Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2014 Cayman Base. Only 14K. The console switches for A/C, fan speed etc SUCK! Total PITA to operate. Suggestions please and thank you.dlb

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Bought a 2014 Cayman Base. Only 14K. The console switches for A/C, fan speed etc SUCK! Total PITA to operate. Suggestions please and thank you.dlb
Read the manual.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm not sure what you expect anyone to tell you? They are what they are and there is no magic here. I'm also not sure what is so hard about pressing a button or flipping a toggle up/down to change the fan speed or temp without further specific details from you? I have the auto climate in my 2014, so I rarely have to touch anything, but do use the max AC button when first starting the car in the hot Summer and then press it again once the cabin starts to cool which send the controls back to the auto temp setting.

I travel 100% for a living so I'm in multiple rental cars each week for 20 years now. I've had some terrible designed controls on many cars over the years, most being the ones that use touch sensitive type control "bars" which can be difficult when driving and easy to hit the wrong control area. My 981 controls are super simple to operate compared to many others

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with ICNU. I think the switches are laid out logically and work well. My wife even commented on how well the climate controls work.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There were several different A/C options and each had a slightly different control panel, although they work similarly. Panels with buttons for heated seats, ventilated seats, manual control, dual zone heating, etc. Unfortunately, the car's wiring harness is custom for each configuration (especially in placement and number of temperature sensors) and you cannot simply swap modules.

Since you clearly bought a used car and were no way able to option or upgrade the car, you just have to live with it and learn how to use it or find a different car.

V6

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I've been on this site and many other Porsche sites for approximately 12 years. That's every day for 12 years. And I have NEVER heard this complaint before. The only thing I do recall are those who don't have auto climate control saying they wish they did. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I've been on this site and many other Porsche sites for approximately 12 years. That's every day for 12 years. And I have NEVER heard this complaint before. The only thing I do recall are those who don't have auto climate control saying they wish they did. Go figure.
I wonder what the OP thinks of the cup holders.

·
Vendor
6,484 Posts
I wonder what the OP thinks of the cup holders.
Cup holders are great! I mean our T-Design Nurburgring model, not the stock flimsy thingy of course :))))

·
Vendor
6,484 Posts
I agree with ICNU. I think the switches are laid out logically and work well. My wife even commented on how well the climate controls work.
I do agree with topic starter that climate operation is not ideal. Those rocker switches for fan and temp that you have to hold while watching value slowly change by one - is an excellent example of form over function, and ergonomics nightmare. Takes a minute to change something, and you have to WATCH the display to know what's going on. Terrible design. I would take turn knob any day.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It might help to be a lot more specific about the problems you're having with the switches.

I had difficulty operating the temperature control on one side. It turned out that there was a very tiny rock lodged in one side of that switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what you expect anyone to tell you? They are what they are and there is no magic here. I'm also not sure what is so hard about pressing a button or flipping a toggle up/down to change the fan speed or temp without further specific details from you? I have the auto climate in my 2014, so I rarely have to touch anything, but do use the max AC button when first starting the car in the hot Summer and then press it again once the cabin starts to cool which send the controls back to the auto temp setting.

I travel 100% for a living so I'm in multiple rental cars each week for 20 years now. I've had some terrible designed controls on many cars over the years, most being the ones that use touch sensitive type control "bars" which can be difficult when driving and easy to hit the wrong control area. My 981 controls are super simple to operate compared to many others
Did we have a bad day? Maybe this will make you feel better: Your my hero cuz you travel all the time. Perhaps you should try a new career.
My point was the switches are not working correctly. Thanks to those that provided positive feedback and the steps need to take to correct the problem.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
A bad day? I was simply giving you a reply the best I could based on the little to zero information that you provided.

Are we supposed to read your mind? You gave absolutely no indication at all as to what specific problem you were having, and you can see the others didn’t know what you were talking about either.

Maybe next time open with the fact that your switches weren’t working properly instead of expecting everyone to just guess what your issue is. The only mistake I made was wasting my time replying to your post in the first place.

·
Registered
846 Posts
A bad day? I was simply giving you a reply the best I could based on the little to zero information that you provided.

Are we supposed to read your mind? You gave absolutely no indication at all as to what specific problem you were having, and you can see the others didn’t know what you were talking about either.

Maybe next time open with the fact that your switches weren’t working properly instead of expecting everyone to just guess what your issue is. The only mistake I made was wasting my time replying to your post in the first place.
Don’t feed the trolls man.

If someone shows up on the forum and their first ever post is an obscure denigrating one about, well pretty much anything, just put them on ignore. We’ve had lots of attention getters come and go here...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Don’t feed the trolls man.

If someone shows up on the forum and their first ever post is an obscure denigrating one about, well pretty much anything, just put them on ignore. We’ve had lots of attention getters come and go here...
Yeah, in retrospect I should have known better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I do agree with topic starter that climate operation is not ideal. Those rocker switches for fan and temp that you have to hold while watching value slowly change by one - is an excellent example of form over function, and ergonomics nightmare. Takes a minute to change something, and you have to WATCH the display to know what's going on. Terrible design. I would take turn knob any day.
Each tap of the rocker gets 1 "x" change. You don't need to hold and watch. Want 2degrees cooler? Click click, done. It's not really complicated. They are easy to hold and easy to work. I agree rotating knobs are better but I don't have any complaints about the function of the toggles.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do agree with topic starter that climate operation is not ideal. Those rocker switches for fan and temp that you have to hold while watching value slowly change by one - is an excellent example of form over function, and ergonomics nightmare. Takes a minute to change something, and you have to WATCH the display to know what's going on. Terrible design. I would take turn knob any day.[/QUOTE]

I find it much easier to click the temperature switches multiple times rather than hold them. If I want to go up 4 degrees, I click it 4 times rather than hold it and watch the temp indicator. No eyes needed.

Edit- Oops, should have read to the end before posting where my comment was essentially made 14 hours ago.

And OP, don’t expect much help around here with that attitude. ICNU has been around here for a long time and was only trying to help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do find the console switches get mucked up by coffee splashing from cups in the cupholder. I free them up by spraying wd40. Anyone know of a smarter way to address sticky switches?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts