Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days I've noticed my coolant temperature gauge is running about 20 degrees higher than normal. It has usually run 205-210, but lately is showing 226 degrees. I checked the level and added almost a quarter of coolant mix, but it had no effect on the temperature.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's likely time to check the radiators for leaves or other obstructions. These cars have a penchant for vacuuming stuff up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check your fans too
Dealer showed me pix of the styrofoam cup piece that had been caught in my passenger side fan blade

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
That doesn't seem high to me. I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure I run at 223 regularly when I'm fully warm. 205 - 210 sounds too low for "full operating temperature". If anything, I'd say that you may have previously had an abnormality where you ran too cool and that now it's corrected itself.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The past few days I've noticed my coolant temperature gauge is running about 20 degrees higher than normal. It has usually run 205-210, but lately is showing 226 degrees.
You're talking about OIL temperature, no? Coolant temperature gauge is buffered, meaning it doesn't move from 194 until it surpasses around 235ºF, even though coolant temperature fluctuates constantly, just like oil one does. Every 981 owner needs to check their cars preferably since new, until system is fully purged of air. Due to being mid-engine, there's a lot of air that needs to be burped over time. On my brand new GTS, with only 11 miles on the clock, it took more than half a quart to bring reservoir to full. Kept adding coolant after several full cold/hot/cold cycles until it finally fully stabilized, but it took about a quart of coolant for that. Those who never checked it, at some point get a low coolant warning, meaning there's a significant amount of air in your system, which will take much longer to purge. What I suggest you do until that happens is use sport mode all the time, which lowers coolant temperature by a lot (from 225 to 185), which will also bring your oil temperature down. That's what many of us do since day 1, including me, since I live in hot TX, and don't want my oil running that hot all the time. Keep adding coolant to the reservoir until it's stable, but keep in mind it only takes like ONE OUNCE of fluid to bring that stupid floating gauge from low to full. If you overfill it, you'd be looking at a mess. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I'm talking about coolant temperature. I have both programmed to show both. I'd checked the level and while back, and it was OK with the float showing. Took almost a quarter to float the stick this time. I'm also aware of the benefits of sport plus mode, use it often but not always. And the coolant gauge is not buffered on the GTS as on the base answer S models, it is actually temperature.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
And the coolant gauge is not buffered on the GTS as on the base answer S models, it is actually temperature.
It's buffered man; I own a 2016 GTS (there's no newer 981 model), and it always shows 194 (even though in sport mode is actually 185ºF when cruising), whether in normal or sport mode. Thankfully, oil temperature is not, so we can more or less extrapolate coolant temperature from coolant, since oil is both heat and cooled by the coolant (you could comment on that difference since you seem to have an OBDII gauge or something). But I'd still like the coolant temp to be exact, like the oil one. The only car where it was exact was on my ex-Corvettes... and motorcycles. At any rate, give it time for your cooling system to burp itself out of air, and things should return to normal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
+1 Buffered

Mine gets to 194 and never moves . . . . . .

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I don't know how people override the thermal management system in a 981, but would like to hear how it is done.
Just keep sport mode activated all the time, like many of us do, and don't worry about it unless it fails;). But yes, once again, Germans make something simple and proven complicated and less reliable. Oh well. Have a great weekend everybody.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just keep sport mode activated all the time, like many of us do, and don't worry about it unless it fails;). But yes, once again, Germans make something simple and proven complicated and less reliable. Oh well. Have a great weekend everybody.
WTF does that have to do with my post you quoted?

·
Registered
483 Posts
+1 Buffered

Mine gets to 194 and never moves . . . . . .
I've never seen another reading after it gets to that level either. If OP is really seeing this in coolant temp, I'd get it looked at.

His specifics seem like he's quoting oil though, and the levels with Sport on/off in my experience. The coolant temperature would likely not have normally been at the 205 quoted level. He's been around a while though, so it seems less likely he's actually just wrong.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would imagine it depends on the ambient temperatures where you drive. During the summer here in the Sacramento valley, where high 90's are comon, my coolant temperatures are frequently above 194.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
WTF does that have to do with my post you quoted?
As in WTF are you thinking of messing with the thermal management system if it's not giving you any trouble;), especially when you can put the car in sport mode, like it didn't exist. If it gives you trouble, then it'd make sense to think about 'overriding' it, whatever the hell you meant by that:).

·
Registered
443 Posts
As in WTF are you thinking of messing with the thermal management system if it's not giving you any trouble;), especially when you can put the car in sport mode, like it didn't exist. If it gives you trouble, then it'd make sense to think about 'overriding' it, whatever the hell you meant by that:).
WTH is wrong with you? Where did I say I was messing, or thinking of messing, with anything. A few people claim their systems are operating different than what Porsche designed, as in their cooling temps are not pinned at 194 when in normal operating range, and I asked a simple question as to how they managed that. Somehow that leads to you declaring I am messing with the system in my car, and lecturing me on the use of Sport mode. BTW, your constant use of condescending smilies in your posts doesn't make you look any smarter. It will take more than that.

·
Registered
897 Posts
2016 CGTS owner for almost 1 year and 9,700 miles. My coolant temperature has always read 194 degrees once the car is warmed up.

I've driven my car in ambient temperatures from 40 degrees to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the coolant temp has always been 194.

The oil temps have varied from approximately 200 to 225 degrees Fahrenheit depending on what mode the car is in ( Normal, Sport or Sport Plus ) and how hard I'm pushing the car that day.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
WTH is wrong with you?
WTF? Are you on drugs or something? First of all, read again your freaking posts man, and tell me what the hell were you asking then. I told you before coolant temp ALWAYS say 194 on 981s, but it can be between 185 to 230, like in ALL cars except very few sports cars (like the Corvette). So yes, you were implying removing the system; what else? The only smart thing I'll be doing now is adding you to my ignore list, because you seem to be having a bad day, and picking stupid fights. And with those comments and posts, no way I'd learn anything from you;). Have a nice life man.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think Alf was joking (being facetious actually) . Which you misinterpreted and then he didn’t understand your response.

Isn’t the Internet fun! I think I may sign up for Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.