Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My convertible top (2007 BS) is frayed through the top layer of the fabric on both sides where it folds. I have noticed wear spots on all Boxsters...anyone have experience getting their top replaced????

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
My convertible top (2007 BS) is frayed through the top layer of the fabric on both sides where it folds. I have noticed wear spots on all Boxsters...anyone have experience getting their top replaced????
Sounds like the top isn't fitting properly and has worn. If you bought this car new then you probably can get this changed.

btw some wear is normal but the top should never wear through.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On my '05, which is always garaged, there are wear marks from three round supports right above the passenger compartment. However, mine is not wearing through. You should see if you can get the top replaced under warranty.

I think it's a shame that Porsche can't do better on a $60,000 car. People have accused Porsche of cutting corners with the Boxster and I think the top is one of those areas. During 10 years of owning a 968, I never saw this kind of top wear. The plastic rear window was another matter.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I too have some wear on my top. I do hope it can be covered under warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Boxster S , with-only two years on the road and 24k miles and my convertible top is showing serious wear on both sides (in identical places) where the top folds. It is a patch about 5 inches long and 1 inch wide - the material is raised and all of the water proofing fiber has worn away, in another year I expect that it will completely wear through. The car has been perfectly maintained and cared for and it is still under warranty. I discussed with the local Porsche Dealer and the Service Manager told me that this is considered normal wear by Porsche and said they would not replace it. It is clearly a design flaw and should not be wearing out like this after such a short amount of time. This Boxster is a Limited Edition RS 60 Spyder and cost $70k new, this seems outrageous to me that Porsche does not warranty the top for a meer 30 months! Does anyone else have a similar problem, or any ideas or how to convince Porsche that this should be covered under warranty for a number of reasons. Still trying hard to be a Porsche faithful but finding it harder to see the integrity in the company.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I discussed with the local Porsche Dealer and the Service Manager told me that this is considered normal wear by Porsche and said they would not replace it.
I wonder if they'd consider it normal wear if a leased car was turned in with a hole in the ragtop? Somehow I doubt it.

BTW, I've leased several BMW Z convertibles which started to show a little minor wear after a few years. Since I was planning on keeping my Porsche for a long time (10+ yrs), I decided to forgo the big sky and got a Cayman.
The thought of paying for a new top, even if only every 4-5 years of Florida sun, seemed too much to pay for the enjoyment.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 2008 Boxster S , with-only two years on the road and 24k miles and my convertible top is showing serious wear on both sides (in identical places) where the top folds. It is a patch about 5 inches long and 1 inch wide - the material is raised and all of the water proofing fiber has worn away, in another year I expect that it will completely wear through. The car has been perfectly maintained and cared for and it is still under warranty. I discussed with the local Porsche Dealer and the Service Manager told me that this is considered normal wear by Porsche and said they would not replace it. It is clearly a design flaw and should not be wearing out like this after such a short amount of time. This Boxster is a Limited Edition RS 60 Spyder and cost $70k new, this seems outrageous to me that Porsche does not warranty the top for a meer 30 months! Does anyone else have a similar problem, or any ideas or how to convince Porsche that this should be covered under warranty for a number of reasons. Still trying hard to be a Porsche faithful but finding it harder to see the integrity in the company.
Welcome to Porsche "customer service." This appears to be yet another case of the company in denial about a design flaw (as they have long been over the M96 engines and IMS failures). They take your substantial purchase price and then, when you have a legitimate issue, they thumb their nose at you. I'm still enjoying the performance of my '05 S (as long as the engine holds out), but I'd never buy another car from a Porsche dealer because of the company's attitude. Here are some thoughts:
Write a certified letter to Porsche's marketing director: David Pryor, VP, Marketing, Porsche Cars of North America, Inc., 980 Hammond Drive, Suite 1000, Atlanta, GA 30328. Tell him Porsche is jeopardizing a customer relationship with this policy and you'll need to let friends and business acquaintances know that Porsche doesn't stand behind its products. If someone in Pryor's position isn't concerned about this, then no one in the company is.
Send a note to Joe White, [email protected], the Wall Street Journal's auto writer, and ask him why Porsche isn't addressing this problem.
Contact your local newspaper and TV consumer reporters.
File a Better Business Bureau complaint against the local dealer, or better yet, file a BBB complaint against Porsche headquarters in Atlanta. (I've had success with this tactic in dealing with a rebate issue I had with another company.)
If you're on Twitter, tweet about the issue with a link back to this thread. The more progressive companies (I'm not certain Porsche is one) follow tweets about them and try to get back to customers to resolve issues.
Post a message on the wall of the Porsche Facebook page.

It would be nice not to have a fight with the company, but when you get blown off like this after shelling out $70K, what are you supposed to do? Until owners stand up for their rights and stop drinking the Kool-Aid, this abuse will continue. Good luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you do the annual maintenance on your top as specified in the owner's manual? Before you guys go on a binge, might want to read your manual and you will find that:

1) You do NOT want to wash the top all the time. Only on occasion.

2) No automatic car washes

3) Once a year you have to put a treatment on your top, there are several products out there, but I use the Porsche Techquipment one which my dealer sells for $ 16 a can.

Porsche Tequipment Cabrio Top Protectant (Aerosol)

A canvas top is a canvas top. Take care of it, and it will last, neglect it and it won't. I have no wear on my 2008 whatsoever, but I follow the treatment regimen.

·
Registered
307 Posts
While I agree that proper maintenance is important, there are canvas tops and then there are cheaper canvas tops unbecoming a $70,000 car. The Boxster tops fall into the latter category. I treat my top with RaggTopp, use no soap on it and keep the car garaged with the top up. Today, the top looks like it has wear that you'd normally find on a 60,000-mile car. The problem is that my Boxster has less than 14,000. The top on my old 968 was of much better quality, even when I sold it after 10 years, with more outdoor exposure (including winter driving), no top treatments and 56,000 miles. I've seen similar maintenance arguments on the IMS failure issue (you must have abused the car, you didn't drive it enough, etc., etc.). Those arguments simply don't fly. I recently spent some time on the Miata forum when I was thinking of getting rid of my Boxster before the engine died and I would be saddled with a small fortune in repairs. I can hardly recall a post there involving premature top wear on a car that sells for a fraction of the Boxster. It's well known that Porsche cut corners in a number of areas on the Boxster. There's no point in blaming the owner for lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Would someone post pictures of these wear? I haven't noticed on mine, though probably good to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the same wear on mine 05 with 32k miles. It never even saw the rain until I had to daily drive it for a few months recently. I'll see if I can't post a picture the next time I work on the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I may have discovered a solution to one of the causes of wear!

In my case I had wearing of the fibers(only a few inches) on both sides of the rear glass in a localized area simirlarly described above. My 06 has 24,000 miles generally driven with the top down. This mode seems to create the wear more than leaving the top up. I think it is because the fabric is creasing in this zone and 100's of hours of vibration are abrading the the fold area. I was prematurely going to lose this top.

So my solution is the wonder of western culture...Duct Tape! But fret not because I did not apply it externally but on the inside of the wear area between the headliner and inside fabric. I cringed at silver tape so I bought black duct tape just for my peace of mind. The top was moved into service position. You can then slip your hand in between the liner and top and feel a creased area beside the rear window. I then cut several pieces of tape less than 6 inches long and fished the tape back to the area in my fingertips. The inside of the crease was then built up by the tape making it thicker and stiffer in that area.

What this does is force the crease and related wear elsewhere than this localized area. By the time the wear becomes an issue elsewhere it will probably be time to replace the top anyway. Word of caution- monitor the wear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I noticed similar wear on my car. When I took it in for a 40K mile service, I looked and saw that every single CPO Boxster had the same wear to one degree or another.

I asked the service manager about it, and he confirmed that it's caused by the top fabric rubbing against itself when the top is in the down position. He said they see that wear more on cars that have been driven extensively or stored with the roofs down.

He suggested putting a microfiber towel in the crease on each side when you lower the top. Sounds like it would work, though part of the big appeal of this car is how quickly and easily you can out the top down, and that would obviously be thwarted by having to stop and stick rags in the top when you put it down.

I've decided I'm not going to worry about it. The wear seems superficial at this point. Will it eventually wear a hole in the top? Maybe. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The duct tape solution above is interesting, though.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I wonder if they'd consider it normal wear if a leased car was turned in with a hole in the ragtop? Somehow I doubt it.

BTW, I've leased several BMW Z convertibles which started to show a little minor wear after a few years. Since I was planning on keeping my Porsche for a long time (10+ yrs), I decided to forgo the big sky and got a Cayman.
The thought of paying for a new top, even if only every 4-5 years of Florida sun, seemed too much to pay for the enjoyment.
I totally agree with your comment here. Especially if you lease, I am sure some dealers would pick your pocket for this upon return of the vehicle at the lease end. The drooping headliner, top wear and button peeling issues should all be a warrantied item IMHO. (if the car is reasonably cared for that is)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The Boxster tops all seem to wear in the same spots. My top lasted 12 years with one plastic window replacement. I maintained the treatment procedures in the manual except I used Raggtop. I've looked at every Boxster top that I've come across and they all have the same wear pattern. My new GAAH is already showing wear in the same spots and my friends 996 top shows the same wear spots. I put my top down all the time when I drive the car, except in the rain, because that is one of the reasons I bought it so I figure it is a part of the enjoyment of owning a convertible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may have discovered a solution to one of the causes of wear!

In my case I had wearing of the fibers(only a few inches) on both sides of the rear glass in a localized area simirlarly described above. My 06 has 24,000 miles generally driven with the top down. This mode seems to create the wear more than leaving the top up. I think it is because the fabric is creasing in this zone and 100's of hours of vibration are abrading the the fold area. I was prematurely going to lose this top.

So my solution is the wonder of western culture...Duct Tape! But fret not because I did not apply it externally but on the inside of the wear area between the headliner and inside fabric. I cringed at silver tape so I bought black duct tape just for my peace of mind. The top was moved into service position. You can then slip your hand in between the liner and top and feel a creased area beside the rear window. I then cut several pieces of tape less than 6 inches long and fished the tape back to the area in my fingertips. The inside of the crease was then built up by the tape making it thicker and stiffer in that area.

What this does is force the crease and related wear elsewhere than this localized area. By the time the wear becomes an issue elsewhere it will probably be time to replace the top anyway. Word of caution- monitor the wear.
I'm definitely going to have to try this. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts