Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Boxster and wonder if there might be a problem leaving the roof down (in garage) for 3 or 4 days. Would it harm the fabric or mechanics?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't speak for the boxter specifically however, I have owned several Mercedes CLK soft top convertibles. One had a grey top and the current one has a black top. I have never left the tops down on either vehicle for an extended period of time out of paranoia. The one with a grey top still looked brand new after 8 years. My rationale for not leaving the tops down for long periods of time is based on the potential for the top to crease or wrinkle especially where the cross members in the top are.

Something else to keep in mind, is that by leaving your top down in the garage, you are exposing your interior to ALOT of dust and potentially humidity which could cause more long term wear on the leather and other interior surfaces.

I don't know if this helps, just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have on some occasions left the top down for as long as 3 months, granted that was because I had the hardtop on. But the concept is the same.

Just make sure there are no wrinkles in the fold if you decide for it, there shouldnt be any normally, but just in case.

A note though, Jputt is right about the dust, if I may ask, why would you wanna do that anyway?

Oh and please post in the correct forum, there is a forum for Boxster stuff ;)

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
3 months is one thing...he's talking about 3-4 days. Absolutely nothing bad can happen by leaving it down 3-4 days.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of the benefits of having a garage is not having to put the top up every nite. Mine is down more than it is up. They do make covers to keep the interior clean and to protect from Sun damage when the top is down. Keeps a light rain out too

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nitro8472: It's not that I would want to leave the roof down, but after a heavenly midday drive I put her into the garage and intending to go out again shortly I left the roof down. This happened and then that required a phone call and then that happened and I forgot the roof was down. And then I went out of town and when I got back I realized that the roof was down. So that prompted my question.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Nitro8472: It's not that I would want to leave the roof down, but after a heavenly midday drive I put her into the garage and intending to go out again shortly I left the roof down. This happened and then that required a phone call and then that happened and I forgot the roof was down. And then I went out of town and when I got back I realized that the roof was down. So that prompted my question.
Oh, now that makes sense :p. Hope you're relieved now!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't imagine something like this having a long lasting negative impact, so long as it doesn't become a habit.

Rest easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts