Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The standard reply is it is expensive. Being a CPA I was curious on exactly what is the cost for HPDE events My cost is based on 5 to 6 track weekends a year. Cost includes basic do it yourself self oil changes, pad and rotor replacements, and brake flush. First cost is depreciation assuming the vehicle is used at least 75%or more for track. I would estimate between $7,000 to $10,000. Then add track fees, track insurance, gas, hotel for one night and miscellaneous is approximately $1,000 to $1,300 per event. Repair cost tires, oil, etc. plus $2,500 contingency for auto repair and other parts Adding this all up and assuming 10 laps a session 8 sessions a weekend leaves a cost of approximately $40 to $50 per lap. I read somewhere that Indy cars cost $3,000 per lap so it is all relative. I assume that a GT3 cup car would easily cost $100 per lap.

·
Registered
593 Posts
What is your depreciation cost time frame, per year? That seems pretty high, but depends a lot on the age and mileage of the vehicle. I've had my 2014 BS for 5 years, and only use it about 10% track time. Based on the current selling prices and my purchase price (I got a great deal), I would guesstimate my depreciation has been about 15K over the 4 years I've owned the car, so you could round up to $4K/year. For a 987 with several more years on it, the depreciation is probably much less, especially if you aren't putting a lot of miles on it. If you start doing a lot of track mods, those generally devalue the car in the resale market.

Most people I know don't purchase track insurance, but that's personal preference. Track fees have been rising, but I'm currently paying about $350/weekend, unless I go to COTA which is about $1K/weekend, but for 3 days. I spend about $40-50/day in gas, depending on the prevailing gas prices. Most tracks I frequent are within a 90-minute drive, so I normally don't stay in a hotel. That $1000-1300 for me is really about $400/event.

I spend about $1200 for a set of Nitto NT-01's, which last about 2 weekends and $800 on Pagid brake pads that last about 5 weekends. I burn through a set of rotors in a couple years at $600, but I get them from FCPeuro, so they are free. Other than that, track-related repairs have been almost non-existent.

So, that gets me to about $1833/weekend, which is about $23/lap. Maybe I run cheaper than most?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course depreciation is a major factor in my calculation depends on price you paid and milage you put on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I couldn’t agree more. Also why I bought a Porsche in the first place. It’s not about the cost, but the experience.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion or perspective, I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get me wrong not that I am complaining but one should measure cost in order that you can afford it in long term.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's always good to understand where your costs are.

Most of my depreciation is because my car is a daily driver, not because I track it. So really that depreciation cost due to track use is probably only 10% of the total $4K yearly depreciation of the car. That gets me down to $1233/event or ~$16/lap.

The biggest cost for me is tires. I've admittedly been hard on them and it's something I had already decided to work on next season. A lot of people get 4 or 5 weekends out of them, and I think I could reasonably cut my costs by a third by being a bit more attentive to how I'm using my tires. If I could get 1/3 more longevity out of my tires, that would decrease my cost to ~$13/lap.

I'll just have to give up being the DE champion. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in finance/accounting as well. I have calculated track days cost me $1000/day, but I would pay double it is so much fun. The feeling going WFO through turn 1 at Laguna is worth every dollar. :)

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
The thing about going to a track event is that you spend whatever is cost and think , wow I wish I would have done that sooner, I have a 987.2 , now that I am a little faster with better tires and pads a 3 day event is about 1,500, when you are learning and not burning up tires an brakes 1,000 or less for a 2 day C or D group event. My last event cost $600 for 3 days for the track, Hotel $250, Gas 90 gallons, brake pads about 1/3 wear, tires 1/2 of a new set , and a some great meals with friends talking about how much fun we had, priceless.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Agree. The fun/dollar quotient is hard to beat - #1 owning a Porsche and #2 driving as fast as you have the skills and cojones to drive it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts