Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To replace the mass air flow sensor on my 987 Boxster base (2.7L) I had to remove the throttle body. In the process, I accidentally cracked the locking mechanism on the electrical connector on the throttle body. I don't see a replacement electrical connector plug listed in parts catalogs and replacing the wiring harness seems a bit excessive. Does anyone know if that electrical connector is a stand alone replacement part and, if so, what is it called (part number, etc.) and where might I find one? The plug still fits snuggly within the connector so my backup plan to lock it in place will be to try to lock it in with a plastic wiring tie or even duct tape as last resort. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
To replace the mass air flow sensor on my 987 Boxster base (2.7L) I had to remove the throttle body. In the process, I accidentally cracked the locking mechanism on the electrical connector on the throttle body. I don't see a replacement electrical connector plug listed in parts catalogs and replacing the wiring harness seems a bit excessive. Does anyone know if that electrical connector is a stand alone replacement part and, if so, what is it called (part number, etc.) and where might I find one? The plug still fits snuggly within the connector so my backup plan to lock it in place will be to try to lock it in with a plastic wiring tie or even duct tape as last resort. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
A carefully placed plastic locking zip tie ought to secure the connector just fine. Just be sure not to pinch any wires, and position the latch where you can safely access and snip it if you need to disconnect it in the future.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ozone865

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Croc'ed... That is plan B. I was hoping to replace the connector but unfortunately haven't been successful in locating the connector on any of the common parts sites. Left a message inquiry for Pelican to see if they can help. I would even entertain replacing a managable (small localized) segment of the wiring harness if it includes that connector. From looking at the 987 wiring diagram it appears there are lots of sub-segments but was unable to identify the wire and connector that goes to the throttle body. Any assistance anyone can provide to identify the parts or even suggest a potentially more reliable temporary fix would be appreciated. I like options.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You don't say where the crack is or how wide the crack its. Is it the catch of the connector or the body of the connector that cracked? From the way you describe it, can we assume it is still in one piece with a crack? You might attempt a repair. If it is a hairline crack, you might try an anaerobic adhesive. They will wick into a crack fairly well, depending on their viscosity and the width of the crack. Loctite offers a range of adhesives all the way down to one so thin it will wick into hairline weld cracks, where it hardens and seals. If that sounds like it would work, I would try to weakly clamp it with a small spring clamp or maybe small needle nose Vicegrip pliers, if you can get to it. Be careful not to clamp too tight or you will probably break it. For wider cracks, a more viscous anaerobic might work. Or perhaps even a silicone adhesive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks PCA1983... The actual connector housing is fine. It is the clip that surrounds the male connector and secures it into place that is the problem. The connector was being obstinate so I employed my pliers and apparently applied a bit too much force. The female receiver on the throttle body is fine as is the male connector plug itself but the connector locking mechanism that surrounds the male end of the connector is... no more. I am reasonably certain I can easily get a good electrical connection by plugging the two together but need to ensure they stay in place. If I can't get a replacement part, the idea of a small electrical wiring zip-tie came to mind as did using something as simple as electrical tape or a small piece of black duct tape. Maybe even a small dab of rubber-based cement that would easily disconnect when forceably pulled. My only apprehension regarding the zip-tie and glue solution is heat. Unsure how much heat either of those solutions can handle and the throttle body is right on top of the engine. Still hoping someone can identify the wire and the segment of wiring harness it is connected to and see if it is feasible to get a new connector by buying a small sub-segment of the wiring harness.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ssburns... The URL above points to a connector for the MAF. Nice to know but I'm actually looking for a replacement for the cable plug on the electronic throttle adjuster and that doesn't appear to be listed on E-Bay or anywhere else for that matter. It is possible the connector is known by a different name although that is the name used in the 987 repair manual. The Pelican parts folks tell me the connector is not sold individually but is part of the engine wiring harness. If anyone feels differently, please advise. Also, I'm still interested in repairing or otherwise securing the modifying the damaged plug to ensure it stays in the receptacle but is removable for repair. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Racergreg... yes. I have thought about it. Looked on-line but haven't found anything like that listed by salvage yards. The next step is to actually call a few. They would likely approach it like Pelican Parts and want to sell the entire engine harness versus clipping off a single connector killing the sale for the entire harness but it is worth a shot. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
-r

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Racergreg... yes. I have thought about it. Looked on-line but haven't found anything like that listed by salvage yards. The next step is to actually call a few. They would likely approach it like Pelican Parts and want to sell the entire engine harness versus clipping off a single connector killing the sale for the entire harness but it is worth a shot. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
-r
I think you're asking for trouble if you try to splice a connector into a perfectly good wiring harness. The proper way to replace a connector is to disengage each pin from it individually, and reinsert it into the new connector in the identical location. To me, even this repair is too much pain for little to no gain. My advice would be: rig up an alternate means to secure the connector, and don't make a bad situation worse. Heck, a shoelace would even work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ozone865

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Croc'ed. I agree. However, even though I agree a fastening hack is better than a splice, I assume the fix preferred by an authorized Porsche repair shop would recommend replacing the engine harness to resolve the issue. Still awaiting a quote on the part and labor to accomplish this. In the interim, I'm applying the hack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys... I thank you all for your responses. Got the quote today for the engine wiring harness; $1,300. So... I will be applying the zip-tie hack described above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.