Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugggh. One of the things that swung me to consider a Porsche was it's supposed reliability. One of the things in life that I dread more than anything is going to take a car in for unscheduled service. Which is why almost all of my previous cars have been Hondas.

Anyway, with less than 500 miles on the car, I get a "cooling system fault" message telling me that dealer service is required. We continued driving after the message popped and I never saw the coolant temperature move past where it was - 214°f if I recall correctly. The oil temp varied a little bit higher, which was 15 to 25° above the coolant temp. The symbol in the display would lead me to believe that it's related to coolant, not oil though.

Drove for at least another 100 miles after the message popped with no apparent issues. The message did not clear after I stopped for lunch, fuel or parked it in the garage overnight. It really seems as though I'm going to need to take it in. What a PITA.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
You might check the coolant level yourself, but it looks like a dealer visit is called for. BTW the usual coolant temp is 194F. In fact it has to go considerably higher before it moves off the 194 reading.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know the feeling - the thermostat failed on my 2015 Cayman GTS at 120 miles. Luckily, it was stuck open and not close...

Having something go bad on your new car is a potential nightmare not so much due to the problem itself, but more because of what happens at the dealership service department. It's rare to be lucky enough for the car to be serviced by someone who will get it done 100% right. There are just so many ways to screw up, and more often than not that is exactly what happens in my experience.

My advice to you is to do extensive careful research and pick the best place in your area. Don't rush it, and don't bring it to the dealership where you bought the car just because you bought it there. When you find the best place, insist on having a top technician work on it.

I'm speaking from a lot of experience - the most important thing is to avoid getting started on the path where some idiot at the dealership messes up your car. Lemons almost always end up that way because of incompetent dealership service following the initial problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You might check the coolant level yourself, but it looks like a dealer visit is called for.
When the coolant level is too low, the car will complain - there is a sensor in the overflow tank. Not sure what message it gives you. Unfortunately, the overflow tank is not visible in this car. The float in the filling area doesn't give a clear indication. If it's between MIN and MAX, then you're probably ok, but if it's at MIN, you don't know if the level is ok or not.

The lack of visibility and accessibility of anything on this car is quite frustrating... Even something as simple as checking the coolant level. Also, if you want to bleed the system, you have to use the bleeding valve which is under the engine cover. This means working from inside the car, tearing apart the interior... You really don't want anything to go wrong on a car like this!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might check the coolant level yourself, but it looks like a dealer visit is called for. BTW the usual coolant temp is 194F. In fact it has to go considerably higher before it moves off the 194 reading.
Yes, 194 might be the right number. I know it ended in a '4'. Never moved off that number either up or down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the coolant level is too low, the car will complain - there is a sensor in the overflow tank. Not sure what message it gives you. Unfortunately, the overflow tank is not visible in this car. The float in the filling area doesn't give a clear indication. If it's between MIN and MAX, then you're probably ok, but if it's at MIN, you don't know if the level is ok or not.

The lack of visibility and accessibility of anything on this car is quite frustrating... Even something as simple as checking the coolant level. Also, if you want to bleed the system, you have to use the bleeding valve which is under the engine cover. This means working from inside the car, tearing apart the interior... You really don't want anything to go wrong on a car like this!
I wish I had options. One dealer in my metro area. Next closest is over 1.5 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car went into the dealer today. Issue was traced back to a vacuum line to the exhaust system that became disconnected from a t-fitting. They re-routed the line (not sure why it needed to be re-routed) and reconnected it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
785 Posts
"When the coolant level is too low, the car will complain - there is a sensor in the overflow tank. Not sure what message it gives you. Unfortunately, the overflow tank is not visible in this car. The float in the filling area doesn't give a clear indication. If it's between MIN and MAX, then you're probably ok, but if it's at MIN, you don't know if the level is ok or not."

Cold here this morning, car has not been run for almost two months.
Upon startup, radiator symbol with words advising to fill and monitor engine temerature.
Cleared almost immedialtely, so since Porsche Dealer on my way anyway, picked up jug of coolant.
Will check level again tommorrow, mix and fill just a bit.
Car ran fine, followed Range Rover and Lexus SUV home on Tollway at ________.no problems, temp stayed pegged at 194F, all day long.-****

·
Registered
1 Posts
981´s in europe (germany, austria) have the same problems. level is often below max. nobody knows why... sometimes comes "cooling system fault" message. initial air bubbles could be a reason. dealer have no explanation and solution insofar as i know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts