Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pointer on the coolant temp gauge does not move today. It is stuck at the left hand side. The warning light is flashing. I added some coolant and it didn't change anything. Any ideas what is the problem?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
how much water did you add....if alot call dealer and get them to tow it

·
Registered
128 Posts
So what happened? The light came up today in mine but after a minute or so it went away like nothing ever happened. I never felt anything other than the red light going off and the temp needle all the way to the left. All normal.

·
Banned
464 Posts
The pointer on the coolant temp gauge does not move today. It is stuck at the left hand side. The warning light is flashing. I added some coolant and it didn't change anything. Any ideas what is the problem?
Did you add coolant until it stood between the min. and max. marks at the "sight gauge" in the filler neck? How much coolant did you add?

From other examples brought to the forum by other members, it seems that when you have a bad temp sensor the needle stays foot to the left with th red light on, i don't remember to read about a flashing warning light in this situation. If you, in fact, have low coolant level, this is what is supposed to happen: needle stuck at the left hand side and the warning light flashing. Check with the dealer and don't run the engine until you know for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
My light is on and the gauge is stuck. No hot air comming from defrost after warm up. I filled up with all water and water wetter. Could I have added too much water and what is the fix?
Too much water added and it will simply be expelled out of the header tank, so don't worry on that.

Coolant temp issues can be one of a number of things. Overheat issues are much more complicated (pump, air in system, sensor, DME, dashboard) than what you potentially have to diagnose.

At first glimpse one might say a sensor issue is the culprit, but the fact you have no hot air coming through your vents almost sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open, but still even then I would expect the gauge to move up and not stay indicating cold.
Connecting a diagnostic tool (durametrics or PIWIS (dealer tool)) should show the issue immediately. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.