Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer quoted me $700.00 to install a set of headers, said it was a "Big Job". Should I look elsewhere?

·
Vendor
707 Posts
Dealer quoted me $700.00 to install a set of headers, said it was a "Big Job". Should I look elsewhere?

We quote and typically charge 4 hours to prepare for some cushion or any setbacks. the additional 3 hours seems a bit excessive unless it was an entire header and muffler system UNLESS this system has flaps. If this is a switchable flapped system, then unfortunately you need the 3 additional hours for wiring and the usual.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just had Fabspeed put their sport headers and poliched tips on my 981 CS and kept factory muffler. Took 4.5 hours start to finish, but there was a 1 hour lunch break for the installer in there, so 3.5 hours total. I don't have my invoice handy, but I think it well under $400.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was charged $170 in a local shop. Was worried they would charge me over $400 and eas very pleased with the price. I gave $20 tip to the guy since I felt guilty for the low price, haha

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Headers? Super super easy to do on stands. 7 hours is rape.

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
32 Posts
BGB turned me onto GPS in the Boston area to installed Cargraphic manifold & muffler, IPD plenum and BMC filters.
All done in 5 hrs...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I watched my guy install my Fabspeed headers in less than two hours.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Lemmon,which bolt is a pain? Do you need a special tool?

wow.. we charge 250 here in Schnell.. wow.. it only that one stupid bolt thats i a pain...

lemon

·
Registered
84 Posts
where are you located? My understanding is a header install on a Boxster/Cayman should take less than 2 hrs. and I would ask the dealer for their hourly shop rate. $ 700.00 is way to high.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Agreed, not a big job. Less than two hours labor to do this easily by a competent mechanic. However, give them an extra hour to let it cool off, test for leaks, and give a quick test drive. Three hours at $150/hrs for dealer rates and you have $450 or $500 out the door. Your independents are of course much cheaper as has been demonstrated here.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Is that on 987? Is it cause you can't get a socket on it?

there is one in the middle, on each side.... its like 1/32 turn at a time.. and its a 3 inch bolt..

Lemon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts