Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning an '06 BoxterS, an '09 Cayman w/PDK, and a '13 Boxter w/PDK, I bought a '14 911 w/Manual. I just plain missed the manual after driving the two PDK equipped Porsches.
Now, after driving the 911 for a year, I get the feeling these cars were built for Rolex wearing, '60 something' gents (of which I am), and not as a true sports car (which I like). By the way, I also have a very fine '79 911SC, which I drive regularly.
Bottom line is, I am considering ordering a new BoxterS w/manual, configured just my way, and trading the 911 for it.
I miss the roof being down any time the temp goes above 50, I miss the mid-engine handling, and I truly miss that beautiful shifting 6speed over the somewhat rubbery feeling of the 7speed in the 991.
Don't get me wrong. I really like driving the 991. It is a great car.
But I feel like I'm missing out.
Am I crazy, or what?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've had a 911 Turbo Coupe and a 986 Boxster and assorted other high performance cars along with them, but the convertible top is something I'd hate to go without here in North Texas.
I haven't experienced the 6 speed in the 981, but if I traded mine today for a new one, I'd get another PDK.
Most of my in town driving is really convenient (lazy) with the PDK, but the track time I enjoy in Sport +, is just absolutely stinking crazy.

As B-981 owners, the only thing that we're "missing out" is 50 horsepower.
Oh, and just put that extra 40k for the 991 Cabriolet into ..... whatever the heck you want.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
you are not crazy at all. Many people share your opinion. I tracked a 991 and thought it always felt a$$ heavy. The 981. Was much better balanced. Put that formula onto street driving and it is much much better. The 981 is the better sportscar. I could have bought a slightly used Carrera S for the same price as my BGTS. As you said, the 911 is a great car. But for zipping around via hard street driving, I would take the 981 (which I did).

Forget the image piece. Get what makes you happy in the seat of your pants.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
We can't say if you are crazy or not without thorough examination... But getting 981S with manual - makes perfect sense!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Sounds like a version of why I am on my 3rd Cayman......test driving 911s each time before making the Cayman decision. It fits your specification......go with what your gut tells you. If owing well over 40 cars has taught me nothing else........it is to own what pleases you, not what pleases others.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You are not crazy at all, I too prefer top down driving when the temp is above 50F. My 997 have over 500hp, it's not like I can drive 3 digits to work. On my normal commute. I prefer top down driving and enjoying my surroundings on the way to and from work.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Am I crazy, or what?
In any book on the history of the automobile, the 911 not only deserves its own chapter, it might even deserve its own volume.

The 911 to me is now 3 cars
1. World Class sports car
2. Automotive icon
3. Status symbol

#2 and #3 are the problem. If Porsche wants to move the engine an inch forward there's legions of Porsche-philes who will decree it not a 911. Heck, there's tons of Porsche-philes who only begrudgingly consider a 993 a 911 and despise anything water cooled (which basically means there's been no 911 for over 20 years).

The Cayman/Boxster is a world class sports car that isn't burdened by being an icon or needing to be a status symbol. If Porsche thought they could make the 981 better and they moved the engine an inch Cayman and Boxster owners would cheer the innovation.

I think you can't go wrong either way. 911 is a fine car, the Boxster you dream of is a fine car too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nothing like driving a car you configured, it is a fun process, sounds like you know what you like so whatever you do, enjoy, let us know what you build if you go that way.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Cayman. Every time I get a new one I test drive several 911s first. I love the 911s. They are the quintessential Porsche as far as I am concerned. But I always end up getting a Cayman. I just like the look, the size and the handling.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
While I stayed with the 991S with PDK, I can certainly see the allure of the 981. I drove the 981CS (not a convertible guy) and did love the car but, for me, the 991S made a better DD. That's the nice thing about Porsche, there's a car for every taste and need. Good luck with the decision.

After owning an '06 BoxterS, an '09 Cayman w/PDK, and a '13 Boxter w/PDK, I bought a '14 911 w/Manual. I just plain missed the manual after driving the two PDK equipped Porsches.
Now, after driving the 911 for a year, I get the feeling these cars were built for Rolex wearing, '60 something' gents (of which I am), and not as a true sports car (which I like). By the way, I also have a very fine '79 911SC, which I drive regularly.
Bottom line is, I am considering ordering a new BoxterS w/manual, configured just my way, and trading the 911 for it.
I miss the roof being down any time the temp goes above 50, I miss the mid-engine handling, and I truly miss that beautiful shifting 6speed over the somewhat rubbery feeling of the 7speed in the 991.
Don't get me wrong. I really like driving the 991. It is a great car.
But I feel like I'm missing out.
Am I crazy, or what?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts