Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I wouldn't say anything about this sort of thing but given that it has now happened not once, not twice, but THREE times to me in our very own classifieds I feel motivated to say something. An item was listed recently without photos that I was interested in buying. I contacted the seller and asked for photos and asked for payment methods, did they accept PayPal, etc. The seller was not at his computer but rather at a family BBQ and responded via his phone that I'd have to wait until he returned to take/send photos. Ok, no problem, I'll wait. The seller returned and sent me photos, although at this point I'm not in front of the computer. At some point I receive the email on my phone and try to view the pics, and eventually the pics come through (I guess they were large), I had also asked the seller about how much he wanted for it, shipping etc. to which the seller replied with a price and that he had a UPS account that could be used to save on some shipping $, etc. I respond as soon as I could from my phone (within 20 minutes) that OK I'll buy the item and if PayPal doesn't work well for him I could send a check.

Today I get an email wherein the seller tells me that someone else bought it via PayPal 8 minutes before my email came in.

WTF??

I was obviously interested in buying the item, we were obviously negotiating details, I obviously had waited for him to return from a family BBQ and I responded as quickly as I could to his email with an affirmation to buy only to find myself screwed by 8 minutes??

Like I said, I wouldn't say anything but this is the 3rd time something like this has happened to me where the seller suddenly went another direction without even so much as a courtesy "Hey I have another offer/buyer do you want it or not?" sort of communication.

I feel like I need to institute some seller rules here so that sellers who have someone with a bonafide interest in the item they are selling will at least provide a courtesy communication to the original would-be buyer that they have another buyer on the line and need a decision by x date/time.

I mean if I had received an email saying, here are the pics, here is my price, I need your PayPal payment in the next 10 minutes or I am selling it to someone else I could have done so, but at the time I thought PayPal might not even be an option for this seller and hence my question and offer to send a check if PayPal didn't work for him.

Anyway, I am disgruntled. Need beer... :beer:

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
looks like instant gratification works both ways in this new world of "I want it right now." No longer is it just with the buyers....now the sellers want it fast as well.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
While I think that the audience here is vastly different from that of the BMW 3 series boards, over there buyers flake. Sellers just want a sure thing and make it a horse race with the finish line being their paypal account.

I do agree with the courtesy notes that you'd described. Seems fair to both the first interested party as well as addition interested parties.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
There's little you can do except harass the seller (post in his ad) the next time he sells something.

I was putting a trip together from eastern montana to LA to buy a pair of manual sport seats and wanted to make the trip more worthwile -- I was looking for some cheap track wheels.

I found a seller of some old/heavy/basic turbo twists who gave me his phone number and address, setup a meeting at a local supermarket and comitted to a price.

I get to the supermarket, no wheels; I go buy the seats, come back, no wheels ... the a$$hole was off snowboarding ... then he couldn't make it down 'till evening.

That evening he said he couldn't sell the wheels at the price he quoted ... things degraded after that.

long story short (too late) the next time I saw he had things for sale on 6speedonline, I posted a 'caveat emptor' to other potential buyers. That became a pissing contest ... but w/ each bogus claim on his part I just cut/pasted pieces of our emails to support my claims.

At the end he finally shut up. He hasn't tried to sell anything more, at least by his handle.

Yes, this was harassment but I was also posting a warning to other potential buyers.

ymmv.

-PM

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I don't think the seller in this instance was being a flake or a scam artist or anything, and he wasn't out snowboarding AFAIK, but again just a simple courtesy of first come first serve, open communication, etc. would prevent any hard feelings. If this had been something I was counting on for say a particular event (like track wheels, etc.) then I'm sure I'd be really steamed. I would hope the seller of the item would realize that the person who runs the website they are selling their item on wouldn't be a flake for a buyer, I don't ever express interest in something unless I'm willing to buy, I don't want to waste my time or the sellers. Even though the seller wouldn't know that, I would have thought he would have known I wasn't a flake or some random Joe.

I think if the situation were reversed I would have been raked over the coals publicly and of course that wouldn't have ended well. :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I can't tell you the number of times people have said to me that they want to buy something and they will be right over...and never are heard from again. This courtesy thing works both ways. I understand the frustration of an honest person who means it when he says he will buy something, but the seller never knows if he is dealing with an honest person or not. I usually tell a buyer that the first person who get here with cash gets the car.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Generalized society in decline. Buyers or Sellers, it's the attitude: Me and My Needs First, all others can F themselves. Hopefully Ken, you'll find what you're looking for from someone else w/ better social training.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,875 Posts
K-Man S:
Sorry to hear about these transgressions, especially to the founder of the website!
FWIW, over the past 3+ years I've purchased several used items through the classifieds on this website, and several new items from its sponsors, and in every case I've been 100% satisfied with the open communications and accountable behavior of all participants.
Regards,
Croc'ed

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K-Man S:
Sorry to hear about these transgressions, especially to the founder of the website!
FWIW, over the past 3+ years I've purchased several used items through the classifieds on this website, and several new items from its sponsors, and in every case I've been 100% satisfied with the open communications and accountable behavior of all participants.
Regards,
Croc'ed
Good to hear, hopefully this was just anothe anamoly, I did email the seller laying out my position and asking for an explanation and he hasn't replied.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good to hear, hopefully this was just anothe anamoly, I did email the seller laying out my position and asking for an explanation and he hasn't replied.

