Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I drive the Cayman I check the fluid level as I had the light go on and needed to add fluid. Since the car is a CPO I called the dealer and was told to just add distilled water which I did. After I take it out for a run, put it in the garage and let it set I check the fluid level. Each time the level is just down to the minimum and I add a little more distilled water. There is no water on the garage floor so I am not sure if I have a leak that only shows up when the car is running or if there is not a problem at all.

Any suggestions as to why I need to keep adding water to bring it back up to the max indicator would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Midnight Shadow

2011 Cayman

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did you have you coolant replaced recently? Maybe they did not burp it properly and there are residual air bubbles still coming out. Also, Have you heard anything odd noises coming from the engine bay (i.e. whining or growling)? If that's the case your waterpump maybe failing and allowing coolant to leak out slowly. This was the case for me on my 08CS. It started with a little loss of coolant and then in the coming weeks I heard a growling sound that was progressively getting louder. I never notice and wet spots either but typically it's only going to leak while it's running in this case. The dealer covered it under my CPO warranty.

Here's a video of my actual car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTTCRIzVjaE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only had the car for 9000 miles. I assume when I got it that they had checked the water pump and the coolant or they would not have been able to CPO it. I do not hear any noises at all. I don't know if they burped it properly and will be taking it in soon for its 50000 check up. I will ask them to check it for me. My dealer is very tight about things covered under warrantee so don't know what they will say. Since the car came from Southern Cal and it is now in snow country I want the dealer to check the antifreeze level anyway. I am not sure the antifreeze is appropriate to where I live. I may ask them to flush it out and put antifreeze in it for me.

The good news so far is that it is not making any noise I guess.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions of things to check or what might be going on?
Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for such a simple question but being new to Porsche I don't know what PCNA means. Is it Porsche Club of North America or is it the 1-800-Porsche number that I call? Sorry I should know but I don't know what the initials stand for.

Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Porsche Cars of North America....have them check your water pump. The CPO inspection at least for my car seemed to take place at the salesman's desk as I had a leaking water from the beginning. It was replaced under CPO.

Good Luck

Rob

·
Registered
509 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a similar issue on my 2007 Cayman I purchased last June. No leakage on floor, but every week I'd have to add a cup or two of fluid to bring the level back up. Finally brought it in to the Porsche dealer who pressure tested it without a problem. Dealer surmised the prior owner had changed the fluid and not properly filled it and there were air pockets. It's been about a month and 1000 miles since the dealer visit without any change in level.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything checked out fine including the pressure check. Most have not been properly filled and had some air pockets. After adding water three times it is staying where it should be and everything seemed fine when inspected.
Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glad to hear it. But that made me think a little more about my issue. If the person that changed the coolant in my 2007 Cayman didn't know how to properly fill it, how much confidence do I have they used Porsche coolant? I'm thinking of having it changed just to be safe.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts