Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is a replacement (used) 3.4, 3.6 or 3.8 engine and how much in labor?

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
How much is a replacement (used) 3.4, 3.6 or 3.8 engine and how much in labor?
A year ago a used 3.4 was about $5500. No idea now as I have not seen one for sale in a while. New 3.4 is about $24K, factory remanufactured is about $15K minus $5K core if it is good.

No idea on a 3.6.

A 3.8 is about the same as a 3.4. X-51 not much more, but then there is additional expense of the conversion.

Labor - figure 6-8 hours our and 6-8 hours in at your local shop rate. More if it is a conversion or you do other work.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
So, this may be a dumb question, but why would anyone decide to add a turbo to their 2.7L or 3.4L for about $10k, when it appears that you could do a larger displacement engine for the same money or less?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have seen a good low mile 3.4 go for recently......

Also been offered a 3.8 S motor with a dropped valve but not sure what to offer for it...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
After getting additional input from a former RUF dealer near me and owner of another well-known Porsche tuning vendor, I'm leaning towards the larger displacement N/A swap instead of forced induction.

When I say leaning towards, I'm in dreamland, because it will be at least 3-4 years until I do anything of that magnitude.

·
Registered
132 Posts
why would anyone decide to add a turbo to their 2.7L or 3.4L for about $10k, when it appears that you could do a larger displacement engine for the same money or less?
You can make way more power with a turbo 3.4 than an n/a 3.8.. that is one reason. Not that I think one way is "better" than the other. That will of course depend on what you're doing and what you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts