Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the smallest exterior mods that can be done to these cars is changin' out the side markers. Finally did that little upgrade, and it had a huge impact on the overall look of the vehicle.

The second exterior mod that I did wasn't so small, and it has a really big visual impact as well. I added some new 19" wheels to replace the stock 17". Different color and different size completely changed the look of the car.

I really liked the look of the car when I got it, and I like it even more now. :)

Here's some pictures.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
One of the smallest exterior mods that can be done to these cars is changin' out the side markers. Finally did that little upgrade, and it had a huge impact on the overall look of the vehicle.

The second exterior mod that I did wasn't so small, and it has a really big visual impact as well. I added some new 19" wheels to replace the stock 17". Different color and different size completely changed the look of the car.

I really liked the look of the car when I got it, and I like it even more now. :)

Here's some pictures.
I like your suddenly sinister look. :)

I did the marker swap last year and this week just swapped my 17's for 18" painted CS wheels (the 17's will be used for snow tires). It almost feels like a new car.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your suddenly sinister look. :)

I did the marker swap last year and this week just swapped my 17's for 18" painted CS wheels (the 17's will be used for snow tires). It almost feels like a new car.
The bigger wheels with fresh tires definitely changes the feel of the car. I kept my 17's also. I'll eventually put some winter tires or all-weather tires on them (since we don't really get snow here and I have a 4WD truck). The 17's are pretty scratched up, but not from curb rash. I'm not sure how the previous owner scratched them up where he did. So I'm not worried about them takin' some punishment in the winter if the roads get salted.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts

I agree. I was surprised how much a difference the clear side markers made. My wife noticed!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I was surprised how much a difference the clear side markers made. My wife noticed!
When the wife notices, it's definitely a big deal! :hilarious:

My wife noticed also. As a matter of fact, I bought a set of the clear side markers for my dad, and she installed them on his car! :D

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Flea, the wheels look very nice... but IMO it's just the 1st step before going forward with the GT2 RS looks. Paint the spoiler, vents and mirrors!

I just got the preliminary pictures of my car with all painted parts installed (except for the door side emblems)... I WAS STUNNED!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flea, the wheels look very nice... but IMO it's just the 1st step before going forward with the GT2 RS looks. Paint the spoiler, vents and mirrors!

I just got the preliminary pictures of my car with all painted parts installed (except for the door side emblems)... I WAS STUNNED!
How do you think carbon fiber would look? Would paint look better?

I think I'm gonna focus on some performance next, since the car is just a lowly non-S model. :hilarious: But as long as I have the car, it will be a work in progress. :)

Now I gotta find the pictures of yours (assumin' they're posted). I've been lookin' forward to them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good work. Now just remove those bumberettes and it'll look like it should..... ;););)
Warning... Stupid question ahead...

What are the "bumberettes"?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
How do you think carbon fiber would look? Would paint look better?

I think I'm gonna focus on some performance next, since the car is just a lowly non-S model. :hilarious: But as long as I have the car, it will be a work in progress. :)

Now I gotta find the pictures of yours (assumin' they're posted). I've been lookin' forward to them.
I'm not a fan of Carbon Fiber... don't shoot!:helpme:

as for my pictures... of course not posted! But in a private email if you show me yours I'll show you mine :D

Warning... Stupid question ahead...
What are the "bumberettes"?
I love your fearless questions!!! It's bumperettes :) Check BumperPlugs first page!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a fan of Carbon Fiber... don't shoot!:helpme:

as for my pictures... of course not posted! But in a private email if you show me yours I'll show you mine :D

I love your fearless questions!!! It's bumperettes :) Check BumperPlugs first page!
I have a local painter that's pretty good. He did a pretty killer custom paint job on one of my Harleys. I'll have to give him a call. :)

:hilarious: I didn't think you'd have your pictures up yet. I just had my hopes up. :D I'll wait until the finished product. The teasers kill me. :) I'll be sendin' you an email later on, though.

If you love the fearless/stupid questions, I won't disappoint you. I'm full of them! :hilarious:

If I remove those plugs, won't I just have holes behind them? Those plugs have to look better than holes.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
The holes help in the aerodynamic effect :D

Seems you didn't get the point! You make holes in your bumper to install the bumperette plugs! This way, they'll be rich and you'll be... :hilarious:

It seems seeing my mistress after six weeks ruined my manners... I better go and cool down!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The holes help in the aerodynamic effect :D

Seems you didn't get the point! You make holes in your bumper to install the bumperette plugs! This way, they'll be rich and you'll be... :hilarious:

It seems seeing my mistress after six weeks ruined my manners... I better go and cool down!
Ah... The benefit of better aerodynamics. I bet the help cool the front trunk too. :hilarious:

Man, either it's too early in the morning and I need more coffee, or I'm just that stupid, 'cause I'm still lost on the plugs thing. Are they supposed to be there, or not? If not, what do I replace them with. I'm sure I just added to my "stupid question post count". :hilarious:

I've only had the car for about 6 weeks, and I'd already hate to be without it. It's hard for me to imagine bein' without it for 6 weeks. That's brutal. However, in your case, DEFINITELY worth it! :dance:

·
Registered
418 Posts
For the sake of clarity. The 'bumperettes' are those two heinous bulges on either side of your rear plate.

You would not see these on a factory vehicle in the EU, I believe they are a requirment on some US law. To those of us who live in the EU it appears as if someone has played a practical joke on your cars by effectively sticking kiddie guards to your rear bumper in case you have learn't to reverse yet. I'm pretty sure you can (reverse) and would not have these on my car for more two seconds after leaving the dealer. They actually change the silhouette of you vehicle!! - that ain't right.

Frankly given the amount of time and energy that people spend on this board discussing all sorts of minor mods and aesthetic improvements I am dumbfounded that you guys are still rolling round with stuff that was never part of the original German design and is akin to a moustache on the mona lisa! If there is a good reason to maintain these things I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. I didn't know that. On the vehicles that come with them, what's it look like under the bumperettes? Would takin' them off have a clean look, or would there be visible holes? If there's no real purpose for them, the Mona Lisa might get waxed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Indeed, that is the question. And i think worthy of a new thread... fire one up Flea! :):)

FWIW - I'd be prepared to get a new bumper, so offensive I find those things.... yeah OCD I know.... I'm sure there are cheaper solutions. :hilarious:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Indeed, that is the question. And i think worthy of a new thread... fire one up Flea! :):)

FWIW - I'd be prepared to get a new bumper, so offensive I find those things.... yeah OCD I know.... I'm sure there are cheaper solutions. :hilarious:
So you want me to ask the stupid question so we can both keep our internet reputations? :crazy:

:hilarious: :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not really mate. Of course, being in the UK, I don't have the bumperettes so it would seem a strange point for me to be raising specifically.

Secondly, I have raised it in other threads and people seemed to think I was criticising there vehicles (I guess I am in way!) or generally didn't get what I was on about. Again, I find this at odds with the degree of time people spend discussing the aesthetics of their cars on here.

I will happily start the thread, but as I say I think the issue is more pertinent to those in the USA.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not really mate. Of course, being in the UK, I don't have the bumperettes so it would seem a strange point for me to be raising specifically.

Secondly, I have raised it in other threads and people seemed to think I was criticising there vehicles (I guess I am in way!) or generally didn't get what I was on about. Again, I find this at odds with the degree of time people spend discussing the aesthetics of their cars on here.

I will happily start the thread, but as I say I think the issue is more pertinent to those in the USA.
I was just givin' you a hard time. I seem to ask a lot of stupid questions on here. Actually, I don't think it's really a bad question at all. I didn't realize the cars didn't all come with them. :cheers:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Cool, I'll chime in anyway.

You may also be surprised to learn those clear side-markers you've switched to come as standard in the EU lol, seems the authorities dock side are determined to ruin the aesthetics. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts