Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have searched for and found several answers to the "quirks" of car over first two months of ownership but can't find anything on this topic other than one from 2006 with no apparent resolution given. http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...laints/4173-coolant-puddle-after-running.html

Noticed a small puddle under the front/center of car today, back in area under center radiator. Cant really see a color but felt slimy like coolant. Checked level (cold of course) and it's at minimum mark, I added water/coolant to fill, didn't really take much which is what makes me think it's not a real leak, but still curious. Second to last time out the car had been run hard last time out, but not exceedingly and was at normal temps when shut down. No warning indicators in the one subsequent trip. Total miles about 2600 to date.

I have no idea where the overflow tank/tube is on this car, but the front/center of car seems an odd location. Any ideas/suggestions/experience on this one? I'll obviously keep an eye on it, but the car's about to take off on a 1500 mile trip with the missus!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If the car is a PDK then it will have a centre radiator so could be that. Otherwise, I think there are some pipes that run across the front of the car between the radiators which could be leaking.

I've just had to have my radiators changed last week on my 2007 CS and there was only the slightest sign of coolant on the ground.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have searched for and found several answers to the "quirks" of car over first two months of ownership but can't find anything on this topic other than one from 2006 with no apparent resolution given. http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...laints/4173-coolant-puddle-after-running.html

Noticed a small puddle under the front/center of car today, back in area under center radiator. Cant really see a color but felt slimy like coolant. Checked level (cold of course) and it's at minimum mark, I added water/coolant to fill, didn't really take much which is what makes me think it's not a real leak, but still curious. Second to last time out the car had been run hard last time out, but not exceedingly and was at normal temps when shut down. No warning indicators in the one subsequent trip. Total miles about 2600 to date.

I have no idea where the overflow tank/tube is on this car, but the front/center of car seems an odd location. Any ideas/suggestions/experience on this one? I'll obviously keep an eye on it, but the car's about to take off on a 1500 mile trip with the missus!
Additional Info:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-service-tech/106359-coolant-question-favor.html

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 6.

Took the car out just now after "topping off" the coolant and after being parked for another 10 minutes afterward doesn't appear to be any additional leaking in the area. I did catch a slight whiff of coolant once fully heated up and driving, but that's probably related to the min-is-really-full topic linked above. I'll let it ride, and see what's what.

It is conceivably possible the puddle was a remnant from last wash, but that was a couple days ago and seldom does water survive on concrete in TX for two days, even in the spring!

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
for peace of mind.. take out the engine cover do a pressure test on inside cover of coolant in engine compartment if you go low again... you might have a little nick on the left or right radiator..

Lemon..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts