Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So long story short, I was not looking to buy at this point in time, but I came across a 2014 Cayman S for a pretty good price. The car was the demo, so the warranty started last year some time. Never titled and being sold as new. They are providing a CPO with the car.

Is there any thing the CPO does not cover that I should be worried about. Not sure exactly how much time is left on the original warranty. Build date is Nov. 2013. Sales guy says the CPO is the same just longer.

The car only has 265 miles on it.

Any thoughts and / or advice? Plan is to pick it up tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hey all,

So long story short, I was not looking to buy at this point in time, but I came across a 2014 Cayman S for a pretty good price. The car was the demo, so the warranty started last year some time. Never titled and being sold as new. They are providing a CPO with the car.

Is there any thing the CPO does not cover that I should be worried about. Not sure exactly how much time is left on the original warranty. Build date is Nov. 2013. Sales guy says the CPO is the same just longer.

The car only has 265 miles on it.

Any thoughts and / or advice? Plan is to pick it up tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday).
Not sure how Porsche does it, but normally with most CPO cars, the original warranty holds through the 4 years from what is typically the date the car first sold. Since it sounds like this car never sold but has far more miles on it than most new Porsches, you'll need to ask them when the four years began and get confirmation about when it ends. Often with CPO cars, there are 2 additional years of warranty tacked on to the initial 4 years, but in this case you'll need to ask because if the car was never titled methinks they may not add 2 additional years. Even if they do, you'll need to ask them how those 2 additional years are different from the first 4. There are generally significant differences. For example, those 2 additional years may have deductibles attached to them and they may not cover certain items that are covered by the initial warranty. Each company is different. E.g., BMW provides all the servicing free in the initial 4-year warranty but does not cover any maintenance costs in the additional 2 years of the CPO warranty.

Bottom line: you've got to ask all these questions and see the answers in writing so you can't get surprised down the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. Usually the warranty starts when the vehicle is sold, but it depends on how the dealer titled/used the car as a demo - they may have "bought" it, so the warranty started then. You'll need to ask them.

2. The original warranty is pretty much everything except for wear items. The Porsche CPO is similar, and a pretty good program... for many other manufacturers, a CPO may limit coverage (such as the radio or nav) and have a deductible.

3. The Porsche CPO warranty is transferable, if someone buys the car down the road.

4. CPO vehicles down the road have higher resale, especially on a 4+ year old car. I tended to see $2k difference or more.

5. Read more here: Porsche Approved Certified Limited Warranty - Porsche Approved - Pre-owned Cars - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My 2014 Cayman S was CPOed with 46 miles. Warranty date was when dealer took delivery, 9 months before, but they gave 6 years total.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When I received the CPO for my 987.2S, I was surprised at what was not covered, or how Porsche will use the "wear items" as an out. For example, I never would have thought that they would not cover suspension arms/components. Technically, yes they are wear items, but in my opinion should certainly last the life of the warranty. I did not have suspension problems, but in discussion, the dealer had mentioned that as one of the case-by-case examples where that has been an issue. "Wear items" can cover a surprising percentage of the car, as interpreted by Porsche.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I received the CPO for my 987.2S, I was surprised at what was not covered, or how Porsche will use the "wear items" as an out. For example, I never would have thought that they would not cover suspension arms/components. Technically, yes they are wear items, but in my opinion should certainly last the life of the warranty. I did not have suspension problems, but in discussion, the dealer had mentioned that as one of the case-by-case examples where that has been an issue. "Wear items" can cover a surprising percentage of the car, as interpreted by Porsche.
Interesting. The driver's side rear strut on my car developed a nasty squeak (internal failure, apparently), and the dealer replaced it under CPO without question. I'm assuming it was pretty clear that it failed and was not the result of wear.

OP, Porsche CPO is 6 years or 100,000 miles. And it's totally worth it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Coverage is very similar but not the same. I was told that adjustments (i.e.: creaks and squeaks) are not covered and isn't there a deductible applied on a per claim basis? The dealer incurrs a substantial expense to add CPO for a car that, in this case, had very little mileage on it. I wonder what the actual in service date was ?

Not sure how different Canada is to the US but at the time I purchased my car, it was a year old with even fewer miles (175 kms=109 miles). At the time of negotiation, I was told I would have to pay extra for CPO as the discount agreed to was already quite substantial and I understand CPO can be added after the fact provided its prior to the factory warranty running out ...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Assuming the dealer got it roughly 2 months after it was built, early 2014, you should have roughly 5 years left of the CPO warranty. The clock on the 6 year warranty starts when it enters service, so if they got it say Jan. 2014, you have roughly 5 years left. With only a couple hundred miles on it wear on tires and brakes should be negligible, but since it has been in service for over a year, I'd insist on an oil change before taking delivery and even an alignment if you can get done. Go over the car with a fine tooth comb from a appearance standpoint to see if there are any chips that need to be fixed.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Assuming the dealer got it roughly 2 months after it was built, early 2014, you should have roughly 5 years left of the CPO warranty. The clock on the 6 year warranty starts when it enters service, so if they got it say Jan. 2014, you have roughly 5 years left. With only a couple hundred miles on it wear on tires and brakes should be negligible, but since it has been in service for over a year, I'd insist on an oil change before taking delivery and even an alignment if you can get done. Go over the car with a fine tooth comb from a appearance standpoint to see if there are any chips that need to be fixed.
Actually the warranty begins when the car is "punched", not when the dealer takes delivery.
A demo sports car puts to test the question of how important it is to break-in a car according to factory recommendations. There are very few certainties in life, but one of them is that a Porsche demo was not broken-in according to factory recommendations.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Suspension arms, struts, etc... should all be covered. The rubber bushings? Likely not... wear item. Same as clutches, brake pads, rotors, tires, interior blemishes, wiper blades, etc.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Suspension arms, struts, etc... should all be covered. The rubber bushings? Likely not... wear item. Same as clutches, brake pads, rotors, tires, interior blemishes, wiper blades, etc.
Rubber bushings in the suspension arms are not replaceable, so that makes the arms wear items.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's just a two year and 100,000 mile whichever comes first extension to your original warranty. I had an RMS leak fixed under CPO warranty, saved me ~$1,500. It's nice to have.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's just a two year and 100,000 mile whichever comes first extension to your original warranty. I had an RMS leak fixed under CPO warranty, saved me ~$1,500. It's nice to have.
I agree - have it on my winter car as it was included. I question whether it would be worth purchasing for a low mileage relatively new vehicle with 3 years of warranty left (its approx. $3k CND up here) ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
According to the Porsche CPO inspection paperwork, an oil and filter change is required when the CPO inspection is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts