Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why you should just drive the car, and not treat it like a $5 Million Painting.

I went with my brother-in-law to my favorite bicycle shop to help him pick out a bike. I parked the car, and went inside. A few minutes later, a woman who was renting a bike from the shop loses her balance and crashes into my parked car, resulting in a couple of small scratches, and a cracked windshield (needs to be replaced).

Everyone wants to know why I didn't go nuts. First, it's only a car, and second, it was an accident. The poor woman was horrified, and offered to pay for the windshield replacement. I told her to calm down, and enjoy her bike ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree 100%, too many garage queens on this site for me and from the post on the poor lsd that Porsche is putting in Caymans and other models, it looks as if the company is only interested in the garage queen crowd. Too bad, if it keeps going the way it seems to be, then they will fail as a company. :hilarious:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Totally agree...I wont deny that if it gets scratched, stone chipped or the windshield cracks that I dont get a little annoyed but fundamentally, I think the more you drive it the more you get the value that you paid out of it....I had my first cayman for just about 2 years and put 50k miles on it. Ive had my second one now for 5 months and already done 10k miles. Ive taken both to Switzerland a couple of times (beautiful mountain roads!), England once or twice (track days), France, Belgium, Holland and most of Germany and experiencing different scenery, different roads etc is part of loving driving in these cars.

I could understand it being a garage queen if it was bought with the intention of keeping it for many many years and therefore wanting to keep it "new" as long as possible....but Id prefer to drive them as much as I can and then get a new one every 2 - 4 years.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Interesting. You helped her through what could have been an ugly situation and I'm sure you felt much better yourself as the day went on.

Sometimes it's just nice to be nice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not the typical porsche owner.
Buying my Cayman S stretched my budget
more than any other car every has.
That said... I have no regrets.
And you can be darn sure I'm gonna have to buy a new set of tires before the summer is out.
She is the queen of my garage...
but she is also the mean b!+<h of the road.
I'm going for a drive.
:banana:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a used base model so that I didn't really need to change my lifestyle any. I could have gone with the S for an extra 10 grand, but thats 10 more grand of worry and less monthly cash should something go wrong. I'll eventually get a clear bra and fix the chip in the windshield I got during my first week of ownership, but I bought it to drive it. That stuff happens.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't even cleaned the tire bugger marks off the car from track days in two years

·
Registered
116 Posts
38,000 miles on my 2007 2.7. Loved every one, can't wait to put more on it. How can one not drive their Cayman? (not meant to flame, just unfathomable for me, personally) Going for a drive!:banana:

·
Registered
265 Posts
You're the kind of man that thinks stone chips are character building! Good for you. I drive my car like I stole it everytime I get in. Except for tonight, cause it's snowing...
:drivingskid:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts