Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my CS for about a month now. Great car. But having increased my knowledge and experience, I'm considering upgrading the CS or going to a BGTS.

What I've got:
- 2014 Cayman S, 11k miles
- PDK
- Gray ext / Agate Gray base int
- 20" Carrera wheels
- Bose, Nav, Comfort, PS+
- All else base

What I'm looking at:
- 2015 Boxster GTS, 31k miles
- 6M
- Silver / Black leather/alcantara int, Black top
- 20" Carrera wheels
- Bose, Comfort, PS+, PTV, PASM, PSS, Chrono, Sport + (for those not familiar with GTS basic package)
- No Nav

It will cost me about $6k to make the trade. I would be going to a car with higher miles, but more features. Originally thought PDK was the way to go, but now I'm thinking I may not be getting the whole pcar driving experience. Was fun rowing gears.

If I keep the CS, I think I'd upgrade the multifunction wheel to sport design, and possibly go PSS. (~$5k in upgrades) I'd leave the suspension alone.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've had my CS for about a month now. Great car. But having increased my knowledge and experience, I'm considering upgrading the CS or going to a BGTS.

What I've got:
- PDK
- 20" Carrera wheels
- All else base

What I'm looking at
- 6M
- 20" Carrera wheels
- Bose, Comfort, PS+, PTV, PASM, PSS, Chrono, Sport + (for those not familiar with GTS basic package)
- No Nav

It will cost me about $6k to make the trade. I would be going to a car with higher miles, but more features. Originally thought PDK was the way to go, but now I'm thinking I may not be getting the whole pcar driving experience. Was fun rowing gears.

If I keep the CS, I think I'd upgrade the multifunction wheel to sport design, and possibly go PSS. (~$5 in upgrades) I'd leave the suspension alone.

Thoughts?
You forget that in addition to the higher miles it is one model year newer as well. Obviously I pick GTS but thats because I picked it to start.

You will likely carry that 6k premium above the S through the life of the car when you decide to sell.

One big difference is the convertable. I do not like the convertable with the top up at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You forget that in addition to the higher miles it is one model year newer as well. Obviously I pick GTS but thats because I picked it to start.

You will likely carry that 6k premium above the S through the life of the car when you decide to sell.

One big difference is the convertable. I do not like the convertable with the top up at all.
Good point on the year newer, and GTS package holding value.

I agree that the car isn't as sexy as a Cayman with the roof up, too.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Convertible is the best of both worlds, if your weather allows it! One day you have a coupe - the next you can have a roadster. What's not to like? I could never go back now.

And if you feel like you need MT - 6k is small price to pay. Not to mention you getting a newer car :)

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
340 Posts
Seems like an easy decision if you ask me. 6M is definitely more fun as is a convertible. $6K to move up is a small price to pay and those miles don't mean much if the cars wasn't tracked but mostly highway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard the swap from a multifunction to sport design steering wheel is pricey.
Yes, it's $1,400 parts, another $600 for labor. They need to replace the wheel, install a new stalk on the column, and program.

PSE seems to run about $3k installed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thoughts?
What are you specifically looking to accomplish? What are your priorities? You mention wanting manual versus PDK and that if you kept the Cayman that you'd replace the steering wheel and go PSS (did you mean PSE?) but what other considerations are there for you? If you wouldn't added the options in the GTS to the Cayman then do those options really matter to you or are they just gravy? Is the drop top important or does that car you're considering just happen to have it?

Dollar-wise it's pretty much a wash so it comes down to how important are the remaining differences which seem to be: Nav, transmission, "more options", fixed top versus convertible. It's up to you to determine the importance of each of those. If we all weighed them the same we'd all have the exact same car. The decision would be easy for me as convertible and manual are must haves for me (ours happens to be PDK because the other half primarily drives it) but that's clearly not relevant to you since you currently have a Cayman.

Convertible is the best of both worlds, if your weather allows it! One day you have a coupe - the next you can have a roadster. What's not to like? I could never go back now.
It's a subjective matter. I also prefer drop tops but there are plenty who would only drive a fixed roof vehicle. OP hasn't clarified a preference on the matter that I can tell.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 6MT on the 981 is absolutely amazing. It's many heads and shoulders above anything I've had in my BMWs previously. I drive my CS daily in Silicon Valley traffic and it's still worth it. If you are missing the feel of rowing the gears yourself, you are definitely missing a huge part of the experience with these cars by sticking with PDK. The GTS will also net you PSE. Between that and 6MT, the 6K is worth it. You also get PASM and other goodies. Fair warning though, the clutch is much heavier than on any BMW, and PASM can feel a little artificial compared to the base suspension in normal mode. In sport mode it's just as sweet, IMO. I would see if you can negotiate the price a little on the GTS. 30k miles is a lot for a 2 year old pcar, depending on how it's been driven.

EDIT: just re-read and saw you also get PTV, which is NOT standard on the GTS. That's easily a 1-2k aftermarket job to install a reasonable diff. Evens out the money equation even more for you if you want it. I love it on mine and I would never buy a pcar without PTV in the future unless I had a specific aftermarket diff in mind (and the ones I really like are 3k+).

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Seems like an easy decision if you ask me. 6M is definitely more fun as is a convertible. $6K to move up is a small price to pay and those miles don't mean much if the cars wasn't tracked but mostly highway.
Yep, seems like a no brainer to me also. I brought my BS in PDK thinking my wife will drive it but she's driven it twice since we've owned it nearly 3 years ago. I would love to have a MT roadster. At $6K, I would do it in a heartbeat. It's more like $15K or more to upgrade for me and that isn't worth it.

I assume OP is talking about this BGTS, do it, it's beautiful. At $60K, it's a bargain.

2015 Porsche Boxster GTS | eBay

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

·
Registered
340 Posts
On a side note, I see people mention this a lot.
"I think I'd upgrade the multifunction wheel to sport design"
I'm just wondering how it's an upgrade to remove the wheel with buttons? I could see on a track car you don't need it, but I use those all the time for radio volume, phone calls, changing the screen on the dash.
Personally I wouldn't waste my money switching steering wheels, but then again I'm not going to drop $1500 changing the interior plastic trim to match the exterior paint color either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On a side note, I see people mention this a lot.
"I think I'd upgrade the multifunction wheel to sport design"
I'm just wondering how it's an upgrade to remove the wheel with buttons? I could see on a track car you don't need it, but I use those all the time for radio volume, phone calls, changing the screen on the dash.
Personally I wouldn't waste my money switching steering wheels, but then again I'm not going to drop $1500 changing the interior plastic trim to match the exterior paint color either.
It looks better and has paddle shifters.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you are buying a manual transmission you don't need paddle shifters though, but for PDK I absolutely understand. I test drove a few Porsche's with the built in paddle shifters and hated that style, true paddle shifters are easier and more fun to use.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

What I've got:
- PDK
- 20" Carrera wheels
- All else base

What I'm looking at:
- 6M
- 20" Carrera wheels
- No Nav

If I keep the CS, I think I'd upgrade the multifunction wheel to sport design, and possibly go PSS. (~$5k in upgrades) I'd leave the suspension alone.

Thoughts?
You will love the BGTS, it is a different car from the Cayman in so many ways, especially if you get the 6MT, under stand that there is nothing wrong with a Cayman but the overall experience with a manual roadster is so much more visceral and involving! I had a number of full coupe sports cars, even a Targa or two but nothing provides for the same open-air motoring as a true convertible and the Boxster is one of the best, if not the best out there.

Check out my previous rides down below, I have only listed the highlights, there were many other cars along the way, but as you can see once I landed in the Boxster I was convinced I had what I needed to truly enjoy "taking the car out for spin..."! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are buying a manual transmission you don't need paddle shifters though, but for PDK I absolutely understand. I test drove a few Porsche's with the built in paddle shifters and hated that style, true paddle shifters are easier and more fun to use.
Your right if you have a manual it's a whole different deal, then the multifunction might out way the design.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your right if you have a manual it's a whole different deal, then the multifunction might out way the design.
Exactly why I specced the multifunction

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
779 Posts
As you car-shrink, I hear you saying two different things: I got a PDK but really want a manual and I'm considering getting a convertible to get a manual. If I have it wrong and what you're really saying is I got a PDK with a steel roof but really want a manual and convertible, then go for it. If you're really after the manual, look for a CGTS (or CS) with a 6-speed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Appreciate all the input. Yes, the cited ebay Boxster is the one for sale. Initial discussion was dealership wanting to give me $50k for my Cayman S and asking $61k for their Boxster. We haven't even started to negotiate.

I didn't mention but the Cayman is in perfect shape, and has a clear bra installed. I figured between that fact, it's low miles and the relatively high miles of the Boxster, we'd wind up closer to $6k on the deal. You can't tell from the pictures, but the Boxster's wheels are a little chewed up, and the AC wasn't working during the test drive. The dealership that has it has a partner Porshce dealership a couple miles down the road. I'd ask them to fix the AC and CPO the Boxster.

The only thing holding me back is the looks of the Boxster with the top up. Top down, it's a beautiful car, and I'm sure a blast to drive, but with the roof up, it just isn't as sexy as the Cayman, IMO. I will drive this car year round, resorting to an old 4Runner as necessary in the winter months.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Appreciate all the input. Yes, the cited ebay Boxster is the one for sale. Initial discussion was dealership wanting to give me $50k for my Cayman S and asking $61k for their Boxster. We haven't even started to negotiate.

I didn't mention but the Cayman is in perfect shape, and has a clear bra installed. I figured between that fact, it's low miles and the relatively high miles of the Boxster, we'd wind up closer to $6k on the deal. You can't tell from the pictures, but the Boxster's wheels are a little chewed up, and the AC wasn't working during the test drive. The dealership that has it has a partner Porshce dealership a couple miles down the road. I'd ask them to fix the AC and CPO the Boxster.

The only thing holding me back is the looks of the Boxster with the top up. Top down, it's a beautiful car, and I'm sure a blast to drive, but with the roof up, it just isn't as sexy as the Cayman, IMO. I will drive this car year round, resorting to an old 4Runner as necessary in the winter months.
Maybe not as cool looking, but still pretty nice. Top down, it's a much more intense experience than a cayman.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.