Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Didn't find anything similar to this in a search...

Recently I've been losing a lot of coolant on my 2008 CS - about 24oz after 70mi. - so I took the car in for service. Dealer said they found and replaced a warped service cap in the engine bay (not the blue filler cap) then did a pressure check and all was ok.

Drove home in rush hour traffic, about an hour, then parked. Waited till next morning, with nighttime temps in the 30's (F), looked at the coolant level and it's over MAX: between MAX and the top of the cap. There was no indication of coolant in the rubber catch-basin. Dealer said not to worry about it.

So, my understanding is that there's a relief valve on the expansion tank - presumably the cap they replaced is on this tank, right? So, it's odd to me why I'd still have coolant over max considering my hour of driving home. Could anything have been harmed? Should I siphon the excess coolant out? I'm assuming Porsche has that MAX level there for a good reason.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. does anyone else think the blue cap with its plastic-on-plastic threading is poor (cheap) and difficult to use?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it too much, the level will fluctuate a bit after adding coolant. There is a pressure relief valve...i made use of it at the track a few weeks ago. similar story actually, i lost some coolant due to a shitty hose and refilled to the midpoint of the low and high level indicators. overflowed at the track and settled somewhere near the max line...haha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts