Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Even more so people are never checking the power steering level because for that you have to remove the engine cover plus for some dumb reason Porsche doesn't have a low level sensor for the power steering thereby destroying the whole power steering system from the rack back.
Directed at earlier cars with hydraulic fluid and Porsche's stupidity. Lucky for us that they did go to electric since they did such a poor job with the hydraulic system.

Didn't know they didn't want you to check coolant level until light went off but it seems very strange to me that a car would use that much coolant. I've never had a car that used more than a few ounces. Usually it goes down from max to low level and stays there. At least that's what I've always noticed.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Again, drove it several times, it went don close to but not all the way to "min", again the eyedropper (well, old turkey baster) technique and half an ounce took it to way over "max". Probably just driving myself nuts. The original 1.5 quarts low was, what, under 6% of capacity, and 1/2 ounce is 1/1600th of capacity?

Directed at earlier cars with hydraulic fluid and Porsche's stupidity. Lucky for us that they did go to electric since they did such a poor job with the hydraulic system.
I rather thought you were pulling my leg. Kinda like "sounds like a muffler bearing problem". If so... good one!

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you see coolant dampness around the outside circle of the coolant cap area, that's an indication that the system spit some out due to thermal expansion. The coolant expands and contracts a surprisingly large amount. That's probably part of the reason they say don't worry about it until you get a warning.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update, almost 3 weeks later; float 1/2 between MIN and MAX, I'll consider that good news. Did not record mileage but let's estimate at +/- 150 miles. I did NOT try refilling, I wanted to avoid over-MAX filling and will continue to check at regular intervals.

Odd little thing. I've only unscrewed the oil filler cap a couple of times since new -- mostly during this coolant issue. No whitish foam under there, etc., but for the underside of the cap to be wet with oil this far above the engine... normal? Lost a couple of drops onto the trunk carpet. This 22 hours since the car last driven.

·
Registered
561 Posts
OK, a couple of follow up questions.

(A) There's an "inner cup" and "outer cup" where the filling is done. In the "outer", I discovered a white rime; more than a film, less than a crust, perhaps 1/4 teaspoon. Presumably leftover solids from evaporated coolant, eh? Anyone else experience that? Cleaned it out with wet, then dry, paper towels.

(B) It took about 1.5 quarts. I guess perhaps that's normal for 50 months, 38K miles?

(C) The red indicator 'float' went from all the way at the bottom to over the 'max' point in about two ounces. Sheesh. No way to remove (splash-out into the outer cup came out with an old turkey baster I had in the workshop)? If not, will the rest "go somewhere", as in an overflow valve? I'd hate to $$$ the dealer to "extract excess coolant" after this.

I know the owner's manual, page 222, says no need to check the level unless the dash indicator comes on, but now I'll be checking it more frequently.

found a neat graduated drink pitcher at the local dollar store, with a lid that locks and sorta seals, for a buck. Unless the coolant dissolves the plastic, not only did it help measuring 50/50, I marked it "Porsche coolant mix" and might keep some ready in the garage.
Speaking from experience when I advise you to keep an eye on that pitcher because I have in fact seen the coolant melt a plastic container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts