car, or go the route of importing one from the States.

4) Have any of you had any experience purchasing a car off of Ebay Motors? There are some extremely well priced cars on there. Preferably I'd like to buy a car locally or perhaps from Washington, but some of the prices on there definitely make me think twice!

5) With a budget of 40-45k CAD, what sorts of options should a Cayman in that price range have?

Please bear with me if I ask some more questions later on. I'm really excited to potentially own a Porsche, and I really want to make sure I get all the bases covered. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Trance,
I'm in Victoria and can answer some of your questions offline. Just an fyi, I have my 06 Cayman S available as a soft sale (not really actively marketing it) If you want more data send me a note offline to [email protected]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Shop in the US right now, with the dollar their is some big savings!

That said you can get a nice 06 with options for under 45K locally.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Just going on the fourth year with my CS. Maintenance costs are not that bad. I do my own oil changes, which costs me about $80 for parts. Otherwise, they just charged me $200 for a brake fluid replacement and I have had no other costs beside insurance, gasoline and licensing (mind you I'm only putting on about 8k/yr). Insurance is less than $1000 for full coverage - 50 yrs old with no tickets and no claims - Alberta.

Depreciation is by far the biggest hit and it looks like you're going for a good used one, so even that is not as big an issue. Good luck!:cheers:

·
1,059 Posts
I usually take my CS down to Bellingham, WA and do all work at Roger Jobs.
Their cost is a lot less & service is excellent.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just came across this thread. Wondering how you made out and what route you chose.
Did you pull the trigger and buy a Cayman?
Did you buy in Canada or one from the US.
Are you happy with your decision and what have you learned.
I am currently shopping around for one, but haven't found the right one yet. I previously owned a 2005 Boxster and regret selling it a few years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts