Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello There.

I've been reading about P cars on this forum quite a while and wanted to ask couple questions to the owners. I am currently interested in a used Cayman or Cayman S

So basics about me: I've never owned a Porsche car, mid-engine or rear engine car or a 2seater. I currently drive a BMW 128i and planning to upgrade. Besides wife's X3, do not own any other cars. I do 4-5 track days a year. No kids. and a Hot wife :))

Here we go;

1. Currently I drive a coupe and one concern I have is the 2 seater space, What hardship did you guys experience when/if you switched from coupe to 2 seater? What can you guys recommend?

2. How would you compare the service costs after warranty and free maintanence period of a P-car vs. say a BMW or Audi.

3. Reason that I want to upgrade is pure performance based, and one option I have in front of me is to wait for M variant of the 1 series which should be a great performer; good for daily drive and occasional track usage. However, I do not like turbo cars, and this M variant is going to be turbo-ed as well. What can you guys tell me about H6 engine compared to I6 ? If you have experienced both, that would be great.

4. For Cayman S owners; What was the decision point for a Cayman S over Cayman ? is it just the HP difference? Others are welcome to answer as well.

5. I do like an M3, it is NA it is high performer... however I feel like they are too big... What can you guys tell me about the Cayman's (not cayman s) performance on track?

I really appriciate your input.

Regards,

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello There.

Here we go;

1. Currently I drive a coupe and one concern I have is the 2 seater space, What hardship did you guys experience when/if you switched from coupe to 2 seater? What can you guys recommend?

FYI, a coupe is just a 2 door car (they can be 2 seater or 2x2). A sedan is a 4 door. No issues with only having 2 seats as it is a 4th car and I can use one of the others as needed. If you will not have another car...it could become an issue.

2. How would you compare the service costs after warranty and free maintanence period of a P-car vs. say a BMW or Audi.

No free maintenance program on a P car. You have to pay for service during and after warranty.

3. Reason that I want to upgrade is pure performance based, and one option I have in front of me is to wait for M variant of the 1 series which should be a great performer; good for daily drive and occasional track usage. However, I do not like turbo cars, and this M variant is going to be turbo-ed as well. What can you guys tell me about H6 engine compared to I6 ? If you have experienced both, that would be great.

Flat 6 is music to the my ears.

4. For Cayman S owners; What was the decision point for a Cayman S over Cayman ? is it just the HP difference? Others are welcome to answer as well.

HP/torque, brakes, bigger engine has more potential for upgrades.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
4. Power is an aphrodisiac,to the auto enthusiast. The extra power on the Cayman S is just right-the chassis could clearly handle more. I have a 2008 WRX STI (305 bhp, 295 lb/ft TQ) so when CS arrived 3/12 ago power did not feel overwhelming. I would probably be disappointed with less. Some are concerned about DFI motors but your Beemers already go that route. Flat 6 IMHO sounds:banana: better than any Subaru or BMW. Short answer-I went for all the stock power I could get.:beer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
To me, there is only 1 consideration when buying a sports car - what the driving experience is like. Everything else is secondary - purchase price, resale value, maintenance costs, trunk space, looks and what others may think about it. The only way I judge which sports car I want to buy is to drive it. I would not listen to any anonymous forum poster, however well meaining they might be. I would just go for a test drive.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
To me, there is only 1 consideration when buying a sports car - what the driving experience is like. Everything else is secondary - purchase price, resale value, maintenance costs, trunk space, looks and what others may think about it. The only way I judge which sports car I want to buy is to drive it. I would not listen to any anonymous forum poster, however well meaining they might be. I would just go for a test drive.
But it's simply human nature to seek the approval of your potential peers!:hilarious:

·
Registered
20 Posts

Since your wife has a X3, there shouldn't be any problem in case you need to transport more than 2 people. My Cayman is my first 2 seater and I don't miss the back seats. Usually there are only two of us riding in the car. The luggage space in the front and the back can fit a great deal of things which is very useful when doing grocery shopping.

Porsche and Audi do not offer free routine maintenance. If you mean reliability, Porsche is pretty reliable car. You can search the forum for reliability topics. Most Cayman owners don't have reliability problems. Mine is completely trouble free over the past two years since I took delivery. Routine maintenance is pricey if done in dealer, but not much worse than the BMW 328i I used to own.

I have driven friend's Bimmer 335i and Audi A4. Regardless of what the manufacturer claims, I can feel turbo lag which is a big turn off. On the other hand, response of Cayman is practically instantaneous when you step on the gas paddle.

I decided on the S model because of better brake and torque.

5. I do like an M3, it is NA it is high performer... however I feel like they are too big... What can you guys tell me about the Cayman's (not cayman s) performance on track?

Well, M3 is a high performer if you only drive in straight line :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I actually wanted a 2-seater mid-engine car again. I love the intimacy of the experience of no empty space behind me, and the sound and feel of the engine right there behind my head.

Service costs are kind of high. Even an oil change can run $200 some bucks which is a negative.

The main reason I bought the S over the base model is that I'd have kicked myself later, but in truth both models are nearly identical to drive on the streets. There is a bit more low power torque in the S. It may be easier to re-sell an S since people buying sports cars do tend to ask "how much power does it have?" In reality I'd say both models have more then enough power for street driving and both could get you in trouble/danger quite easily. That said there are times when I wish the S had a bit more pull. The chassis could handle more.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
...5. I do like an M3, it is NA it is high performer... however I feel like they are too big... What can you guys tell me about the Cayman's (not cayman s) performance on track?

Well, M3 is a high performer if you only drive in straight line :)
I don't feel that this is a fair assessment. While the M3 has grown in size and weight with each generation, it is still a damn good performer on the track.

·
Caymudgeon
705 Posts
1. With wife's X3, you'll be fine until/unless you have kids. Then you'll be looking for a back seat again.

2. Aside from free maint, I'd say Porsche parts and maint costs are right on par with BMW and Audi. I've owned all and they all are ridiculously high when compared to Toyota or Honda.

3. I would describe the flat 6 engine as more lively - more responsive - versus inline 6.

4. Horsepower, torque, brakes, desire to be faster on track

5. If you want to go club racing, base Cayman may be more competitive in its class (F) versus Cayman S (I). If you'e just doing DEs and you like power, you'll enjoy the S more, IMO. I suppose if you're leasing you won't be welding in a cage for club race. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
The driving is really high on the list but purchase price should not be secondary. You need to know what you can afford and pick the best car in that range. The cayman is a great car but if funds were unlimited I can't say it would be my first choice. Also, Many people can get a car but can't afford the upkeep and that would be heart breaking to sell your dream car.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Evice: You've already gotten some good feedback above, but I'll provide another datum point anyway. BTW, my other car is a '98 E36 M3 sedan.

1. Interior space. When I first got the Cayman, I missed the useful cargo space behind the front seats that I had in the 911. There is no space behind the front seats in a Cayman (unless you move the seats up for short legs). Instead, you'll have the glove compartment (why do they still call it that?), side pockets on each door, a small ashtray, and a very shallow bin between the seats.

2. My Cayman service costs have been slightly higher than for the M3, but then I autocross and track the Cayman. Apparently dealer service costs (and service quality) vary quite a bit, but costs are generally higher than at good independent Porsche shops. As a guesstimate, a 2-year/20k mile service for an '06 Cayman S may run somewhere between $500 and $1000 at a dealership.

3. BMW inline-6 and Porsche flat-6 both work well. One difference is that you won't be able to see the Cayman's engine by lifting the hood. The more important difference is the switch from front engine/rear drive to mid-engine/rear drive. I much prefer the latter. As some have suggested above, I wouldn't be as concerned about any raw performance gains as I would be about gains in the driving experience. Fortunately, a spirited test drive should give you an indication of any differences.

4. There was only the S when I bought ('06), but I'd still get the S. The power difference is noticeable mostly in the higher rev ranges, but there are other differences as well (e.g., suspension, wheels, etc.)

5. I've tracked my Cayman S completely stock (except for brake pads/fluid and R-comp tires) for over 4 years. I like the steering and handling better than those of my previous 911 RS America which was more track prepared. The RS America was "rawer" and a hand full for me (no power steering for one thing). The Cayman S is easier to drive on track.

I think the new M3s have developed beyond my reasoning and needs. If I were to buy a new BMW now, I'd likely go for the 335is instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One last question, what is the Porsche model refresh frequency ? is it 7 years similar to other Germans?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
On a side note..... any pics of the as for mentioned "Hot wife"?

·
Registered
874 Posts
No kids. and a Hot wife :))
As far as your two vs four seats question is concerned, how much do you use the back seat with no kids? I have no kids at home and I don't miss the back seat. The Cayman offers a fair amount of storage space both front and rear for your convenience. If you are hauling people then the equation changes.

As far as the other point mentioned above, I have to agree with gomarlins. To be taken seriously, proof must be shown. :picsplz:

;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as your two vs four seats question is concerned, how much do you use the back seat with no kids? I have no kids at home and I don't miss the back seat. The Cayman offers a fair amount of storage space both front and rear for your convenience. If you are hauling people then the equation changes.

As far as the other point mentioned above, I have to agree with gomarlins. To be taken seriously, proof must be shown. :picsplz:

;)
Rofl!! I am liking this P9 community more and more hehe

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Blondie certainly qualifies; especially if she's shown sitting in her daily driver.
Yeesh! This is getting creepy.

I can add that a lot of mechanical improvements occurred in '09. Most important for tracking and autocrossing is that the engine oiling was improved.

The pre-09's have a way of going through connecting rod bearings with hard track use. When a bearing goes at high RPM, well, a lot of collateral damage follows. Also, the power steering pumps overheat on hot track days and their plastic parts melt and cause leaks. If you have really bad luck, the power steering fluid leaks down into the center valley of the engine where it gets real hot and catches fire.

The power steering problem is real on the 06-08 cars and a cooler should be installed if you're taking it to the track during the summer. If you don't use R compound tires on the track and don't change the suspension, you'll likely be OK with the stock motor.

Then there's the Vapor-Oil Separator. This thing can allow oil to be sucked through the intake and you get plumes of exhaust smoke. The amount of oil sucked in can be rather a lot, so there is danger of hydraulic lock-up of a piston or of running the car low on oil without realizing it and then having the oiling problem above.

The '09 and '10 cars have improved oiling, improved PS pumps and improved oil separators. Serious trackers should still get a power steering fluid cooler mounted in front of the car behind the left grill. Setrab makes one about 4X4 inches that everyone uses. It's on all the CaymanSpec racers and a lot of the guys down in Indy were using them when I went down there this spring.

One other thing is the brakes on these cars. They are not overly large and they have all this stability control stuff hooked to them that applies one rear brake if you overdo a turn to help you stay out of the ditch. Fine and dandy, but during hard track use, you can overcome the ABS, overheat the rear brakes and actually freeze up the braking system. It's called "ice-pedal" and it's really terrifying. You press on the pedal and it won't go down and you don't stop. You have to remember to pump...and then change your pants when you come into the pits.

There are discussions about this on the forum here. Know what you're getting in to before you decide on this car for hard track use. It takes a lot of work to modify and early car to be truly balls out track ready.

I personally would make sure that the dealer you buy from is an "enthusiast friendly" dealer. There are two kinds of Porsche dealers. One kind has the minimum factory trained mechanics allowed and does everything by cook-book. They hate modifications of any kind and will dream up all kinds of reasons why you should never take a Porsche on a track or change anything. Then there are the enthusiast friendly type who are actually helpful. Get the second type of dealer. Also get a competent non-dealer mechanic who knows these cars.

Now, with all that said, I will tell you that this is my first two seat car too. For a weekend with the wife, this car is great. Plenty of room for two carry on bags, one in front trunk, and one in the back...My wife loves "his and her trunks". There are handy pockets for passenger's stuff. There are terrific cup holders and good seats. When the windows are up, the car is decently quiet too. I have a mild aftermarket exhaust on mine and it's still quite civilized.

My track experience with my car is very limited. I've been an M3 driving instructor with BMW CCA for about 15 years. I took the Cayman to the track this spring, had a great Friday Instructor's Day with it and my newly installed power steering cooler was found to be leaking fluid on the grid the next morning, so I parked it for the weekend.

These are wonderful cars to drive. Get an "S" if you're going to the track. The increase in brake size is needed. If you're just going to commute in it or drive it around and wash it, get a non-S...and get an early one.

If you get and early car with 19" wheels, you should get PASM suspension because it's less harsh on washboard type roads in "normal" than the stock suspension.

These cars aren't for everyone, but they are great driver's cars and can be great sports cars with the right mods. Good luck with your decision.

I think the difference between a boxer and inline six is that inline has higher center of gravity and is a difficult packaging problem which BMW has handled brilliantly. At high RPM, both engines are really smooth and fun. The boxer keeps its weight low and is more square and compact but you get this issue with the Vapor Oil Separator and have to buy and install the GT3 race unit.

There are two ways to go with these cars in my mind. The first is to buy an early one that has not been tracked at a decent price and mod the heck out of it. The second is to buy a pristine '09 and just put the PS cooler on when the warranty is gone.

I guess a 3rd way would be to buy new or lease and leave the car stock then take it to the dealer when it breaks. My Cayman is a mechanical curiosity for me as well as a car, so that's just not my style. I went the first way. Now, after a year or so of work, I have a very nice looking, fun and reliable sports car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts