Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended tonight at a stop light, not too hard but knocked me forward about 10 feet. The damage was from his license plate bracket and cracked my bumper. I am hoping no structural damage.

Question, do I take it to the dealership to have them swap out the bumper? Do you want a dealership checking for structural damage or a repair shop?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage.

I would recommend that you go directly to the body shop/collision center of your choice. Most dealers sub out this specialty work so why deal with a middle man who only limits your communication and makes money off of you?

Also, if you go through the dealer for the repairs they will more than likely be reported to Carfax.

If you don't know of a good independent collision center for Porsches, you can try this link. www.porschecollisioncenter.com/

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the link. The closest result is actually the one shop I have used in the past on my BMWs.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Make lemonade with lemons you've got. If they installing new bumper - it can be a very good chance to get rid of fugly license plate surround!

BTW, there is a lot of nothing behind this spot, so I highly doubt any structural damage.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T-Design, i loved the suggestion with the plate bracket and requeted it. I am excited for that, easier to clean as well!!!

Good news, only the small crack from the other guys license plate braket on the bumper, no damage underneith.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
There's a thread somewhere about a 911 that had what appeared to be just a cracked bumper cover and the damage ended up very nearly writing off the car. Make sure you have it properly looked at by a certified shop and don't brush it off as minor until you know for sure it is. Being knocked forward 10 feet is no small impact!

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a thread somewhere about a 911 that had what appeared to be just a cracked bumper cover and the damage ended up very nearly writing off the car. Make sure you have it properly looked at by a certified shop and don't brush it off as minor until you know for sure it is. Being knocked forward 10 feet is no small impact!
They are a Certified Porsche Shop and its all under insurance, I dont see them taking short cuts. They pulled the bumper off and looked around, not sure what else to do??

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If they've had the bumper off and inspected it and know what they're dealing with then I'm sure you're fine.

It took a bit of digging, but this is the thread I had in mind. I have no idea whether someone here linked to it or I ended up at it through some other means, but I read it recently so this is what came to mind when I read your story. :)

So you think it's just a bumper job, huh? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
They are a Certified Porsche Shop and its all under insurance, I dont see them taking short cuts. They pulled the bumper off and looked around, not sure what else to do??
If certified shop checked and said it's fine - than I'm not sure what else can you do but enjoy driving your car!

Reactions: Wild Weasel
1 - 10 of 10 Posts