Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. Im pretty new here as a member but have attended previously just lurking and reading. So i was at walmart yesterday and i happen to see the "consumer Reports" magazine. I decide to see what they have to say about boxsters. I own a 06 987 and love it..

In bold black letters i see " THE PORSCHE BOXSTER IS NO LONGER RECOMMENDED BY CR DUE TO RELIABILITY ISSUES" or something to that effect. Cant remember the exact wording..

What??? What went wrong??
Where do they get their stats?
Anyone read this, i tried to find it online but could not find it.
Anyone with more info as i did not buy the mag as i staggered out in shock.:confused:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Lots of owners complaining about failed rear main seals and faulty intermediate shaft. Some experiencing catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wouldn't trust what Consumer Reports has to say regarding sports cars. They look for toaster-like functionality and reliability.

That said, it shocks me that Porsche is tops in JD Power's reliability ratings (3 year old vehicles, so 2006-2007 models). My 2005 997, while good enough for me to replace it with another new Porsche, was hardly trouble-free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't trust what Consumer Reports has to say regarding sports cars. They look for toaster-like functionality and reliability.

That said, it shocks me that Porsche is tops in JD Power's reliability ratings (3 year old vehicles, so 2006-2007 models). My 2005 997, while good enough for me to replace it with another new Porsche, was hardly trouble-free.
I agree. I don't how Porsche is #1? My 2007 GT3 had 4 RMS replaced in 2500 miles. I was fed up with the car. Spent more time in the shop than on the road. If my BS has the same problem it will be my last Porsche ever.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, obviously, these studies try to look at the macro picture. n2cars, whilst having a valid criticism of his car, should be cautious about painting with a wide brush. Any number of causes may have resulted in engine seal failure, though it is worth noting that manufacturers do try to improve their cars to minimize failure and drive down warranty costs.

I think another issue to discuss in re: to Porsche being a sports car maker is that, indeed, a company that makes sports cars is likely to deal with reliability issues of a different nature. E.g., I doubt to many Honda owners are tracking their cars, or even redlining the engines. Though I generally find Porsches to be made tougher and well-engineered in comparison to most other cars, a car that is babied will always have a better reliability than one which is driven to the limits. Proof this this can be hyperbolized when viewing an event such as the 24 Hours of Nürburgring, which certainly pushes a car to its limits and over a decent stretch of time. In general, I am quite impressed with the reliability of a good many of the competitors cars at that competition, and specifically of Porsche's track record there.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re: zedex

There are several reasons why Porsche is #1, they are large enough to be included, Ferrari and Lambo will never top that list, and a much larger percentage of owners garage queen their cars compared to other mainstream brands, so hardly any problems are likely to surface. I used my 987 CS as a DD and it was the most problematic car I have ever owned BY FAR. Trunk clunk (tried twice to fix it), oil smoke (never fixed), 02 sensor failure (twice)... all these three problems are things that have happened to so many 987 owners and are not "one off" problems.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I disagree with that theory, as the Cayenne was making up about half of Porsche sales during the JD Power timeframe, and they are neither garage queens nor trouble-free...

...and like your 987 problems, all of my 997 issues were echoed by others on Porsche forums, as is n2cars' GT3 RMS. I just don't get it.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Consumer Reports reliability ratings are unscientific bs. They send out a survey to subscribers and largely unknowlegable people respond, if they feel like it. There are so many hidden factors involved that I think it's impossible to draw any firm conclusions from what CR says. They are useless. In my experience, for any product in which I have real expertise or someone I know does, CR comes out looking foolish. That leads me to discard whatever they say regarding products I'm not especially saavy about.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I spent 16 years in the retail photography business and one of the things I didn't want to hear from a prospective purchaser was "I've been reading Consumer Report." CR was always six months to a year behind and in the electronics industry that is light years as most of the cameras they recommended were out of production. They consistently recommended Kodak cameras, one of the least reliable, technologically backward cameras on the market with a repair department that was non existent. I could never figure out what CR's criteria was in their selection process and their take on the Boxster is probably as much a mystery.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
They consistently recommended Kodak cameras, one of the least reliable, technologically backward cameras on the market with a repair department that was non existent. I could never figure out what CR's criteria was in their selection process and their take on the Boxster is probably as much a mystery.
+1 I fell sucker to that recommendation and the darn camera is sitting there collecting dust. Have not used CR as a reference since. I have gone back to using Canon.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Consumer Reports reliability ratings are unscientific bs. They send out a survey to subscribers and largely unknowlegable people respond, if they feel like it. There are so many hidden factors involved that I think it's impossible to draw any firm conclusions from what CR says. They are useless. In my experience, for any product in which I have real expertise or someone I know does, CR comes out looking foolish. That leads me to discard whatever they say regarding products I'm not especially saavy about.

Indeed, the only CR I've ever responded to was when I pissed with the OEM (Audi) and feeling spiteful.... Trust your own judgement and experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am also a new boxster owner(06 MY) and am entering my first post.

I also took note of the CR ratings when deciding between the (07 MY)BMW Z4 and Boxster. CR gives the 06 Boxster a better than average and the Z4 a black ball. It seems CR ia applying the poor boxster ratings to the newer cars though one wouldn't know that reading the troubles others have had in this site. But as has been said, those with problems tend to be more vocal than those who do not.

It surprises me the number of members that enjoy track days. This will have a profound effect on mechanical reliability . Many autos accumulate just minutes of WOT in a lifetime. These forums lead me to believe these Porshes see many hours of WOT.

I am a member of Acura TL and Nissan Murano sites. Not to compare these vehicles by any means but you guys run these cars HARD.

I am very happy with the boxster decision and time will tell whether just a little moderation will lead into a reliable experience

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
One car doesn't make a review for a whole line, however, I just helped a lady friend purchase a 1999 Boxster with 103,000 miles. Original clutch and no issues. She bought it from a dealer and I called the original owner. The car was not raced and he did take good care of it but the car never had any major issues. It drives great and feels almost like new to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have little use for CR anymore. They are hardly neutral and unbiased. In fact I have found them not only inaccurate, but HIGHLY biased IMHO, towards these particular brands:

JVC (electronics)
TOYOTA
HONDA

I used to subscribe to them many, MANY years ago when they had a modicum of credibility. I dropped them nearly 15 years ago. The ONLY thing I find them useful for anymore, is Service History on brands of Appliances... and I still go elsewhere to confirm.

IMHO, Consumer Reports is as biased as the earth is round.

Now let me say one other thing about this subject:
Engineered Obsolescence
It is real. Especially in US cars. American don't make $$ on selling cars, they make their $$ on parts and shop time, aftersales. This is a well-known fact. On top of that, when they create a new vehicle, they design it and then de-engineer it to a degree to sell parts (ie make profit) after the sale of the vehicle. "How can we decrease the lifespan of these rotors, etc..." Of course, they try to do it without compromising safety, but this is done quite often.

I don't know how closely the German Mfg's follow this policy, but I wouldn't put it past them to utilize it somewhat.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.