How do you know that the person that ended up buying the item wasn't already in communication with the seller before you? The seller could have sent you info etc. just in case the first person decided to back out, just another way of looking at it.

Tass

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you know that the person that ended up buying the item wasn't already in communication with the seller before you? The seller could have sent you info etc. just in case the first person decided to back out, just another way of looking at it.

Tass
I don't, but considering that I contacted the seller originally within 5 minutes or less of the item being listed because I get email updates when items get listed. At no time did the seller ever mention anyone else being interested and so far still no response from the seller to my email asking for a response. I'm gettingthe feeling he knows he screwed up and isn't sure what to do now and perhaps thinks if he ignores me I will just forget about it and go away, when actually the reverse is true, the more he ignores it the more apt I am to take action against him for doing so. :)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
It sounds like the seller is a jerk. I doubt rules will fix that.

I've had mostly good luck with the P-9 classifieds. The only time thing went awry was with a set of wheels from a dealer. The "perfect" wheels turned out not to be, and then the seller accused me of hurting them during unpacking. Right.

Stuff just happens. After about six purchases I think the system basically works as is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have read the thread and here is the rest of the story:1) posted item on site on sunday morning; 2)received request for photos from K man and another member; 3) take photos and email to both at 1334 hrs; 3) go to family BBQ;4)at 14:34 other member send me an email that he sent the money to paypal but i did not get the email until after I had email exchange with Kman asking for additional information. 5) Kman says he will take the racks but I get email from other member that he had already sent the money to Paypal; 6) I advise Kman.
this world of selling on the internet is first come first served. i have no interest in defrauding some one. Kman lost out because the other guy put up the $ before Kman committed, it is that simple. and for those that think I should have not sold to the other person because Kman wanted them after the fact and he owns the website-- in my book that would be dishonest and if Kman believes that then his site loses credibilty as a market place. I am hopeful that he does not think that way.......
Look, I am just a car guy who wanted to sell some racks sitting in the garage, I am not an ebay hound or an auctioneer. sorry there is such hard feelings over, really, a non issue

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have read the thread and here is the rest of the story:1) posted item on site on sunday morning; 2)received request for photos from K man and another member; 3) take photos and email to both at 1334 hrs; 3) go to family BBQ;4)at 14:34 other member send me an email that he sent the money to paypal but i did not get the email until after I had email exchange with Kman asking for additional information. 5) Kman says he will take the racks but I get email from other member that he had already sent the money to Paypal; 6) I advise Kman.
this world of selling on the internet is first come first served. i have no interest in defrauding some one. Kman lost out because the other guy put up the $ before Kman committed, it is that simple. and for those that think I should have not sold to the other person because Kman wanted them after the fact and he owns the website-- in my book that would be dishonest and if Kman believes that then his site loses credibilty as a market place. I am hopeful that he does not think that way.......
Look, I am just a car guy who wanted to sell some racks sitting in the garage, I am not an ebay hound or an auctioneer. sorry there is such hard feelings over, really, a non issue
I think you are leaving out some material facts which I explained to you in email and to which you haven't responded to including your response about taking paypal and you asking to talk the next day. You just admitted to having 2 prospective buyers on the line supposedly at the same time, something never disclosed and I can certainly post my emails with time/date stamps to corroborate what I am saying. I never said you were an eBay scammer, an in fact I never mentioned you or the product in question so as to try and keep people out of it personally since I wanted to focus on whether or not we need some rule changes here to try to accommodate common courtesy. If someone wants to blame me for not sitting in front of the computer 24x7 and hammering on the buy-it-now button sight unseen on an item for sale then so be it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't, but considering that I contacted the seller originally within 5 minutes or less of the item being listed because I get email updates when items get listed. At no time did the seller ever mention anyone else being interested and so far still no response from the seller to my email asking for a response. I'm gettingthe feeling he knows he screwed up and isn't sure what to do now and perhaps thinks if he ignores me I will just forget about it and go away, when actually the reverse is true, the more he ignores it the more apt I am to take action against him for doing so. :)

Ah, makes sense, not trying to be argumentative, just offering a different point of view from me buying and selling via the internet over the years.

Tass

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seeing that I am the person that bought the item in question here are my comments:

1. If you snooze you lose.
2. There was a buy it now button in the add. It takes you directly to Paypal to pay for the item.
3. I requested photos, and immediately upon receipt, (probably the exact same time as the other interested party) I went to the classifieds and pressed the button and paid for the item.
4. I won. End of Play.
5. Seller was honourable in allowing the winner to get the prize. A rare attribute today.
6. All negative comments against the seller are totally absurd. Honesty should be appreciated not criticized.
7. I also have the Paypal receipt as a timeline on the transaction.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seeing that I am the person that bought the item in question here are my comments:

1. If you snooze you lose.
2. There was a buy it now button in the add. It takes you directly to Paypal to pay for the item.
3. I requested photos, and immediately upon receipt, (probably the exact same time as the other interested party) I went to the classifieds and pressed the button and paid for the item.
4. I won. End of Play.
5. Seller was honourable in allowing the winner to get the prize. A rare attribute today.
6. All negative comments against the seller are totally absurd. Honesty should be appreciated not criticized.
7. I also have the Paypal receipt as a timeline on the transaction.
Congrats on getting the item, but a few facts you should be aware of.

1) I saw the buy it now button on the ad, that is why I asked the seller about using PayPal to pay for it, we have a lot of people who check that off on their listing, but then actually don't have a PayPal account so it ends up being non-functional. When I asked him about paying with PayPal in order to verify I got back an email stating that he used paypal usually for payments he wasn't sure how he would actually get paid via paypal. That is why I offered a check or other form of payment to him if it was easier for him and I was waiting on a REPLY from him before clicking the button or sending a check. I never got that reply.

2) I also asked about shipping since the ad didn't say how much for shipping, etc. and I got back a message that he had a UPS account we could use to save on shipping if I didn't have one, but he'd have to check on Monday (the next day) to get me pricing information on that and that he would contact me on Monday with the details.

So I saw no need to press the buy it now button given the information I had received back from him, but rather I sent him an email to consider it sold and I would await his additional information. Instead he sold it to you. That's fine, that's his perogative to sell to whomever he wants to, I just think he could have handled the situation better. For example, if I asked for pics before you, then didn't you benefit from my earlier request to spur him to take pics and send them? Likewise in reverse? Would have been nice if he had said to either of us "I've got people asking me for pics, please standby while I take some and get them out to everyone" etc. Again, there was never anything any communication from him that he was also dealing with you, instead his communications to me were all laid back, no rush, we'll figure out payment, we'll figure out shipping, etc. not "Hey you better decide right now because I have other buyers on the line".

I'm sure if you had the same email communication with the seller that I did you'd feel the same way. What's funny is now I am getting spam email from the seller's email address, wonder if he has a virus or something or if that's just directed at me? :eek: :hilarious:

BTW you didn't "Win" anything, it wasn't an auction, and as far as I knew, it wasn't a "competition" to get the item...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Congrats on getting the item, but a few facts you should be aware of.

1) I saw the buy it now button on the ad, that is why I asked the seller about using PayPal to pay for it, we have a lot of people who check that off on their listing, but then actually don't have a PayPal account so it ends up being non-functional. When I asked him about paying with PayPal in order to verify I got back an email stating that he used paypal usually for payments he wasn't sure how he would actually get paid via paypal. That is why I offered a check or other form of payment to him if it was easier for him and I was waiting on a REPLY from him before clicking the button or sending a check. I never got that reply.

2) I also asked about shipping since the ad didn't say how much for shipping, etc. and I got back a message that he had a UPS account we could use to save on shipping if I didn't have one, but he'd have to check on Monday (the next day) to get me pricing information on that and that he would contact me on Monday with the details.

So I saw no need to press the buy it now button given the information I had received back from him, but rather I sent him an email to consider it sold and I would await his additional information. Instead he sold it to you. That's fine, that's his perogative to sell to whomever he wants to, I just think he could have handled the situation better. For example, if I asked for pics before you, then didn't you benefit from my earlier request to spur him to take pics and send them? Likewise in reverse? Would have been nice if he had said to either of us "I've got people asking me for pics, please standby while I take some and get them out to everyone" etc. Again, there was never anything any communication from him that he was also dealing with you, instead his communications to me were all laid back, no rush, we'll figure out payment, we'll figure out shipping, etc. not "Hey you better decide right now because I have other buyers on the line".

I'm sure if you had the same email communication with the seller that I did you'd feel the same way. What's funny is now I am getting spam email from the seller's email address, wonder if he has a virus or something or if that's just directed at me? :eek: :hilarious:

BTW you didn't "Win" anything, it wasn't an auction, and as far as I knew, it wasn't a "competition" to get the item...
It has been said there are two kinds of men in this world. Those that ask a bunch of questions, and those that hit the "buy it now" button.

'nuff said.:taunt:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I get email updates when items get listed........

Isn't that an unfair advantage over the rest of us that might be interested......it is called Karma:hilarious:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.