Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know this has been posted previously and the opinions have varied, however time has passed now and those that made the change to the 718 have had the 718 for longer now, so your help would be much appreciated... :)

01 - what is your overall opinion on the 718 now?

02 - does the lack of noise (engine / exhaust) annoy you as much now?

03 - most pleased thing about the 718?

04 - most missed thing about the 981?

05 - do you think a 718 GT4 will come out?

Thanks in advance for your help, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
1) My appreciation for my 781 Boxster S has continually increased. It has well exceeded my expectations.
2) The engine/exhaust sound is something that I don't think about anymore. The 718 sound is well-matched to the car's capabilities. My 981GTS was much louder, but I never felt it had the balls to match that sound.
3) The torque/power of the car is a large step forward. The overall handling, finesse and looks of the car makes it a bargain. Even here in NJ where Porsches are relatively common, I've had a number of positive comments made about the car. Funniest comment: "Boy, that is no longer the hairdresser's car!"
4) really nothing
5) Sure it will come out - Porsche doesn't miss a beat when making money is concerned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a 2014 981 and got my 718 base and have had it for a year, over 7500 miles on it. It is superior to the 981 in every way. I now enjoy the sound when accelerating and the torque at low speeds and RPM amazes me. It just feels like the car is waiting to jump and does when you hit the accelerator. I moves effortlessly with a burst of speed. My 981 was always very slow when taking off at a stop light and I was always behind most of the other cars unless I really pressed it. With the 718 I am almost always ahead of everyone with just normal acceleration of the car. All of the electronics are far superior to the 981 and it handles a lot better. I drove the 981 when going out by myself but generally drove the Macan when my wife was along. The 981 wasn't that much more of a thrill to drive than the Macan. Now I only drive the Macan when we need the extra space for things we buy or if we have other people going with us. I don't track the car and most of my driving is around San Diego. So far I haven't gotten any tickets but every time I enter the freeway I end up going about 85 or more before I realize it and slow down. I have never enjoyed any car that I have owned as much as the 718. I have had a lot of thrills in my life withover 6000 hours as a pilot in the F4 Phantom and F-105 Thunderchief and over 24,000 hours with Pan Am and Delta. I guess when you get older it doesn't take as much to thrill a person but the 718 gives me a little thrill every time I drive it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had a 2014 981 and got my 718 base and have had it for a year, over 7500 miles on it. It is superior to the 981 in every way. I now enjoy the sound when accelerating and the torque at low speeds and RPM amazes me. It just feels like the car is waiting to jump and does when you hit the accelerator. I moves effortlessly with a burst of speed. My 981 was always very slow when taking off at a stop light and I was always behind most of the other cars unless I really pressed it. With the 718 I am almost always ahead of everyone with just normal acceleration of the car. All of the electronics are far superior to the 981 and it handles a lot better. I drove the 981 when going out by myself but generally drove the Macan when my wife was along. The 981 wasn't that much more of a thrill to drive than the Macan. Now I only drive the Macan when we need the extra space for things we buy or if we have other people going with us. I don't track the car and most of my driving is around San Diego. So far I haven't gotten any tickets but every time I enter the freeway I end up going about 85 or more before I realize it and slow down. I have never enjoyed any car that I have owned as much as the 718. I have had a lot of thrills in my life withover 6000 hours as a pilot in the F4 Phantom and F-105 Thunderchief and over 24,000 hours with Pan Am and Delta. I guess when you get older it doesn't take as much to thrill a person but the 718 gives me a little thrill every time I drive it.
As someone from San Diego who is awaiting delivery on my 718, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Wow, over 30,000 hours in the air, incredible! How did you find time to drive anything! ;)

Glad you like the 718, a very capable car, I have driven a 718 BS on the track and it was very nice for sure. For me I still love my BGTS, it doesn't have the torque of the 718 S but it is close enough in HP to keep me happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too love my 718 (I have limited experience with its predecessor but enough to lament its lack of torque). I actually like the exhaust (no PSE or aftermarket-yet) in sport mode. It has a mean vibe. The whole package is quite satisfying-handling is sublime, power is present when I need it, creature comforts are worthy (get full leather!), and the sound system is better now with proper adjustment (Bose).

Too bad SD is so crowded now-it I loved it in years past.

And,
"I have had a lot of thrills in my life with over 6000 HOURS AS A PILOT IN THE F4 PHANTOM AND F-105 THUNDERCHIEF and over 24,000 hours with Pan Am and Delta. I guess when you get older it doesn't take as much to thrill a person but the 718 gives me a little thrill every time I drive it."

Thank you for your service!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know a lot are wondering how I was able to fly all those hours, so this is not about my 718,but how I accumulated them. I was in the US Air Force for 6 years and then joined the Indiana Air National Guard for 2 years and then transferred to the New Jersey Air Guard when I got the job with Pan Am. I was in the Guard for 23 years and flew with Pan Am and Delta for 32 years. As an Air Force Reserve or National Guard pilot, you have to fly the same minimum number of sorties as a regular Air Force Pilot does. I think it is the same for the Naval Reserve. It took an average of 8 days a month to meet the minimum Air Force Requirements to remain combat ready at that time. I retired 18 years ago so the amount required may have changed. Flying internationally for the airline required about 12-13 days a month on duty. That has changed in the last 20 years. My unit had 34 pilots in it and 33 were airline pilots and one was an IBM executive. Add up the days and you will see he only had about one weekend off a month. It really takes a great love for your country or the love of flying to be in the Air National Guard or Reserves as a pilot. The same for the Navy Reserve and I imagine the same in the Army Guard or Reserve. A non flyer spends one weekend a month onduty and two weeks for a summer camp. Thanks for reading this and hope I didn’t bore you about my life. I STILL LOVE MY 718.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
1) My appreciation for my 781 Boxster S has continually increased. It has well exceeded my expectations.
2) The engine/exhaust sound is something that I don't think about anymore. The 718 sound is well-matched to the car's capabilities. My 981GTS was much louder, but I never felt it had the balls to match that sound.
3) The torque/power of the car is a large step forward. The overall handling, finesse and looks of the car makes it a bargain. Even here in NJ where Porsches are relatively common, I've had a number of positive comments made about the car. Funniest comment: "Boy, that is no longer the hairdresser's car!"
4) really nothing
5) Sure it will come out - Porsche doesn't miss a beat when making money is concerned.
Not to shade the 718 --- I enjoyed driving a 718S at LAPEC... but the 718 GT4 will be MORE GT4 than 718, given the comments about the next generation still to get a Flat 6 NA motor.

That said, I'd also presume that the New GT4 will have performance statics not than much better than a 718 GTS... sort of like the 981 GT4 vs (my) 981 GTS. Porsche is very adept at keeping performance ranking "in line" ... or is that "in check"? But, as with the 981 pair, the 718GT4 driving experience will be in another world.

·
Registered
322 Posts
....It really takes a great love for your country or the love of flying to be in the Air National Guard or Reserves as a pilot.....

No kidding. Heck of a life. Thanks for your service! :cheers:

From a junior birdman, with only 1,700 F-4 hours, and another couple of thousand play hours. :beer:

·
Registered
175 Posts
1. Nice update to the interior, steering, and overall ride/drive. I like the restyled rear and sides. I liked the old front end better. Turbo motor has better low-end torque but otherwise can't hold the flat-6's jock.

2. It's still annoying but you learn to live with it. The exhaust (at least with PSE) has a decent growl at the higher rpms but it's kinda monotonous and nothing like the screaming banshee wail of the old motor.

3. Restyled interior.

4. Flat-6 motor. RIP.

5. Fo sho. Porsche never passes up a chance to make money off "special editions."

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I don't exactly fit the OP's requested demographic. I own a 981 BS and a 991.2 C4 so there is overlap.

What is better in the 718 than my 981:
1. Looks better than my 981 (but subjective).
2. PCM is MUCH better.
3. Low end torque for sure

What is worse?
1. Exhaust note (but I like deep loud exhausts too)
2. F4 vice a F6. Purely for nostalgic reasons which matters to me.

I needed all the above which is why I kept my 981 when I bought my 911. I love them both for different reasons. 981 is the best sports car in the world and that is coming from a guy who just spent a ton of money on a new 911.

I'd get a 718 in a heart beat. And you bet they are making a 718 GT4. No doubt about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.