Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my CS this past weekend and I knew it was cold before I started when the hose was frozen. I found another hose and went to town. During the drying off process as I reached the passenger rear quarter hip and I felt a drag like there was 180 grit sand paper slowing me from wiping. I went back over it and it drug again. When I put my hand on it there was a thin film of ice! The rest of the car was fine and that part was the coldest because it was located in the shade the whole time. It was a shocker at first, then I laughed. Within minutes of that I noticed the ground with the drained off water frozen as well. Brrrrr!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
You might consider trying the so-called "waterless" wash solutions. Griots, for example, sells one. Then you can work in the relative warmth of the garage.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yeah you deserve a round of applause for washing your car in these temps. The weather in the past month and especially past couple weeks has made good use of the heated seats.

+1 to what blueone said.

If anyone has non Griot's waterless wash solutions they can suggest I may give one of those a shot too. I tried Griot's product and returned it as I found it left streaks all over my car and unfortunately while speed shine is great to clean up bug/bird related gunk, its not very good when the car is dirty enough to be washed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used Optimum No Rinse waterless wash using the two bucket method as suggested by other members on this site all last winter with great results. I also bought a nice little electric heater, so that I would be a little more comfortable while working in the garage. It worked really well for me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I used Optimum No Rinse waterless wash using the two bucket method as suggested by other members on this site all last winter with great results. I also bought a nice little electric heater, so that I would be a little more comfortable while working in the garage. It worked really well for me.
I agree! Optimum No Rinse is an awesome solution to winter time washing. Definitely my go-to product when the temps fall below acceptable levels to use your standard hose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it is below 32, especially for several days I often you several big pans of warm water from the house, It is not idea as water from the hose but it does in a pinch. I don't care what temperature it is my baby needs 2 or 3 washes a week!

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
I washed my CS this past weekend and I knew it was cold before I started when the hose was frozen. I found another hose and went to town. During the drying off process as I reached the passenger rear quarter hip and I felt a drag like there was 180 grit sand paper slowing me from wiping. I went back over it and it drug again. When I put my hand on it there was a thin film of ice! The rest of the car was fine and that part was the coldest because it was located in the shade the whole time. It was a shocker at first, then I laughed. Within minutes of that I noticed the ground with the drained off water frozen as well. Brrrrr!
It has been cold in South Florida. I had to wear a shirt when I washed my CS last week!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
It always cold from November until March up here and the car has been really dirty this week since Mrs. GM3 didn't take it to Porsche on Saturday for it's usual weekly free car wash. I am working the next five Saturday's so I am not sure if it will get washed for quite a while.

Last night I found an automatic touchless car wash one mile from the house that does not have the wheel aligning metal bars in it so I might go there. My usual automatic touchless place has those bars and I found out that they hit the suspension parts on the drivers side so the Cayman can't go there any longer.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree! Optimum No Rinse is an awesome solution to winter time washing. Definitely my go-to product when the temps fall below acceptable levels to use your standard hose.
Thanks for the suggestion guys, might have to give that a try :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts