Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect my mechanic did not use OEM coolant after a recent water pump replacement, because my old fluid was pink and now it is a bluish color. I am sure I can raise the car on jack stands. But, how do I drain the old fluid and replace it with the 6 gallon 50/50 distilled water, Porsche coolant mix.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Your Porsche will run just fine with what's in it as long as your mechanic used a non-phosphate blend antifreeze. You don't have to have the pink Porsche antifreeze. Most European cars require non-phosphate and plenty of companies make it. Just verify what brand he used and that it is non-phosphate. You should do this anyway so you know what brand to buy if you're ever low. There's a good chance your car will be low a time or two after a WP change and you'll need to top it up. But in FL you don't have to worry about it as much as the norther states and could just use distilled water.

Unless you have a vacuum pump to push out the antifreeze, you won't get all of it out by just draining it. Then you'll have a mixure of pink and blue. That would be the least favorable of all the possible scenarios (with the exception of using a phosphate antifreeze). The only disadvantage of using non-Porsche antifreeze is the dealer won't be able to top it off if you take it in for service, but it sounds like you're already using an indie for your work so it won't matter.

Relax and take your Cayman for a drive today.

Reactions: jhthornley

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Husker; Thanks for the advice and your right. Why should I try to protect a "made in China" water pump, when my real plans are to finish paying off this shell and turning it into a sleeper by installing a 3.6 M97 in it. Although I can't believe, I can't change the coolant in my own car. I thought that I could let the coolant out the bottom and run the engine a little with the vent valve open to refill it.

·
Registered
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
593 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I believe that is true.
I'm using Zerex G40 pink which Pelican Parts shows as a OEM supplier and it costs @26.25 gal instead of $40.25 for the Porsche labeled container.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I am a really cheap person, but when I did the math on the cost after the PCA discount for about $10 I went crazy and bought the Porsche stuff, I would never buy Porsche brand plugs, coil packs, filters, all of those item are very easy to figure out who makes them and cost about 1/2 or less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts