Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my windows yesterday when I noticed the passenger side rearview mirror was cracked, from the pic you might be able to discern a dark spot in the crack which is actually a small divot. The discoloration makes me think it was a thermal issue but I really haven't had to need to defrost the mirrors here in the heat of summer.

Fortunately my car is still under warranty, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very odd! I hope you are right on the warranty comment. My wife has an X5 and it too has auto dimming glass like the 981. Someone hit her mirror and I had to replace the glass! Nearly $500 for the glass alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: iiagdtr

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent an email to the local Porsche dealer, waiting to hear back. I trust this is covered, but guess we'll see.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If not determined to be a warranty item, then it certainly is a comprehensive coverage insurance claim. That of course would involve deductibles but in my case it's only $100 so if it's a $500 repair it's the way to go. Depends on the deductible. Good luck with the warranty claim.:cheers:

·
Registered
483 Posts
We had a member here who smacked his mirror into a garage. The cost to replace was incredible as I recall, far beyond the $500 being tossed around. Eye-wateringly far beyond. So much so I printed it, waived it in front of wife and admonished her to keep this in mind while backing in garage!

Far, far, far beyond!!!

Good luck to OP, hope it's covered.

eta - that instance was for someone with folding mirrors (as I have), but hopefully the OP is lucky enough not to!
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...passenger-side-mirror-2.html?highlight=mirror

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They aren't folding mirrors thank god. Btw the service department did not contact me today, already non-plussed. I can go to the dealer or a very good independent shop for the repair if it turns out it isn't covered under warranty.

Thanks everyone for your comments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very odd! I hope you are right on the warranty comment. My wife has an X5 and it too has auto dimming glass like the 981. Someone hit her mirror and I had to replace the glass! Nearly $500 for the glass alone.

Wow, this is very close, around $470 (from Porsche) plus labor. SMH. I asked to see if they could locate a used part. I get it this is an expensive car, but JHC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow, this is very close, around $470 (from Porsche) plus labor. SMH. I asked to see if they could locate a used part. I get it this is an expensive car, but JHC.
Ugghhh! That's what I was afraid of! Glad it is fixed but sorry for the massive spend!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't had it fixed yet, hoping they can locate a less expensive replacement. Plus watching hurricane Irma, it is trending east and if we have to leave the croc behind the mirror may be the least of my problems. :)

Wish I knew what happened, but any guesses would be pure conjecture. The dash cam(s) are moving up my want list.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i have those in stock..

they have 5 different variants.. so when ordering.. have your vin ready..

Lemon
Sounds like it is easy to replace, this post was for a 987, is the 981 the same? I'm still searching on a 981 mirror replacement article or video.

"There's an article on how to remove it, but its basically adjust your mirror so the outside part sticks out so you can get your fingers behind it, and then just pull.. It will snap out, and will feel like your breaking it, but you should be fine."

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have those in stock..

they have 5 different variants.. so when ordering.. have your vin ready..

Lemon
FYI I emailed my info but did not get a response.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We had a member here who smacked his mirror into a garage. The cost to replace was incredible as I recall, far beyond the $500 being tossed around. Eye-wateringly far beyond. So much so I printed it, waived it in front of wife and admonished her to keep this in mind while backing in garage!

Far, far, far beyond!!!

Good luck to OP, hope it's covered.

eta - that instance was for someone with folding mirrors (as I have), but hopefully the OP is lucky enough not to!
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...passenger-side-mirror-2.html?highlight=mirror
That user that broke the mirror would be me. :( I stayed with Porsche because this car is just so special. Just hope I don't bust any other "minor" things. Anything major and i am going to be SOL!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I ended up ordering the replacement mirror from Pelican Parts. The removal and replacement was quite easy and I certainly saved a few dollars on the part and labor. Tomorrow will be a through cleaning, have some finger prints to remove. :)

Reactions: AndyA6
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.