Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a coolant drain plug on these 987 M97 engines like there is on 986 M96s?

For various reasons, I'd like to be able to drain a little coolant out and inspect it.

If no plug, how do I go about that? Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is there a coolant drain plug on these 987 M97 engines like there is on 986 M96s?

For various reasons, I'd like to be able to drain a little coolant out and inspect it.

If no plug, how do I go about that? Thanks.
I dont think there is a designated plug. And I dont think there is a way to cleanly drain a little coolant. When I changed my water pump, what I discovered was that undoing any of the clamped joint marked in below picture results in a gushing coolant stream flowing out.

coolant-3.jpg

A few words of warning:

1) Make sure the coolant is cool enough, before you attempt; this will reduce the coolant system pressure as well.
2) Also, not sure what extracting some coolant will do to the coolant system pressure. You might have to bleed the system if air get in.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If you just want to test the coolant, you can get it (with a turkey baster) from the expansion tank in the engine compartment. Less likely to introduce an air pocket - unless you drain too much and run the engine while the level is too low.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I don't know of a drain plug either. The deluge drain method is cheaper to manufacture. Apparently the poor sucker standing under it getting a coolant shower is not a concern when pulling a hose. Amenities like drain plugs or petcocks have been going the way of the dodo for some time.

Not sure how much you're looking to pull for a sample. The easiest way would either be using a bulb syringe (turkey baster etc) to pull one. Either from the fill port in the trunk or by removing the engine cover and taking the sample from the tank after removing the blue pressure cap. Neither should introduce air into the system but YMMV. I wouldn't try pushing anything passed the min/max tabs in the fill port. No idea how fragile they might be.

If you're planning on checking coolant concentration by specific gravity I don't know if the Porsche coolant is the same as the ethylene glycol mixes or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts