Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my electrical woes are continuing with my new Boxster S.

Initially it the electric motor for the fuel door failed and jammed the door had to be pried open at the gas station to fill my car on the way, how embarrassed was I. (replaced no cause determined)

Then the blower motor stopped working days but after 3 days of not working at the dealer it started working again (no cause determined)

Then stereo would not produce any sound was at the dealer several days not working but suddenly started working again ( no cause determined)

Then top started hanging at about the half way point would close but not open but suddenly started working (no cause determined)

Dealer has sent a full dump of the software to Germany to be analyzed and reloaded the PCM system and also went through every accessible ground and fusible link in the car to ensure they were all secure. Regional Engineer also looked at the car and didn't see anything.

Then today driving home from the Airport PSM failure and about 20 mins later auto stop/start started flashing as disabled.

Going back in tomorrow to let them look at again it will not be coming home until they fix it this time.

This is my first Porsche and after 10 years of owning several BMWs that and one only ever in the shop for 1 failed radiator, including my wife's 740il that she put 140K. My wife had been planning on trading her X3 in on a Boxster or Cayenne but certainly not going to do that at this time until I see what Porsche NA does to make this 85K rolling short circuit right.

I called Porsche Cars NA and they were very apologetic and promised to have the regional coordinator contact me tomorrow to take over supervision of the problem. I also explained that I did not intend to be running around in a 4 year old Infiniti for days on end while they work on my Boxster and I expected something equivalent to my Boxster to use while they deal with issue. The rep promised that I would have the use of a new Porsche while my car was being addressed.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I think the degree of electronic failures you've been experiencing is really unusual. There must be a root cause somewhere that they haven't been able to isolate yet, especially since all the failures are similar in nature.

Most states have a Lemon Law which allows three attempts to fix the same problem. If the dealer has no success resolving the issue, a new car is often the solution. You might, at this point, want to check into your legal options for a replacement.

Aside, from that, it does sound like your dealer and PCNA are both trying to figure out what's causing this. A friend just had a similar issue with his 2013 Subaru, and he was left stranded by the car twice. A regional tech was called in and did find a defective computer module. Subaru promised him a new car if the problem recurred. Since that last repair, his car has been 100% trouble free and he's finally gotten to the point where he trusts the car again.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Yes it looks like you got a car with some serious underlying problem somewhere which they can't find. Like electric harness was damaged during production or installation, and now one of the wires is snapped in half and barely touching. (my wild guess, the only guess that fits your description).

None of those problems happened to anybody here. And we have pretty impressive number of 981s here.

It's just your particular car that is unfortunately not right. I'd think after spending so much time in the shop you should be able to make them take it back and get another Boxster. Please keep us updated how Porsche handles that.

Reactions: type981s

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So got just got back from the dealer, fortunately I took pictures of the PSM failure message and the disabled Auto Stop/Start because they were gone when I fired the car up this morning, Service Manager was sure they were in the PCM logs but nice to show them I'm not crazy ;). They have agreed they will keep the car until they resolve the intermittent electrical issues. They gave me a new Cayenne Diesel to use until it is resolved, the dealership manager did say if they can not find something in a timely fashion he'll push to have the car replaced. I'll update with what I hear from PCNA when they call me later today.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I spoke with the regional coordinator earlier. She was very polite and pleasant. She listened as I explained the issues I was having and my concerns about the lack of resolutions the previous times the car was in. She apologized for the difficulties I was having and promised to make sure my case monitored closely and provide me direct feedback during the process. She has alerted the regional engineer, who did see the car when it was in for the blower issue, that the car was back in. She said they had searched the worldwide maintenance database and no other 981's have anything remotely similar. I explained to her that I expected a resolution, with details surrounding what was done and why, so that I am confident the problem has been resolved, to which she agreed and if they could not determine the exact cause they would replace the car. Now the waiting game begins and I have to decide how long is reasonable for them to troubleshoot this before I just ask for a new car.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
The law above mentions

"The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days;"

But I sure wouldn't wait 30 days if you not gonna involve that law.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Orangecrush had a continuing problem with a electrical problem indicating a ASB or PSM failure. Sounds like after numerous attempts, he finally got it fixed.

Of all the problems that are difficult to resolve, I think electrical gremlins are the hardest because there are so many potential failure points.

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
My two cents: If this is a car you bought, with long term ownership in mind, I would seriously consider "Lemon-lawing" it. If you leased, oh well after three or four years its someone else's lemon. Think about it, it's a brand new car, who knows what's wrong with it, Porsche has already talked about replacement, what IF these problems reappear down the line, maybe it's me, but I wouldn't keep it. You're not talking about a Corolla or a Civic and I'm not sure if all this rigmarole will appear in a CarFax report when you want to sell it. This might be a blessing in disguise, you'll get a brand new car......again and hopefully lots of dealer/Porsche goodies for your trouble. Either way, I wish you well.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Unfortunately all repairs should appear on the CarFax report. With all of the self diagnostic software on cars nowadays, you would think that it would be kicking out all kinds of fault codes with all of these problems.

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
I'd like to chime in....

First, I'm TERRIBLY sorry to hear your having electrical problems. There are two effects to this.

Obviously the first is the actual failure of your new car. No one expects or wants to have a brand new car screw up.

The second and just as bad IMO is the constant "looking" for what is going to pop up next. I had several, several issues with an electrical problem. It was horrible to keep looking at the dash expecting to see the light come back on. Every time I would get a light that would say "mind remaining miles", I'd look twice. Every time I'd get notice there, I'd look again... it really was nerve racking.

So I hope you get it fixed soon or get a new car. I assure you with the amount of 981's that have been sold, yours is the exception rather than the rule. I'm also of the opinion that whatever your problem is, there's a good chance that one item is causing all of it. (i.e. electrical short, etc, etc)

Last but not least, I'd like to say something about PNA. I've been in the automotive business for 30 years. I've seen dealerships and manufactures handle all sorts of claims. I've done warranty, I've worked for dealerships and have seen and heard horror stories that would make anyone not want to buy a new car.

Having said that, I have to say that Porsche has customer service SECOND TO NONE! I've seen cars sit at dealerships waiting for weeks and months waiting for an approval or someone looking at it. Not Porsche, they send it to the service dept, if they end up sending an engineer, (in person or via computer) once they have it, someone in customer service monitors it. It has 2 days to get an update. If an update hasn't been given, it steps up to another level.

Porsche's customer service is absolutely fantastic.

Hope you get it fixed or replaced soon!

Mark

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
yeah, what is the current status on that?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry so I had another thread that was addressing some other issues I Was having also.

Car ended up in the dealer with multiple issues for my electrical and system issues I seemed to have two issues.

1. PCM was not married to the VIN Of the vehicle, which they felt was causing some of my issues with my stereo and iPod

2. I had a bad CAT with a bad sensor that was throwing bad electrical signals and voltages on the bus that could have caused my issues with my blower and PSM, top etc...

I've had the car back for about 10 days now and everything has been good still waiting for a few more weeks before I let them close out the service tickets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow, pulling for your continued success! jon

Reactions: s-works

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Came home to nice letter from Porsche NA with a voucher to use at my dealer for services, equipment, apparel ....Very pleasant surprise :hilarious:

·
PCA Member
1,951 Posts
Came home to nice letter from Porsche NA with a voucher to use at my dealer for services, equipment, apparel ....Very pleasant surprise :hilarious:
Yup, got the same letter for $2K.

Then they just told me to tear up the voucher and they'd send me a check.

Nice extra cash....

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts