Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Continental Sports Car Challenge, is on Speed T V at 10:00 AM Pacific time Sunday June 13. This is the broadcast of the Watkins Glen race. At the last race which was held at VIR there were two Caymans competing. :banana:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Watching it right now @ 2:30PM EST, great coverage of Leh Keen in the #44 Cayman fighting for the lead from the BMW!
That was an exciting race! Leh Keen really drove the hell out of that car - I hope to see him driving a Cayman again soon. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Wow - Saw Keen fighting for the front but I think it looked like he got too
aggressive and swapped rubber with the BMW and thus ended his race.
He was really pushing hard for the lead.
I don't know if Keen got aggressive or the Bimmer driver did, but it was a good race. Give her the GT3 RS motor and I bet she'd do some serious damage in ALMS.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Best Race of the Year so far !!
I have watched them all and for the first time the Cayman really was the best car out there IIMO the #44 Magnus Racing (Keen/Potter), should have won the race had not the BMW played dirty !!!!
The BMW blocks the Cayman for 15 laps or so and then selfishly takes him out ,WHAT A SHAME!! all I can say is who the heck is this Keen guy ? what an animal ,WHAT A RACE CAR DRIVER!!! he is my hero :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Best Race of the Year so far !!
I have watched them all and for the first time the Cayman really was the best car out there IIMO the #44 Magnus Racing (Keen/Potter), should have won the race had not the BMW played dirty !!!!
The BMW blocks the Cayman for 15 laps or so and then selfishly takes him out ,WHAT A SHAME!! all I can say is who the heck is this Keen guy ? what an animal ,WHAT A RACE CAR DRIVER!!! he is my hero :)
Keen is the best driver I have ever seen in the past at CLub Racing (started with PCA) and now has proven to be one of the fastest up and coming SportsCars Pros out there. He is the current Rolex GT Champion and finished 2nd this year (rookie in both races) in the N24 and LM24 codriving a GT2 430 with Dominik Farnbacher.

His driving videos are inspirational (video from a PCA race driving an RSR starting from the back):

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Axis-CG

Incredible driver !! Thanks for posting :thanks: great video

it was the first Time all season the Cayman pulled away from the Mustangs and Camaros .They could not catch keen in his cayman and had the BMW not taken him out he no doubt would have pulled away from the field .you could see the BMW was holding him back. you can only be patient so long ,not wanting to settle for 2nd keen showed the heart of a champion and balls the size of Texas!!! I cannot wait to watch the next race

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Besides being one of the best drivers in Grand Am today, Leh Keen is so much fun to watch. Watching him in the VIR and WG races has me hooked on the Continental series. He absolutely let's it all hang out and it makes for great TV.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Re: Axis-CG

Just watched the race yesterday (dvr) Go Cayman! It was a little dirty and imo un-sportsmanlike of the BMW but hey thats racing....The Caymans are a coming.It was interesting to listen to the commentary on the Cayman they where suprised to see the "little" Porsche doing so well,but we hear at Planet nine Know better.......

·
Registered
23 Posts

What a race!I was foaming at the mouth!The bimmer guy took him out.I agree with LA BOY Give the little cayman a gt3 RS engine it will be all over.The camaros and mustangs were so far behind they needed some super sophisticated military optical equipment to see Keen.(porsche take notice,the caymans were doing better than the 911s,gives us cayman people a cayman gt3)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

What a race!I was foaming at the mouth!The bimmer guy took him out.I agree with LA BOY Give the little cayman a gt3 RS engine it will be all over.The camaros and mustangs were so far behind they needed some super sophisticated military optical equipment to see Keen.(porsche take notice,the caymans were doing better than the 911s,gives us cayman people a cayman gt3)
That is so true, the 911s, as much as I love 'em, were way behind the Caymans. Time for Porsche to rethink things!

·
Registered
104 Posts

Well, they raced harder than normal, probably b/c they know each other too well as they are team mates in their Dempsey Mazda GT car. :crazy:

At the end the Cayman looses on HP. Despite GrandAm does some good equalizing for all cars to be laptime competitive, IMO it is always better to have the higher HP car (althought heavier) for this longish endurance races. You can always pass on the straight and block on the corners...

The 997s are still competitive IMO, just not enough good driver combinations. Remember most teams are 1 gentleman (amateur) driver + 1 Pro. How fast the amateur driver is relatively to the others can be the deciding factor (Leh or Pumpelly - TRG 997 - can be 0.5sec faster than other Pros, but if their teamates are 2+ secs slower....)

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thanks for posting that video,the more i watch it,the more it looked like the cayman was the aggressor in that paint swap.That is a very fast track,i agree with horsepower being a factor but the heavier car is much more abusive to the brakes and on tires.I was shocked that the mustangs were so far behind.It says alot about that cayman team to be on a track with such a long straight and do as well as they did with the horsepower they have.IMO I think some of the heavier cars are starting to get break fade do to the speed at the end of some of straights at that track.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.