Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new (January 2015) Consumer Reports has a feature on owner satisfaction for 281 car, SUV, and light truck models sold in the U.S. as model year 2014 vehicles. The question put to owners was this: would you definitely buy the same car again?

Tesla came in first @ 98%
C7 was second @ 95%
We (981s) came in 3rd @ 91%.

Caymans and Boxsters were rated separately, but both had the exact same score.

None of the remaining 277 models reached the 90% level.

If you're wondering, 991s rated 88%--still exceedingly high.

If you're wondering, Nissan Versa came in last @42%.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Do you think 991 owners rated low because they have their eyes on the GT4? ;)

Hmm... My guess, Ken Smiley had a hand in this report.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know it's not "exciting" an all, but Consumer Reports is one of the few unbiased sources of automotive journalism around today.

They do not get paid any money by manufacturers to embellish anything. So I would consider them more trustworthy than Top Gear or Chris Harris. Not as entertaining either, but they do not get paid to sell the cars. They just try to report the truth. So, 981 getting high marks is a pretty good thing.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There seems to be a misperception here. The piece in CR was not the usual in which they are rating cars. Were that the case, I'd have to agree I've seen CR car ratings I disagree with (e.g., when I see two virtually identical cars rated quite differently in regard to reliability). In this case, CR simply asked: would you or would you not DEFINITELY purchase the same car that you've already purchased? This isn't about them. It's about us.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but hopefully a corollary...........would you put considerable stock in what Consumer Reports says about the Porsche before you bought one?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
The new (January 2015) Consumer Reports has a feature on owner satisfaction for 281 car, SUV, and light truck models sold in the U.S. as model year 2014 vehicles. The question put to owners was this: would you definitely buy the same car again?

Tesla came in first @ 98%
C7 was second @ 95%
We (981s) came in 3rd @ 91%.

Caymans and Boxsters were rated separately, but both had the exact same score.

None of the remaining 277 models reached the 90% level.

If you're wondering, 991s rated 88%--still exceedingly high.

If you're wondering, Nissan Versa came in last @42%.
I think that's quite an accomplishment since Tesla takes such good care of its customers I would expect them to be #1, they are going above and beyond in the market currently. The Corvette I could see because it is a brand new version of the Corvette and the people who got the first ones are probably die hard Corvette fans. The Cayman and Boxster are likely higher than the 911 in part because of this website, we have an active community of people who are passionate about these models and surely some of that boiled over into some of the survey responses, plus these are darn good cars. I wonder if Porsche will be rebroadcasting this info widely?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Do you think 991 owners rated low because they have their eyes on the GT4? ;)

Hmm... My guess, Ken Smiley had a hand in this report.
Hassaan,
In a way this IS true. I didn't directly influence CR, but rather owners who bought their cars and came here are more likely to be satisfied than owners who don't know about this resource and aren't part of this community. It would be interesting to see how many of those surveys were filled out by our members and do more statistical analysis, but I think you'd concur that the information and experience provided by this website is of benefit to owners and thus they are more likely to feel better about their purchase after making it. Besides we always tell members how great their cars look when they come here and share their first photos of their new baby! :) They feel the love!

You'd think Porsche would want to INVEST in a site like this one that helps them sell cars and make better customer sat numbers...

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Hassaan,
In a way this IS true. I didn't directly influence CR, but rather owners who bought their cars and came here are more likely to be satisfied than owners who don't know about this resource and aren't part of this community. ....
Yeah, if it weren't for Planet-9 I'd still be happily driving my 2006 CS. But after spending way too much time reading P-9 posts, I absolutely had to upgrade to a GTS.:)

(I will not look at GT4 posts, I will not look at GT4 posts, I will not look at GT4 posts...)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but hopefully a corollary...........would you put considerable stock in what Consumer Reports says about the Porsche before you bought one?
Not necessarily Consumer Reports, but I do feel there is a need for a prominent non-enthusiast reviewer. It's 2015, and anybody can make a car go fast, handle well, and look good. All of the excuses are gone. There are no unsolved problems in any of those areas. But there is still a need for aggressive criticism of quality, durability, usability, ergonomics, materials... all of the things that don't show up on instrumented tests.

I wouldn't weigh CR very heavily in a car or truck purchase decision, but I wouldn't dismiss them entirely either. It is frustrating that the only resource of its kind is so unfocused. The same outfit that writes about clothes dryers is probably not going to have anything relevant to say about a Porsche, but I can't afford to ignore them either.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You'd think Porsche would want to INVEST in a site like this one that helps them sell cars and make better customer sat numbers...
But could they do that without changing the character of the site? How would you keep it from turning into an echo chamber of praise for all things P-car?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
But could they do that without changing the character of the site? How would you keep it from turning into an echo chamber of praise for all things P-car?
Well they could simply advertise here, buy a frickin banner ad for goodness sake! That wouldn't give them any kind of control over content, no advertiser has that, but would show that they support what we do...

I see the flipside though, why advertise where you already have a captive market, thus placing banner ads on watch sites, etc. for Porsches.... :)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do look at their not-always reliable reliability data, though I've grown to trust truedelta more. Except for the reliability data, I don't listen to a word CR says about cars as their priorities are all about leg room in the back seat, Buick-like ride, how big is the trunk, and other stuff I could not care less about.

That said, again, this thread is not about CR's opinion of anything. It's about CR reporting our opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I concur completely as I am currently driving the Versa as a rental car right now...I would NEVER EVER buy this car. I didn't even know they made cars WITHOUT keyless entry or power windows anymore.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I like CR and I do read their car reports. I think their reliability scores are relevant and usually accurate. Their car testers, the guys who actually write the car reviews, are not the folks who test appliances or electronics. They do comment on things like headlights, braking, fuel economy, comfort, and handling and are not too far off base in their findings.

Obviously, like any other car reviews, you weigh what you're reading based on what you want in a car. The 981 couldn't have scored well for rear seat comfort, but I bought it anyway.

As far as owner satisfaction, the Corvette always scores high in this category. When I owned my two C6 Vettes, I always responded to those surveys with a "yes, I would buy it again" answer. Corvette owners are nothing if not loyal to the brand, and most will own no other sports car. That has nothing to do with reliability, comfort, handling, or the efficacy of the headlights ... it's pure, raw brand loyalty.

So, yeah I admit it, I like CR and am glad they offer such a huge database of automotive information.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've found CR ratings are usually pretty accurate. They actually do their own thing instead of following the herd. They can get pretty deep too; for example, they will rate the same truck, but with 4x4 worse (vs the 2WD model) in powertrain because of the crappy torque converter that on 100% in the 4x4 setup (even in 2WD)... this was completely the case after I researched and test drove and other reviewers didn't even catch this.

Reliability ratings on the other hand have always been hit and miss for everyone. Stuff breaks and its really hard to quantify it for a new car.

Regarding this survey...I think the results are noteworthy. Not surprised about Tesla. They really try hard and they have to. Porsche is very passive... they make great cars and people quietly buy and appreciate them. Fact that 911 rated lower than 981 is weird... they are basically the same cars fit and finish and 911 is better in many ways...not sure, but think this has to do with price to satisfaction ratio...people paying that kind of money and can afford it probably have a different mindset in regards to cars and comparisons...and probably on the lookout for the next car after a few months.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Could the 911 rating been affected by the GT3 fires?

Or... the fact that the 991 is very much a facelift of the 997.2 than a new model.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We may be reading too much into the difference between the 91% with 981s vs. the 88% with 991s. CR did not make clear whether this difference did or did not attain statistical significance. Said differently, this relatively small difference with a small number of cars might possibly have been due to chance.

Or, as one poster suggested above, perhaps the fact that the 991s cost so much more (but when you factor in the weight differential, don't provide that much more, especially if we're talkin' base model 911 vs s or GTS versions of 981s), people buying 911s feel they're not getting as good a deal. They're not!:hilarious:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts