Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently filled my coolant up on a 08 cayman s . It was a little low so I brought it up to between the min and max level. I only add a small amount maybe 8 to 12 oz.I took it out for a short drive and when I got home I noticed that I had coolant leaking behind the rear wheel. It was not that much and temp is dead on at 175. I am taking it to the shop on the 20th of April for a check up. Do you think it is ok to drive. This is my 1st porsche so I am a little nervous. Car has 35000 miles on it. Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
It might just be overfill from when you topped off when the engine got to the proper temp. Check your coolant cap to see if the rubber O ring is worn.

·
Registered
453 Posts
...and temp is dead on at 175
Just FYI - the temperature gauge is not displaying the actual temperature - it's more of a Cold - Normal - Hot indicator. 175 means normal but the actual temperature could be 200 degrees. Many car manufacturers don't want moving temp needles and let them sit at a 'normal' temperature.
There are some threads here (for example http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/34162-water-temperature-accuracy.html ) about this.

So getting a reading of 175 means you are good and probably just overfilled a bit. As Trev450 said you would get a warning light if coolant falls below minimum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts