Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am considering a used Cayenne S to replace my 2014 is350. The Lexus is great, but a bit impractical. I’ve had my Boxster S for two years now and just kind of fell in love with the way these cars drive.

I’m looking at 2015 and 2016 Cayenne S. I’ve found that the only issue with these seems to be the transfer case failing, usually under warranty.

What else should I be considering here? How much will this Cayenne compare/contrast to my Lexus and to my Boxster?

The Lexus is my daily driver and I put about 19k miles per year on it. How is tire wear? How about brakes? How easy/difficult is regular maintenance to diy for a Cayenne?

Finally, how do I get a test drive? No one around has any used ones. My local dealer has a few brand new ones. If I’m able to talk them into a test drive, somehow, how different will the new 2019s be from 2015?

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have been provided Cayennes and Macans as loaners when I take my car for service. Full disclosure - I am not an SUV fan.

The Cayenne ? I looked for the anchor chain release when it was time to moor it. Utter boat that had absolutely nothing in common with the Cayman except for the badge.

The Macan was much better to drive, but it is considerably smaller than the Cayenne.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been provided Cayennes and Macans as loaners when I take my car for service. Full disclosure - I am not an SUV fan.

The Cayenne ? I looked for the anchor chain release when it was time to moor it. Utter boat that had absolutely nothing in common with the Cayman except for the badge.

The Macan was much better to drive, but it is considerably smaller than the Cayenne.
Oh no, haha, a boat?

How was acceleration and responsiveness? How does steering feel?

Macan is much too small.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Oh no, haha, a boat?

How was acceleration and responsiveness? How does steering feel?

Macan is much too small.
Yes, a boat.

Acceleration was not awe inspiring, but these were plain Cayennes, not the S. Steering was like any other truck/SUV - no feel to speak of. More like a tiller.

I would strongly recommend driving one before considering a purchase. I was very surprised and not in a good way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have never been in either SUV, but I have watched a new Panamera Turbo blow by our 08 CS (and numerous other cars) on the straightaways once every session at Homestead-Miami track, therefore if it were me I would be considering one of those. Hopefully there will be some comments on the Pan. to follow.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wife drove the X5, Cayenne, and a Lexus RX350.

She bought the Lexus. I drive it occasionally; it is very quiet and smooth. The V6 has plenty of grunt. Yes it handles about like what you’d expect, but honestly for running to Costco and so forth it’s hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I have no personal experience but would say try driving a Mazda CX-9 or Audi Q7 both rated one on Edmunds - med size 3 row and luxury 3 row respectively.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Interesting. We're currently SUV shopping. The Macan was my first choice until my wife got to drive a 2016 S. She said it handled nicely, but a noticeable bit of turbo lag plus too small for our needs. Since then, have tested Mazda CX-5 (nice surprise, a lot of vehicle for the money, very quiet), Honda CR-V (great MPG, but tinny and under powered), Acura RDX (nice, but cluttered instruments), Audi Q5, and a Cayenne Base. Probably will go with the Audi due to less cluttered interior, lower price point, better MPG, and that B&O sound system is great.

Neither of us would call the Cayenne a boat. Yes, you know you're in a SUV, and the console is way too busy, but it was far from a boat. The handling was better than all the others we drove (Audi the closest, and it was way better than the others). It definitely has that Porsche feel that we've come to love in our Boxster. The Base 3.6L V6 was more than adequate, although I'd love to flog an S. <g>

You definitely want to drive one, and make up your own mind.

Cheers,

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts