Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
My first post on here as I recently purchased a 2009 Cayman S, midnight blue with 16K miles. I've been having a blast driving the car. After reading some of the threads on here I decided to install the Softronic Performance tune software and also the Borla S exhaust system. I will be installing the software tonight after work and the exhaust gets installed on Monday. I'll provide my feedback on them once I test them out.

So I have a question and was not sure where to post it. The center console of my Cayman is peeling. See the attached pic. Is it possible to refinish this part or replace it without spending a fortune? Anyone else see this kind of wear?

Thanks
Jim

Click on pic to enlarge it:

Automotive lighting Vehicle Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Softronic updated went well. I downloaded my program and emailed it to them. They then sent back a tuned program for my car. I installed it without issue. I was a bit nervous about bricking the ECU but no problems. Afterward I had to run the app to clear error codes but then I was done. I'll have to drive it a bit to see if I can tell the difference.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So I have a question and was not sure where to post it. The center console of my Cayman is peeling. See the attached pic. Is it possible to refinish this part or replace it without spending a fortune? Anyone else see this kind of wear

]
Yup, welcome to Euro soft touch paint, have friend with a Ferrari 355 with the same soft touch and it too started peeling. The paint will come off if you rub it by hand or use 90% alcohol. While your at it check all the other soft touch surfaces. Before it starts peeling normally it has a sticky feel-at least it did on mine. Unlike the A/C controls or tan soft touch the surface underneath seems to be the same color so I have never repainted anything.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
My ashtray did that when I had a 2006 CS, I peeled it off and it looked fine, I have thought about having my console painted at Bumperplugs.com, it is a little expensive but the finish they use is far better than the factory finish , and they have some really cool paint options.

·
Chesapeake Region Member
220 Posts
Yup, a Borla exhaust and Softronic tune were the first 2 mods on my 08 CS. You will definitely feel a difference after you've driven the car a few times. It takes the ECU a few times to adjust and learn your driving style. Years later, I'm still loving mine. Money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after about a month with the Softronic tune and Borla exhaust I can provide some feedback. I have the Borla S cat back system. For starters I want to say I only had the car 2 weeks before I installed the Softronic and exhaust. I mention this because I really didn't have a great feel for the car at that point so its a bit hard to comment on performance gains. I really don't notice anything with the Softronic tune but I had not been driving the car very long. Perhaps if you were taking it to the track some it would be more obvious. Now on to the Borla Exhaust. Firstly, the exhaust was NOT a bolt in replacement. The installers found that the cans did not fit into the opening under my car. They had to bend and cut some of the cars baffeling out of the way. It was not a major job but required a much longer install time which costs $$$. That added about 4 hours to the install because they didn't find the fitting issues until they actually mounted the exhaust system. They also found it was very hard to level the exhaust system. In the end they had to install two rubber bumpers on the one side of the hanger and one bumper on the other side (hanger) to get the system ALMOST level. I don't know if this is a quality issue with Borla. I did try to contact Borla but never heard back. Borla Sound: the Borla exhaust deepens the sound. I find that when the RPMS are between 2K-3K you get a very loud note depending on how hard you hit the gas. this is very annoying. I always drive in sport mode but was using the automatic mode (PDK). I switched to manual shifting and its much better. I don't linger in the 2k-2.75k range long when manually shifting. I find that manual shifting also lets you play with the sound more. In general its sounds great and I'm happy with it. But you must avoid lingering in the low revs. If you are an aggressive driver like me that is not a problem. So in summary the Borla fit and quality is an issue for installing the exhaust system. But I get lots of thumbs ups from people when I pass by with the exhaust screaming.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another Midnight Blue 987.2 prowling the mean streets of Seattle! Welcome to the party. We'll have to look out for each other.

My car came with a Softronic tune and Billy Boat exhaust when I bought it, so I don't have before-after comparison data either, but the setup works very well. I added an ipd plenum and GT3 throttle body, and the car is quick. I like the BB exhaust a lot better than the Remus I had on my 987.1, which was way too loud and droned mercilessly on the highway.

The fit and finish problems you had are a puzzle--I wonder if Borla sent you the wrong unit? Like maybe for a 987.1?

Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.