Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a reasonable installation cost for a slim powered subwoofer behind passenger seat? I have been quoted from $240-$300 CAD (several shops in lower mainland, BC) excluding power cable & fuse. I thought this is too much but correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Ed. First post but I have been visiting off and on for a few years, enjoying my 987.2. A few weeks ago I updated the audio system in my Cayman and installed a subwoofer like you mentioned. My install cost was $200 for install plus $57 for the interconnects. I am in the Portland, OR area. I hopes this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kmac. It's about the same here then if you do CAD:USD conversion. Where did they tap the output to feed input of SW, stereo receiver or speaker level from the ASK factory amp?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine didn't have an amp - CDR30 Base. RCA from the head unit. Cable run down the center column underneath ashtray, Sorry kind of in the wrong thread but the project is close. Signal from the new Alpine unit not OEM. The sub has high/low input,,,,work with ASK?? No idea. Mine sounds great.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I will make the recommendation that you install the sub in the trunk instead of behind the passenger seat. Or put the extra effort into getting it up under the passenger foot-well as the factory sub-woofer would have come.

Reactions: caymans417

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry for the delay.

There is no option for sub installation behind the seat that will not take away from passenger leg room (the seat will not be able to be retracted all the way). Even if you do not usually have a passenger it will still lead to an awkward situation.

Next is the argument for quality of sound. Compact subwoofers are notorious for having a poor low frequency response. Whatever subwoofer you do choose has an optimum air volume that the enclosure needs to be built to. Most people who use behind the seat boxes are just a generic size.

Everyone has their own opinion and mine would be that the limitations and inconveniences of a behind the seat compact woofer would make it not worth the money. If you are going to do it, do it right. It is a porsche after all . . . .:cheers:

·
Registered
645 Posts
More importantly, why would you want to add a sub to this car at all?
This.

Honestly, if you bought a Cayman/Boxster to listen to high quality audio, you bought the wrong car. The Bose system is more than adequate and the Burmeister is a total waste. These cars are loud rowdy and raucous... There is usually too much engine, tire, and wind noise to really enjoy a high fidelity audio experience. I suppose the argument can be made that if you use your 981 as a DD and just want to have nice tunes while sitting in traffic, then OK...

As others have mentioned, the proper way to do a subwoofer is to place it in an enclosure where it can move the necessary volume of air (usually in the trunk is the least obtrusive place you can put one). Take it from someone who used to rock a pair of Kicker 10" comps and a 500 watt MTX amp in all my previous cars (except the BMW).

You don't want to half-*** a car stereo, and a 981 is simply a bad platform for that. Enjoy the music of the road and push that pedal on the right a bit more. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
This.

Honestly, if you bought a Cayman/Boxster to listen to high quality audio, you bought the wrong car. The Bose system is more than adequate and the Burmeister is a total waste. These cars are loud rowdy and raucous... There is usually too much engine, tire, and wind noise to really enjoy a high fidelity audio experience. I suppose the argument can be made that if you use your 981 as a DD and just want to have nice tunes while sitting in traffic, then OK...

As others have mentioned, the proper way to do a subwoofer is to place it in an enclosure where it can move the necessary volume of air (usually in the trunk is the least obtrusive place you can put one). Take it from someone who used to rock a pair of Kicker 10" comps and a 500 watt MTX amp in all my previous cars (except the BMW).

You don't want to half-*** a car stereo, and a 981 is simply a bad platform for that. Enjoy the music of the road and push that pedal on the right a bit more. :)
Not to go back and forth agreeing with each other, but this is 100% accurate, OP. I had a 3 series with two ported 12" RF's...I love bass and I love audio equipment. But this car makes absolutely no sense for installing any audio components at all.

The combination of the engine and road already makes the Bose system pretty worthless because to hear any vocals at speed, you have to crank the volume, and if you crank the volume on a level soundstage, bass will be the only thing you hear. Every time this topic comes up, I am astounded that anyone would want to spend a single dime "improving" the speakers in this car. If you want to listen to music in your Porsche, return the Cayman and buy a Cayenne or a Panamera.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to go back and forth agreeing with each other, but this is 100% accurate, OP. I had a 3 series with two ported 12" RF's...I love bass and I love audio equipment. But this car makes absolutely no sense for installing any audio components at all.

The combination of the engine and road already makes the Bose system pretty worthless because to hear any vocals at speed, you have to crank the volume, and if you crank the volume on a level soundstage, bass will be the only thing you hear. Every time this topic comes up, I am astounded that anyone would want to spend a single dime "improving" the speakers in this car. If you want to listen to music in your Porsche, return the Cayman and buy a Cayenne or a Panamera.

Everyone has a choice. Don't tell me what to buy. I have 4 cars for different use.
I just want to enjoy nice bassy music when I am stuck in the traffic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree Ed. I am really enjoying my compact sub when I listen to music in my Cayman. It sounds good to me but I understand everyone has their opinion.
I don't need 4 doors to get some bass.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
This.

I full-assed the stereo on my base Cayman. 3 piece Illusion Audio components, Gladen D2 80.6 amp/DSP under the passenger seat, and a new head unit. Definitely sounds worlds better than the base stereo I ordered it with, but I daily drive it and I like to listen to music on the highway. Was it worth it? Well I probably went way past the diminishing returns on sound quality due to the road noise, but whatever. The new head unit was by far the biggest improvement over the factory equipment, and the system sounds incredible... with the engine off!

OP I say go for it. For $240-300, why not? It's easily reversible, isn't it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I full-assed the stereo on my base Cayman. 3 piece Illusion Audio components, Gladen D2 80.6 amp/DSP under the passenger seat, and a new head unit. Definitely sounds worlds better than the base stereo I ordered it with, but I daily drive it and I like to listen to music on the highway. Was it worth it? Well I probably went way past the diminishing returns on sound quality due to the road noise, but whatever. The new head unit was by far the biggest improvement over the factory equipment, and the system sounds incredible... with the engine off!

OP I say go for it. For $240-300, why not? It's easily reversible, isn't it?
For $300, just buy a set of closed back cans and your audio experience would be ten times better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm not a fan of shallow mount subs, the JL13tw are about the only ones worth using but they are $$$. Otherwise a sub really needs a proper sized box to give you clear bass. Your best bet for improved sound (including bass) would be to upgrade your component speakers and possible run a dedicated amp for those ~100 RMS per speaker. These can give you as much bass and clearer sound than most powered shallow mount subs.

Personal recommended brands: Image Dynamics, Rainbow, Treo Audio, Cerwin Vega (only their high end stuff).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Personal recommended brands: Image Dynamics, Rainbow, Treo Audio, Cerwin Vega (only their high end stuff).
I'm happy to hear Cerwin Vega is still making good subs. I have a 15" CV sub on my home theater system, it must be 20 years old now. Bass still sounds excellent and clear for as loud as I care to turn it up...

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can get a JL Audio enclosed sub with or without amp (such as this) and if it is just the right size it will wedge itself into the rear hatch area. Just unplug and remove it if going to the track or need the space for luggage.

ACS112LG-TW1 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - PowerWedge+? - JL Audio

That or even something like a Bazooka tube would be fine for the rear hatch. Have it wired so that you can easily remove it. I assume you just want bass that you can somewhat feel and the Bazooka tube would do just that.

There's no way I'd want to do a "permanent" sub install in a car like the Cayman as it's just too loud inside to get any type of good acoustics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.