Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a recommendation for a company near Alexandria, Va replacing a crack windshield on their Porsche. There are many windshield repair places in the area but I'm not sure how many have experience working on a Porsche or if prior experience is something I should insists upon by the technician.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
most porsche dealership contract the job outside to a local glass guy... you may wanna ask the dealership who? its usually not a secret.. and most of the time insurance covers it..

lemon

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It all depends on what tech you get, in my xp the local Safelite is a good choice in central NC. I used to read reviews for smaller shops and later found out they did incorrect poor quality work after safelite redid it on the 3rd windshield and now I exclusively use them. They must apply primer to the cuts they make from getting the glue off (to prevent it from starting to rust) and also the glue must be applied in a 'wavy standing T seam' pattern and not using a cheap caulk gun with a thick bead...or there will be tiny air gaps (probably will get some of these anyway). They are supposed to remove the windshield without taking out a jack hammer or other large prying tools that could damage the interior...this means slowly cutting and prying...something most shops don't have the patience for (they just do whatever it takes to get the thing out and hope you don't notice interior scratches. It must be aligned correctly and new glue used that drys so fast you don't need to tape it...if they tape yours, they used some cheap **** to save money. The original glue must be removed and wiped off using chemicals and not quickly "take off as much as possible as fast as possible.' Many scrubs replace glass and the profit comes in from 'go in and go out mobile,' so they'll rush the **** out of the job...make sure they don't do that.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I would call up your insurance company and get approval for OEM glass. Have the glass install done at the dealer. If you don't get OEM glass you could potenially get the cheap Chinese glass which is crap. Do you have a zero glass deductible? If not it is not expensive and worth looking into.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I called Tysons Collision Center and they referred me to All American Glass. I'm going to follow up and inquire about OEM Glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts